Status: Currently being re-edited. Chapters 1-10 have been re-edited.

A Muggle at Hogwarts

Ch. 9: How Much Will you Sacrifice?

“Violet,” whispered a voice close to my ear.

My eyes snapped opened and I quickly sat up in bed. Before me was nothing but complete darkness. I turned over to Hermione’s bed to see that she was still asleep. Ginny was fast asleep as well. I guess she must had fallen asleep in here.

Sighing heavily, I glanced down at my alarm clock to see that it was nearly three in the morning. I groaned as I fell back onto my pillow. But just as I closed my eyes, I heard a soft creaking sound coming from the door. My eyes immediately snapped open as I turned to look at the door, which was now slightly opened.

"Hermione, Ginny!” I whispered. Of course, this had no effect because they were sound asleep.

When I heard the Gryffindor door opening, I jumped out of bed and headed out of our room. I hurried down the stairs and into the Gryffindor common room and scanned around. The room was empty but for the shadows dancing gracefully on the walls.

Once I checked to make sure no one was in the Gryffindor common room, I headed out of the tower. I stepped out into the darkness of the hallway before turning around to close the door without making a sound. When I turned around, I had to shield my eyes from the bright light that was being shined in my face.

“Crap,” I whispered.

I slowly removed my hand and looked in front of me. I expected to find a teacher, but I didn’t. Instead, before me was the school courtyard. There were students scattered about talking to one another. Suddenly, they all looked towards me and started laughing and pointing their fingers at me. Then, someone began to chant. They all began to chant. “Snivellus” they shouted in unison.

“Snivellus?” I repeated.

The name suddenly clicked in my head and I spun around. Behind me was a boy hurrying down the hallway with his head down. He clutched a book tightly in his arms and tried to ignore the laughing people. I wasn’t able to see his face because his black hair was blocking his face, but I didn’t need to. It was Snape.

“Snivellus! Snivellus!” someone laughed from behind me.

“Grow up, boys,” a female voice said from behind me as someone raced passed me. As she ran towards Snape, her chocolate brown hair flowed behind. Although I wasn’t certain, I had a feeling that the girl was Scarlet—the person Snape kept calling me. I quickly followed her over to Snape where she had stopped a few feet away. Apparently, she had begun talking to him.

“I’m—”

Snape cut the girl off and said something, but I couldn’t hear what he was saying. I saw his mouth moving, but all I heard was a loud beeping sound coming from all over the place. It began to get louder so I brought my hand up to my ears to block out the sound. I closed my eyes tightly as the sound got louder and everything began to spin. I groaned as I fell onto my knees and into darkness.

“VIOLET!” Hermione screamed.

My eyes snapped opened and I stared up at the plain stone ceiling above me panting. There was still a ringing in my ears. I turned to where the sound was coming from to find my alarm clock. I groaned as I slapped my hand over the alarm clock and stopped the sound.

“Is she up?” Ginny asked as she came out of the bathroom in her Quidditch uniform.

“Yeah,” Hermione replied.

“You must have been exhausted, Violet. Hermione’s been trying to wake you up for at least five minutes. We were beginning to get worries,” Ginny grinned.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized while sitting up in bed.

“Were you having a bad dream?” Hermione questioned as she took a seat beside me.

“It wasn’t really a bad dream. I was in Hogwarts—the time in which Snape was attending as a student. He was walking down the hallway by the courtyard and people were chanting Snivellus and laughing at him. Then there was this girl who ran to him and they began to talk. I didn’t hear what they were saying, though.”

“Was the girl that Scarlet person you were talking about yesterday?” Ginny asked.

“Could be,” I said trailing off. “But then again, who knows how true and accurate that dream was. It’s probably nothing.”

“Agreed,” Hermione said as she stood up. She then turned to look at me and informed, “By the way, you need to go meet up with Harry at the hospital.”

“Okay—wait a minute!” I shouted. “I have to go? Where are you two going—and what about Ron?”

“I have to get that fairytale book and start my report,” Hermione replied. She sigh heavily and added, “Though I’m beginning to think that it isn’t in the library.”

“And I have to go talk to Slytherin captain about re-scheduling the Quidditch match. Ron is going over the new tactic with the rest of the team right now. After breakfast, we’re going to be busy practicing,” Ginny responded.

“You’re the only one who’s available,” Hermione pointed out.

“Now hurry up and get ready,” Ginny encouraged with a weak smile.

“Yeah, Ginny and I have to get going,” Hermione smiled before she and Ginny headed out of the room.

Once Hermione and Ginny had left the room, I got out of bed and headed to the bathroom to do my morning routine. I quickly dressed and hurried out of the Gryffindor Tower.

As I walked down the hallway towards the Hospital Wing, I couldn’t help but wonder about the dream I had. What if it was real? Yet again, that dream was very similar to the scene from Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix when Harry witnessed Snape’s past. That meant that I was probably overwhelmed by Snape’s sudden anger, wondering about who Scarlet might be and what her connection with Snape was, and since I’m in the wizardry world everything simply mixed together and I just happen to have a dream that involved Snape’s past and this Scarlet girl.

“Makes sense,” I thought to myself.

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted when a familiar voice echoed down the hallway.

“Going to see your lover, are you?” the person questioned.

I turned around, and a look of annoyance crawled onto my face. The one person who I despised more than anyone else stood before me with a cocky ‘I’m-so-much-better-than-you’ look on her face.

“You two are such a lovely couple—you and Potter. You’re perfect for one another too, a pathetic Muggle with an idiotic wizard who’s madly in love with Muggles.”

“Why, thank you,” I said with a fake smiled. “I think Harry and I am a perfect couple as well—unlike some couples, of course. You know, snobby rich boys with sad, low-self esteem girls?”

“Muggles are such rude little pests,” Pansy commented. “Your being here taints our magical world.”

“I would say: all witches are bitches, but I think that only applies to you,” I snapped back with the same smirk that Pansy had on her face.

“You—you stupid little Muggle!” Pansy bellowed—her face was red with anger.

“For a stupid Muggle, I sure do better in school than you. Sad part is that you’re supposed to be the know-it-all since this is your world. So, would that you a complete idiot then?” I questioned innocently.

“You know very well that is not what I meant! You’re just trying to making a fool out of me or something?” she screamed.

“Then maybe you should be clearer next time. Secondly, I’m hardly trying. The only person making a fool out of you is yourself,” I laughed.

“You!” she shouted before pulling her wand out of her pocket.

“Oh, are you going to cast some spell on me—a Muggle?” I said sarcastically. “That truly shows what a strong and powerful witch you are!”

“You’re so annoying!” Pansy yelled at the top of her lungs.

“I can care less of what your opinion of me is, because I can care less for you,” I snapped. “Now if you would excuse me, I have to go meet up with Harry. It was great fun chatting with you, Pansy.”

I quickly took off before she could snap back any remarks. Although judging from that last look on her face, I doubt she would have been able to say anything anyways.

“Ms. Bell?” Madam Pomfrey asked from her desk when I walked into the Hospital Wing. “What brings you here? Has your head been hurting?” she asked in reference to when I hit my head during the Quidditch match.

“I’m fine, thank you. I actually came to see Harry. He’s being released today, I hear,” I informed.

“Mr. Potter left just a moment ago with Mr. Weasley,” Madam Pomfrey exclaimed.

“Oh!” I said. “Then, I think I should go—”

“Could—could you wait a moment?” Madam Pomfrey asked before I walked away. She opened up a drawer in her desk and pulled out a small blue glass bottle and silver spoon.

“Is that for Harry?” I asked.

“No, it’s for Mr. Malfoy in there,” Madam Pomfrey informed as she gestured towards the patient room.

“Malfoy is still here?”

“Yes. He’s out tomorrow morning as a request from his mother,” Madam Pomfrey groaned as she sunk into her chair.

“You look stressed,” I pointed out. “Have a lot of patients today or something?”

“Only Mr. Malfoy,” she sighed. She then reached out and pushed the little blue bottle towards me and asked, “Would you please give this to him?”

“But—I—Malfoy and I don’t—” I stopped and bit my bottom lip. The tired look on Madam Pomfrey’s face made my heart sink. I couldn’t possibly leave her with Malfoy when she seemed to be having such a awful time with him as it was. I sighed heavily and took the bottle and spoon off of Madam Pomfrey’s desk.

I took a deep breath and walked into the patients’ room. It was completely empty, but for one bed. In the bed to the far end of the room was Draco. He was sitting up in bed and staring out of the window. I quickly walked over to Draco’s bedside, but he didn’t seem to notice that I was there.

I cleared my throat and said, “Draco.”

He snapped his head towards me and stared at me eyes widened. After Draco regained himself, he asked, “What are you doing here?”

“I actually came to see Harry, but he left earlier with Ron. Madam Pomfrey asked me to give you this,” I said as I placed the blue bottle on the table beside the bed along with the spoon.

“I can’t take that,” Draco said as he looked at the bottle on the counter.

“Draco, there’s no need to be childish about this,” I commented.

“I mean I can’t open that, hold the bottle, and pour the medication onto the spoon,” Draco informed.

“Simply drink it out of the bottle then,” I snapped.

“Seriously Violet, are you going to put this attitude up now? I’m injured here,” Draco snapped with a slight smirk on his face. “Besides, you need to pull the cork off.”

“You—!” I began but held back my anger. I snatched the bottle off the table and popped the cork out of the bottle. I shoved the bottle into Draco’s hand, but he clutched onto mine.

“Aren’t you even going to ask me how I’m doing?” Draco questioned.

“There’s no need for that,” I replied as I lowered my gaze and looked at our hands. “You said so yourself that you were fine the other day when you got injured. I assume you to be the fine now, too. So, hurry up and drink your medication.”

“Then pour it for me,” Draco responded.

“Are you really going to have me treat you like a baby and feed you the medication?” I snapped.

Draco didn’t say anything to me. Instead, he removed his hand from my own. He kept his gaze upon me as he reached his hand up and placed it onto my face. I should have pulled away, but I found myself frozen where I stood.

“There’s never any spark in your eyes when you’re with Potter,” Draco whispered as he caressed my cheek.

I clutched my jaw tightly and brought my free hand up and clutched Draco’s. Tears began forming in my eyes as I looked at him.

“Why do you keep doing this to me?” I questioned while holding onto his hand tightly.

“Doing what?”

“Everything! One moment you’re kind and you become that charming person I first met. Then in a blink of the eye you become the selfish snob that people think you are!” I explained. A tear slipped from my eyes as I begged Draco. “Stop pretending to be my friend if that isn’t what you truly want.”

“But I—!“ Draco suddenly stopped and I saw his jaw clench up as he pulled his hand away. He sighed heavily and said, “I do want us to be friend—I really do.”

“But are you willing to make the sacrifices necessary for us to be friend?” I questioned. “You know as well as I do that we can’t be friends without making sacrifices, and they won’t be small ones either. Your reputation as a Malfoy would be tarnished. Will you be able to do that? Your family will hate you. Can you live with that? You have to think about these things. If I somehow found a way to return home, you will still have to live in this world and live with the consequences of our friendship.”

“But you wouldn’t really leave, would you?” Draco questioned in return. “If you were able to find a way home—you would stay here, wouldn’t you? For me? Would you stay? Are you willing to make those same scarifies?” Draco questioned.

“It all depends on you. I would—“

I suddenly stopped and stared at Draco. In my mind, I was screaming and ordering myself to say that I would make scarifies for him. Heck, I would give anything to simply go back and relive those short hours Draco and I spent together. But I wasn’t able to find my voice. More tears fell from my eyes as I shook my head and pulled away from Draco.

“Violet!” Draco exclaimed as I placed the medicine down on the table.

“I can’t!” I cried as I took a step away from his bed. “I would have agreed to this, but I can’t keep doing this, Draco. I can’t keep letting you into my life only to have you slip away again and again. I don't want to get hurt time and time again.”

“But you know as well as I do that what we have is special. I admit that I was stupid for acting the way I did. But you—you were always true. Always willing to try—even after I was a complete bastard to you. Now, when I’m ready to take the plunge, you’re not really going to throw our…” he paused, “…our…friendship…away, are you?” Draco asked sternly.

“Our friendship died a long time ago, Draco,” I stated. “We simply refused to accept that, and that’s why we always find ourselves in this situation. But you know as well as I do that this has to stop.”

“Violet,” Draco said as he sat straight up in bed. He looked directly into my eyes and said, “I can’t stand the thought of losing you, Violet. I’m drawn to you, and I can’t lose you—especially to someone like Potter!”

I don’t know why, but when he said this I was filled with so much rage. I became furious. Before I realized it, I was screaming at Draco with tears pouring out of my eyes uncontrollably.

“So is this what it all is about—Harry and me? What am I to you, Draco—a trophy in which you and wave in Harry’s face?”

“That’s not—“

“Don’t give me any of your excuses! I’ve heard enough,” I ordered. “This is exactly why I say that we can’t be friends. Good bye.”

Draco’s hand suddenly shot out and tried to grab me, but I was too far out of his reach. As I turned my heels and raced towards the door, Draco screamed out my name and told me to come back. But I ignored him and ran out of the room.