Status: Currently being re-edited. Chapters 1-10 have been re-edited.

A Muggle at Hogwarts

Ch. 5: The Frog who Turned Into...Draco Malfoy?

"Violet, get up!" Hermione said shaking me. “Come on, you have to get ready.”

"Is it morning already?" I groaned as I lazily opened my eyes to be greeted by the bright ray of light that shined through the window. I groaned and covered my eyes. I had such a hard time falling asleep last night. The events with Draco kept playing in my head. It just made me angry, and thus I had trouble falling asleep.

"Yes! Now get up before we're late for breakfast!" Hermione said cheerfully before she walked out of our room.

I groaned as I moved the sheets from my face and glared at Hermione. “You’re a morning person, aren’t you?” I croaked.

“Hurry up. Ron and Harry will be waiting for us downstairs in a few moments,” Hermione urged as she left the room.

I sighed heavily before kicking my blankets off and began to get ready. It wasn’t too long before I was heading out of the room with my leather schoolbag hanging over my shoulder.

“Oh, that’s not right!” I groaned as I fumbled with my red and gold tie. I let out a frustrated groan as I stepped into the Gryffindor common room. “Hermione, would you mind lending me a hand?”

“What did you need help with?” came a voice, but it was not Hermione’s.

“Harry!” I gasped as I looked up. “W—where’s Hermione?” I asked as I scanned the room. She did seem to be in the room, however.

"She left for breakfast with Ron and Ginny just a moment ago," Harry replied as he gestured towards the door.

"So, much for waiting," I whispered under my breath.

“What do you need help with?” Harry questioned as he approached me.

“Well,” I said looking down at the loose tie around my neck, “I don’t really know how to tie a tie.”

“I can easily help you with that,” Harry smiled. As he reached for the tie, he suddenly stopped and asked, “I—I mean, if—if it’s fine with you, that is.”

“Oh, of course!” I smiled.

He smiled. “Okay. So, it’s really easy, actually,” Harry said as he undid the knot I made. He talked me through the procedures as he went about tying the tie. He struggled a few times himself, though I think it had more to do with him being nervous than anything else.

“There you go,” Harry smiled as he finished.

“Thanks, Harry!” I smiled as I put my book bag down and slipped on my gray sweatshirt.

“You look—” Harry paused for a moment as he stared at me. A small smile then formed on his face as he said, “You look good in that uniform.”

I smiled. “Why thank you. Of course, you deserve some credit for the tie.”

“Well, of course.” He then went over to the red couch and grabbed his belongs before suggesting the two of us went down and grabbed some breakfast.

“Actually, I was thinking about exploring a little bit,” I informed. “I want to find my routes to class so that I’m not late—especially since one of those class is with Snape.”

“O—oh,” he stuttered. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah,” I nodded. “But don’t let me stop you. Please, head down stairs and eat.”

“Well, I’ll show you the way then,” offered Harry. “After all, we do have many classes together.”

“But aren’t you going to be hungry?”

“It’s fine. Ron is always sneaking food into class anyways,” Harry beamed back.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah. Come on, let’s go,” Harry smiled as we headed out of the Gryffindor Tower.

As Harry and I walked down the long hallways and stairs, we talked about general things—the school, the teachers. Harry then started telling me about the special events which occurs at Hogwarts. I was very much looking forward to them. Reading about them in books would not compare to the real thing, I strongly believed.

Talking really passed the time because before I knew it, Harry and I walked my routes a few times, and then departed for our first class. The day went on and after lunch, Harry and I departed Hermione and Ron early to get to the Potion room.
The room was just like I imagined it—a small space with little lighting, dark wooden tables covered in flasks and test tubes. At the very back of the small was a small desk—probably Snape’s—and then a door that probably lead to his office.

“Drains the life out of you, doesn’t it?” Harry joked.

“This place looks so much gloomier in real life,” I commented as I scanned around.

“Don’t worry,” Harry laughed as he placed a hand on my shoulder. “You’ll get used to it. Anyways, we’ll be too busy with all that advanced Potions stuff to even notice the room.”

“What? Advanced Potions? This is Advanced Potions?” I bellowed.

“Yes,” Harry replied.

“But I thought that—wait, aren’t you supposed to get an ‘Outstanding’ on your O.W.L. to get into this class? I’ve never even taken the O.W.L. exam. Not to mention, I doubt I’d get an ‘Outstanding’! I’m terrible at chemistry!” I exclaimed. “And, J. K. Rowling, herself said that a Muggle wouldn’t be able to brew a potion because at some point, there would need to be some kind of magic transfer! I—I don’t—”

“Calm down, Violet,” laughed Harry. “I’m sure Dumbledore is well aware of your situation. I doubt he would put you in this class if he didn’t think you could handle it. And, obviously, Snape must have changed his entrance requirements—probably as a result of Dumbledore’s request. Plus, you’ll be my partner, so, we’ll be fine” he smiled.

“Oh, so you’re not even going to ask me if I want to be your partner?” I grinned with a raised eyebrow. “Do you really want to fail the class this much?”

Harry’s smile widened. “If we fail, at least we’ll do it together. And besides, this class wasn’t my—or Ron’s—choice. When Ron, Hermione and I went to Dumbledore’s office to look for you, he gave us our new schedule, which placed us in this class,” Harry explained.

I nodded and then leaned on one of the desks. I couldn’t help but wonder if Draco was going to be in this class. From what I noticed about the Harry Potter series, Draco seemed to always have Potions class or something with Harry.

Suddenly, I realized what I was thinking and threw the thoughts from my mind. I guess letting go of Draco Malfoy wasn’t going to be as easy as I hoped that it would be. But I quickly assured myself that the phase will pass.

“Hey,” Harry said with a small smile on his face. “Are you all right?”

“Oh—yeah!” I replied as my eyes fluttered up to meet his.
Harry suddenly froze for a moment as before he stuttered, “You—you have an eyelash on your cheek.”

“Wha—where?” I asked as I raised my hand up to my cheek and tried to wipe anything away. I laughed as I said, “I don’t see it, Harry. Did I get it, though?”

Harry laughed and reached his hand out and placed it onto my cheek. I held my breath as he gently brushed aside the eyelash just below my left eye.

“There,” Harry sighed as he slowly began to pull his hand away. But just as he did this, we heard the door open and we both turned to look.

“Well, well, well, looks like Potter and Bell are having a date in the potion room!” an unfamiliar voice sneered as two people came into the room. It was Draco. I—however—didn’t care too much for him, though. My eyes were, instead, on the girl with the shoulder-length black hair wearing the Slytherin crest on her black robe beside Draco.

“What are you two doing in here?” Draco inquired as he looked from Harry to me.

“We happen to be in this class, Malfoy,” Harry replied in a matter-of-face voice.

“The two of you seemed to be engaging in more...intimate activities when Draco and I walked in,” commented the girl beside Draco.

“Maybe you should get your eyes checked, Parkinson,” Harry snapped. “And even if we were, it would be none of your business!”

“Watch your tone!” Draco barked as he took a step closer towards Harry and me. He then moved his eyes away from Harry and placed them on me. “And you…just one day and—”

“I don’t know what you’re referring, Malfoy,” I quickly interrupted before he could say anything.

Draco clenched his jaw together as he looked away from me and to Harry. His nose flared as he looked back at me and said, “Well…who better for a Muggle to cling onto than the almighty Chosen One?”

“Draco!” I snapped with eyes filled with disbelief. I then looked behind him to Pansy Parkinson, who stared back at me with horror and disgust.

"She’s a Muggle?” Pansy questioned from behind Draco. She then scoffed and said, “Just when I thought that this school couldn’t get any worse, they bring in a Muggle.”

“How did you—” Harry began as he pulled me away from Draco.

“His father, none the less,” I quickly said—because Draco, too, seemed shocked by what he had just revealed. “Leave it to Lucius Malfoy,” I commented.

“You better watch that pretty mouth of yours,” Draco said, but not in any aggressive kind of way. His eyes remained fixed on me.

“Come on, Violet. Let’s find ourselves a different seat—one away from these idiotic people,” Harry said as he picked up his things, and I did the same thing.

“Running away with your girlfriend, are you Potter?” Pansy taunted.

I suddenly stopped and turned around and face Pansy. I slipped my hand from Harry’s snapped, “Don’t be jealous just because you can’t get yourself a man. Though, I must say it’s quite strange that a Muggle like myself can get one, while a high-and-mighty witch like you can’t.”

Pansy seemed baffled at my comment, but could not come up with anything to say back. On that note, I turned my heel and began walking to the other side of the room—away from Draco and Pansy.

“D—don’t you walk away!” Pansy managed to finally say after Harry and I were already a few feet away from her and Draco. “I—incendio!” Harry and I suddenly heard.

I screamed as flames quickly engulfed the bottom of my robe. My bag fell to the ground as I stripped my robe off. As it fell to the ground, Harry quickly stomped out the flame.

“Are you all right?” Harry asked once the flame was out. “Are you hurt anywhere?”

I shook my head. “Harry, I’m fine. I’m not hurt.”

“Malfoy!” bellowed Harry as he stormed up to Draco. He suddenly reached out and grabbed Draco by the collar and said, “If your little girlfriend there even tries to hurt Violet again, I will kill you both.”

"Oh, little Potter is threatening me?" Malfoy laughed. He then took a step closer to Harry and growled, “What are you going to do, Harry? How are you going to kill me, huh? Are you really that desperate to go to Azkaban?”

I noticed Harry’s hands turning into fists as Pansy giggled. Just as Harry’s fist quickly loosened and he began to reach into his pocket, I ran over to him and grabbed his hand.

“Harry,” I said as I squeezed his hand. I then leaned closer to him and whispered in his ear. “Don’t do this. He isn’t worth it.”

“But—”

“Forget him,” I whispered while glancing at Draco.

I then felt Harry’s hand loosen before he took his hand out of his robe pocket. I, too, relaxed and took a step away from Harry.

“Let’s go Draco,” Pansy smirked as she glared at me.

She then wrapped her arms around tightly Draco’s and pulled him to a table on the other side of the room. Harry and I then did the same.

As we passed my burnt robe on the ground, Harry carefully picked it up off the ground and handed it to me.

“We can get this fixed,” said Harry.

I simply smiled weakly.

It wasn’t too long until a small handful of students came walking into the room. Among those people were Hermione and Ron, who sat themselves at the small table behind Harry and me.

“Violet, where’s your robe?” Hermione asked as she placed her things down. “You must be freezing down here.”

“Well,” I said as I lifted my robe up for her to see.

“What happened?” Ron gasped as he and Hermione gawked at the burnt robe.

“We—we can easily get that fixed up,” Hermione nodded. “But Snape is pretty strict when it comes to the school dress code, so we should hurry before—”

But just before she could finish what she was going to say, the entrance door slammed closed, and Snape came swooping into the room. He made his way to the front of the class and peered at the few students in the small classroom. Judging from the expression on his face, he was not having a good day.

"Ms. Bell, rise!" Snape ordered when his black eyes fell upon me. I sighed heavily as I rose to my feet. Snape then walked over to me and leaned onto the desk. “Why are you not wearing your robe?” he asked sternly. “You may be new to Hogwarts, but I am sure you are aware of the dress code.”

“I’m sorry, sir, but I had a bit of an accident before class started,” I replied without looking up at Snape.

“There is no excuse—”

“Parkinson set her robe on fire,” Harry replied as he snatched my robe and placed it onto the desk for Snape to see.

“Harry!” I gasped as I turned to look at him. I then reached for my robe, but Snape had a hold of it, and lifted it to examine.

The room went silent for a moment before Snape asked, “Is this true, Ms. Bell?”

I inhaled deeply. “Y—yes.”

“Take your seat, Ms. Bell,” Snape said as he placed my burnt robe onto the table and began to walk away. As I sat back down in my seat, Snape said, “I will see you after class, Ms. Parkinson."

“What?” Pansy bellowed as the few students in the room began to whisper among each other. “This isn’t fair! Why am I being pun—”

"Quiet!" Snape ordered as he spun around and faced Pansy. “Don’t complain, Ms. Parkinson, or else I’ll be forced to give you a detention.”

“But it was that Potter and that Muggle who started the whole thing!” Pansy yelled as she pointed over to Harry and me. The entire room when silent as they turned to look at me—shocked. Pansy, all the while, continued with her complaint. “They should be the ones who should stay after class. You should be deducting points from them, too!”

“A Muggle?” a student repeated.

“Does the Headmaster know about this?” another asked.

“What’s a Muggle doing in a magical school?” a girl questioned.

I sat in my seat with my jaw and fists clenched. I didn’t know what to do in that moment. Was I supposed to deny it, to say:

“Yeah, I am I Muggle. So what?”, or just say nothing at all? I didn’t know. And without thinking, I raised my eyes up and looked up at Snape with this pleading look; begging him to just say something to make everyone stop talking.

“QUIET DOWN!” Snape bellowed as he slammed his hand down on the table making everyone jump.

The room was silent in an instant. He then strolled over to Pansy and slammed his hands onto the desk. “It does NOT matter who started what. More importantly, you started a Muggle’s robe on fire. This does nothing more but show that you do nothing but prey on the weak and on those who cannot fight back!” Snape spat. “So I expect to see you here after school for the next three days Ms. Parkinson, or do you wish to object still?”

Pansy was horrified, and Draco, who was sitting beside her, seemed to be just as shocked. But holding back her tears of anger and fright, she nodded her head.

“That’ll be fifty points from Slytherin. Now, open up your books to page one hundred and twenty-nine,” Snape said walking back to his desk.

***

The day finally came to an end, but already, I found myself in the library while a pile of homework. It was no surprise that the homework was almost all from Advanced Potions. I believed it to be Snape’s way of punishing me for causing such a fuss in class that afternoon. And because of Pansy’s outburst, news had already began to travel around the school that I was a Muggle.

“There you are!” someone exclaimed.

I quickly looked up from my book to find Harry standing at the end of the aisle I was hiding in. I let out a sigh of relief as I turned and began making my way back to the table I was doing my homework at.

“You seem stressed,” Harry said as he hurried behind me.

“Today’s been eventful,” I commented while sitting down.

“You’re referring to Parkinson’s outburst in class today? About you being a Muggle, I would assume?”

I nodded.

“Is that why you skipped out on dinner?”

I glanced at Harry with a cricked grin. “I’ve been hiding—yes. Everyone’s been coming up to me and asking me if I really am a Muggle. I just—I just wanted some time to myself…”

“Well,” Harry smiled as he leaned his chin down onto the table, “you missed Dumbledore’s speech about you.”

“Oh, my goodness,” I groaned while covering my face with my hands. “Do I want to know what he said?”

Harry laughed. “It’s all right. It wasn’t anything bad. He basically said you weren’t a…regular Muggle, and that you’re being placed at Hogwarts for your protection.”

“I see,” I replied. I then lowered my hands and looked directly at Harry as I said, “I’m really sorry about what happened this afternoon, by the way. With…Malfoy and Parkinson…”

“It’s fine. I’m just glad that you weren’t hurt,” Harry grinned. “I mean, you aren’t hurt, right?”

I laughed. “No, I’m fine. I told you that already. And,” I looked down at the black robe sitting on top of my school bag, “thanks to Hermione, so is my robe, now.”

“Speaking of which,” rang Hermione’s voice. Harry and I both turned to find her and Ron approaching the two of us. “I did not expect Snape to…not take points away from Gryffindor house," Hermione said as she sat down with Ron. She then began to unpack her things.

"Well, isn't that a good thing?" I asked while I turned away from Harry.

"It’s good, but it’s strange as well. I mean Snape hates Gryffindors!" Ron said pulling a bun out of his pocket. “Plus, he took points away from his own house AND gave one of his Slytherin students a detention! A rarity, that is.”

"Is there something you want to tell us, Violet?" Hermione asked raising an eyebrow. “Is there anything going on between you and Sn—”

"Hermione!” I bellowed.

“Well, I’m just thinking off all possible possibility!” she said. “I can’t think of any other…reasons for him to have not punished Gryffindor.”

“You honestly don’t believe those rumors, do you Hermione?” Ron asked as he glanced at Hermione with a disbelief expression.

“Wait, what rumors?” I asked as I looked at the two of them.

“That—that you and Professor Snape have a thing,” Hermione answered nervously.

I scoffed at this. “Are you serious? It’s the first day for school for heaven’s sake. This is completely ridiculous!”

“Hey, calm down,” Harry said. “They’re only rumors. It’ll pass.”
“The school is probably buzzing about this,” I groaned.

“Hey, if it makes you feel better, you’re the best buzz around here since Harry,” Hermione said trying to make me feel better. “I mean, since you read about us in your world, you should know that rumors around here are usually about You-Know-Who and his return, along with dark forces rising to join him.”

I sighed heavily and said, “I guess that makes me feel a little better… Sort of… Not…not really…”

“We—we should talk about something else, then,” Harry suggested. He clearly knew the conversation was simply upsetting me.

“Did you hear what Mad-Eye did?” Ron asked.

“Mad-Eye?” I repeated. “You mean, Mad-Eye Moody? Why is he here?” I questioned. “I thought he was supposed to be—” I suddenly stopped before I finished my sentence. “Um…I mean, what ever happened to Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher not lasting more than a year with the position?” I asked.

“Well, he didn’t technically teach the class, if you’re referring to our fourth year,” Hermione said. “And he’s only temporarily working here as the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor until Dumbledore can find a proper teacher. But, what happened, Ron?”

“Well, people say Mad-Eye saw Malfoy planning something with those two goons—Crabbe and Goyal—about getting back at Harry for getting Pansy Parkinson in trouble,” Ron continued. “Apparently, he turned Malfoy and his friends into frogs, and now they’re hopping somewhere around the school,” Ron laughed.

I grinned. “Frogs? This sounds more like a fairy tale,” I commented.

“Well, Malfoy’s no prince, that’s for sure,” Harry laughed.

“He didn’t honestly do that, did he?” Hermione wondered aloud. “I mean, Mad-Eye could be suspended from school for doing that.”

“Well, Malfoy’s dad already heard of this. Apparently, he’s already threatening the school if Mad-Eye isn’t removed,” said Ron.

Harry groaned frustratingly as he placed his head down onto the table. “This is horrible. The first day of school and we’re already losing one the best Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor there is.”

“The drama has already begun, it seems,” I whispered.

After a short moment of silence, Hermione cleared her throat before saying, “We—we should get our homework done before it gets too late. Or, before Ron distracts us again.”

“Me? Distract us? You’re the one who started talking about Professor Snape and Violet in the first place!” argued Ron.

“Yes but—“ Hermione paused to think for a second. “Yes, I did. "But at least my distraction was relevant to the subject.”

"‘Relevant’?” Ron laughed. “How was that relevant to the subject?”

“It still involved Potions class,” Hermione pointed out as she flipped through the book in front of her. Before Ron could argue, Hermione began telling me to write some things down. Ron scoffed as he and Harry began their homework as well.

After spending a few hours in the library, Hermione and I had finished all our homework, while Ron and Harry continued on their assignment from Snape. The two of us were about to head back to the Gryffindor Tower, but instead, Hermione decided to stay back and assist the boys.

Tired, I bid the three farewell before gathering my things and heading back to the Gryffindor Tower by myself. I wanted to get back to the tower as quickly as possible because I didn’t want to deal with anyone.

Thankfully, as I made my way back to the Gryffindor Tower, everything was completely quiet. But as I turned the corner, I heard a loud croak! I looked out in front of me and saw a tiny green frog at the end of the hallway hopping towards me. When it was a couple of feet away from me, it stopped and stared.

“M—Malfoy?” I whispered.

Suddenly, the frog let out an even louder croak, before hopping rapidly towards me. My books fell to the ground as I jumped back and away from the approaching frog.

“Malfoy? What are you doing? Stop!” I bellowed as I stumbled to the ground. But the frog continued to charge towards me, and suddenly I shouted, “Draco!”

"There you are Mr. Malfoy!" came Snape's voice.

He suddenly appeared between Draco and me. He pulled his wand out of his long black robe and pointed at the frog sitting before him. Suddenly, there was a poof! When I looked pass Snape, I saw Draco jumping up from the ground in his normal form. I saw him smirking down at me as he brushed the dust off his robe.

“Oh, did I scare you?” he snickered.

I scoffed. “Shut up, Malfoy,” I snapped as I got off the ground.
“Aw, do hate that much for scaring you?”

“I just hate you in general,” I replied as I took a step around Snape.

“Enough!” Snape ordered. “Now, I suggest you head off to bed, Mr. Malfoy. And that goes for you too, Scarlet.”

“It’s Violet,” I corrected. “This is the second time you’ve called me that,” I informed as Snape turned back at look at me. I guess my curiosity got the better of me, and I asked aloud, “Who’s Scarlet?”

I saw the muscles in Snape’s face tense up for a belief moment, but he didn’t say anything. He simply turned away casually and disappeared down the hallway.

“Well, that was exciting,” Draco said sarcastically.

“Almost as exciting as you being turned into a frog?” I asked. The grin on his face immediately fell, bring a small smile onto my own face. “Well,” I sighed while quickly picking up my things, “I’m heading to bed.”

Just as I stood up, I found Draco standing dangerously close to me. As I tried moving around him, he stepped in the way to block me.

“Please get out of my way,” I said as I tried to make my way around him.

“Not until you tell me how you’re doing,” said Draco. “With everything that is; how’s your leg? How are you dealing with—everything? Everybody knowing that you’re a Muggle?”

“Why would you even care?” I asked while glaring up at him. “If you didn’t open that big mouth of yours—”

“Why are you blaming me?” Draco interrupted. “If you and Potter—”

“What does Harry have to do with any of this?” I snapped. “If you’re bringing him into this, why not bring Pansy Parkinson as well then?” I said placing my hands on my hips. “She almost has a mouth as big as you! You two are so perfect for each other, you know that?”

“Pansy and I,” Draco said as he reached out and grabbed my arm, “we’re not together.”

“Really? Could have fooled me with the way she and you were acting,” I spat while slipping my arm out of his grasp. “Now, get out of my way. I’m tired and want to get to bed.”

But just as I began to move around him, he jumped in my way.

“Just get out of the way, Draco!” I bellowed in frustration. “You’re such a pest! Move it.”

“Why are you avoiding me?” Draco asked slowly taking steps closer to me.

“From what I remember, you’re the one who didn’t want to be friends,” I snapped while taking steps back to get away from Draco.

“And then you ran straight into Potter’s arms, didn’t you?”

I scoffed. “Aw, is this jealousy I sense?” Just as I said this, I ran into the wall behind me. Draco continued walking toward until we were only a couple of inches away from one another.

“It seems like you’re the one who’s jealous, Violet,” Draco smirked. “I saw the way you glared at Pansy when the two of us came in together.”

“No one would be stupid enough to be jealous over you, Draco,” I cruelly taunted. “Besides, you just said so yourself that there’s nothing going on between you and Parkinson.”

Draco simply sighed heavily, but stayed where he was while holding my angry gaze. With his eyes settled upon me still, he whispered, “You make…the most interesting facial expression. Even when you’re angry, you still look so—”

“Draco!” called an annoying voice that shattered my eardrums.

“Get away from me,” I said with a softened look, “before she sees us like this.”

“Draco!” the voice called again—only closer this time.

“NOW DRACO!” I ordered.

His eyelids fluttered a few times before he stumbled away from me. “Don’t you ever cause me trouble again, you filthy Muggle!” Draco shouted, but the sorrowful look in his eyes was saying otherwise.

"Draco? Are you all right?" Pansy asked as she appeared behind Draco—her arms clutched around his. “I heard that awful teacher turned you into a frog! I was sick with worry! I came looking for you after Snape let me out of detention. I’m so sorry I wasn’t there for you. Are you okay?”

"Yes, I’m fine,” he said while stealing a glance at me. “L—let’s go Pansy,” he said.

“You stay away from Draco, you low-life,” Pansy whispered back to me as they passed me.

"You won’t have to worry about that," I whispered.

Draco must have heard me because he turned back to look at me as he and Pansy walked down the hallway. I couldn’t help but return his stare for a brief moment before pushing myself off the wall and make my way to the Gryffindor Tower.