Just a Taste of Your Blood, That's All I Want

Second Heartbeat

Image

Alexander Montague.

I swear if I wasn't sitting down I probably would have fainted by now.

“Y-you?!” I asked incredulously. My response came out in a whisper though, my throat was hurting so badly and I was still choked up from the tears.

His face showed concern. “Oh man, you're crying so much. I am so so sorry, but I promise I won't hurt you Emma.”

I regained some of my composure and stood up. “Why are you helping me?” My voice was almost frantic. I hope he doesn't ask questions...

“Calm down, Emma. You were choked pretty badly. You need to rest.” He tried grabbing my hand but I jumped away from him.

“No,” I whispered. “No, no, no! You're my enemy, so why are you being so nice to me? More importantly, why the fuck did you kiss me?! None of this makes any goddamn sense whatsoever!” I wish I hadn't been choked minutes ago, or I would have been screaming my head off at him. Funny, the only reason I came here was to talk to him, but now that I am, the only thing I want to do is argue. Why is it that this man makes me so nervous, excited, and confused all the time?

“I...I...I don't know,” he finally managed to stumble out.

“Of course you don't,” I glared at him. I was fuming. “Well, why are you writing me secret notes, sneaking into my room, or even leaving me flowers? And how the fuck do you keep getting in?”

I saw his eyes widen slightly before his face turned into a blank mask. “What are you talking about?” he asked, coolly. I would have doubted myself if I had not seen the fear in his eyes. His voice was perfect, too perfect.

My reply was cold, very cold. “You know exactly what I'm talking about, Montague.”

He sighed, knowing that I wouldn't take no for an answer. “Would it help any if I said you wouldn't understand?”

“Fuck that!” My voice came out hoarse and it took me a few coughs before I could speak again. “I want answers, and I want them now.”

He looked away from me. “Well? What do you want to know?”

I gawked at him. He was just going to give up? Just like that? Well, I guess he isn't as tough as he seems. He laughed at my expression, and I glared at him again.

“I would like to know everything that I just asked!” I exclaimed.

“Well, I sort of forgot. So how about we do a twenty one questions thing or something?” he suggested.

“Fine, whatever floats your boat. Why did you kiss me?” I decided to get the most important one out first.

He sighed. “I thought I already told you?”

“'I don't know' isn't good enough,” I murmured. My throat was very scratchy after all the talking. It hurt so much even to whisper.

“Well, what do you want me to say? I wanted to kiss you, so I did. Simple as that,” he shrugged his shoulders.

“No, it isn't as simple as that. For years all you've done is insult me, and then out of nowhere, you kiss me. There's nothing simple about that.” I tried speaking as softly as possible.

“Oh! I'm such an idiot, I completely forgot. Is your throat okay?” I growled as he changed the subject, but he continued. “Do you want me to get you some water? I have some in my car. I am really sorry about what Marc did to you. But you do know you shouldn't be here, right? I mean, this is our side of the town.” He actually seemed concerned, and water did sound lovely right now.

“Okay,” I agreed softly.

“Alright, I'll be right back, I promise. Just stay here, okay? And I really am sorry.” He started jogging back to his car which was parked conveniently across the street from the park. Damn, his house was right there and I wouldn't have even known.

When he came back, he had a water bottle and a heavy pullover sweatshirt. “Here,” he said, handing both of them to me as he sat next tome.

I eyed both of them strangely. He sighed. “I didn't poison the water, okay? And I brought you the jacket because you looked like you were shivering and it's really cold out. Just trust me, okay?”

I slowly nodded and grabbed them both. I pulled the sweatshirt on on top of my own sweater. It really was cold outside and I was still feeling self conscious from earlier, so I was grateful for it. I could tell it was his because it smelled just like his nice aftershave. I then grabbed the water bottle and breathed a sigh of relief when I realized it wasn't open. I easily opened it and took a big gulp. It stung my throat at first, but after a few sips it felt much better.

“Thank you,” I whispered. My throat was feeling better, but it still was a pain to talk.

“You're welcome,” he smiled.

“Why are you being so nice to me?” I think I've asked this question a million times now.

“Because I want to. I don't want to be mean to you anymore, I can't be mean to you anymore. I just, just don't care about the feud anymore. I feel so terrible for doing this all to you. But I just can't pretend anymore.” He leaned in towards my face, and I could feel his breath on my cheek.

“Pretend what, Alex?” I was too wrapped up in the conversation to realize I used his nickname.

“I can't pretend to not like you anymore,” he whispered.

I swallowed hard as he pressed his lips to my neck. “You are so beautiful,” he murmured.

I quickly shoved him away. “What are you doing?” I was frantic, but it just felt all too familiar.

He looked at me oddly. “Emma, I told you I wouldn't hurt you. I wasn't lying.” He tried to grab my hand, but I wouldn't let him. I began to shake, so he pulled me into him.

“Shush, Emma, it's okay,” he whispered against the top of my head.

I pulled back and stared at him. He leaned back as well and took lots of deep, deep breaths. It seemed like he was trying to keep himself in control. He looked at me with those piercing blues eyes before he opened his mouth to speak. But he never did, because at that moment, I heard a small growl coming from the bushes behind us. I gave Alexander a questioning look as I saw his eyes go wide. He grabbed my hand and started pulling me to his car, but it was too late. Alex seemed to know that the thing that had growled was behind us, so he picked me up bridal style and ran faster than any human possibly could. I was in shock. What the fuck is he doing?

“Please trust me when I say that I won't hurt you, but please, for the love of God, don't look behind you, Emma,” he growled into my ear, but it was too late. The moment he had started talking I had turn my head to see what was following us. My eyes widened in fear. It wasn't an animal that had growled in the bushes, it was a man! This man was disgusting. He had long, stringy blond hair that looked like it hadn't been washed in a long time. He had these evil black eyes, super pale skin, and a very determined look on his face. The most disturbing thing about him was the fact that he had blood all around his mouth and on his lips. I started breathing heavy, about to have an anxiety attack. Tonight was just way to much for my mind to handle.

“Fuck!” I heard Alexander yell as he was running with me. “Emma, don't you fucking freak out on me here, don't have an anxiety attack, okay? Everything will be fine, I'll protect you, I promise.” I tried to breathe normally, but as the monster behind us ran faster and faster towards us, I lost control. I was having a full blown attack. Alexander, who had not seen the extent of my anxiety, slipped up a little bit, and went a little bit slower. That little bit was just enough for the thing behind us to catch up to us.

I screamed as the disturbing “man” grabbed my arm and pulled me out of Alexander's grasp. I fell to the concrete with a thud, only ten feet away from the safety of his car. I saw the monster throw Alexander back towards the park, so I started crawling towards him. I was stopped suddenly when the thing reached down and grabbed my left hand. I tried to release myself, but found that he was way entirely too strong.

“What do you want from me?!” I cried. “Please, not again. Please, let me go...”

Tears were pouring from my eyes as he pulled my hand up to his face. The man sniffed my hand and then oddly moved towards my wrist. He licked the skin there.

“What the fuck are you doing? What do you want?!” I was hysterical now.

He grinned. “Your blood,” he whispered, and I felt his vile hot breath on my wrist before an intense pain.

I looked down and realized he had bit my wrist, and was drinking my blood?! I started thrashing around, but nothing stopped him. I felt my eyelids go weak and start to drop. I could hear my heartbeat pounding softer and softer...

I could faintly hear a very familiar man yell out “Fuck! No, not yet! Emma!”

But then everything went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments please?
thank you to xxVAMPYRESxx, lunalovely, LalalaLaurenland, and decendingdrakness for commenting on the last chapter.
it means the world.
-mae;