Sequel: Roaring Thunder
Status: Completed; Comments are appreciated, please?; Triquel?

Lightning Streaks the Sky

Chapter Three: Football Practice

“Melody? Can I talk to you?”, Kevin’s voice says from the opposite side of the door. Josh was gone like a lightning bolt, making me smirk.

“It’s open,” I say, absentmindedly flipping through channels, settling for Tom and Jerry, as Lily comes sitting in my lap, and Kevin opens the door.

“Umm, thanks,” Kevin says sheepishly, smiling at me.

“For what?”, I ask confusedly, laughing as a piano hits Tom.

“For … umm … putting us all back in high school.”, Kevin says uncomfortably.

“Wait, you said it was idiotic.”

“Yeah … but most of us never finished high school. And some of us aren’t very ‘modern.’”, Kevin says, sitting on the opposite side of the couch. “Today, I learned how to frickin’ read!”

“You didn’t know how to read?”

“I died before reading was a requirement, Melody.”, Kevin says, rolling his eyes.

“I could’ve taught you how to read,” I say, rolling my eyes.

“Yeah, but I would’ve thought it was stupid if I hadn’t known that I was going to school. But … umm …”

“Yes?”, I ask, staring at Kevin curiously.

“Could you teach me how to play football?”

I gape at him, and eventually going into a fit of giggles. “You … wanna … play … football!!!!”

“Please stop. I heard some of those guys talking about it, and it sounds like fun.”

“Okay! Okay! But we’re gonna need Dylan. And is there anyone else who wants to play?”, I ask, staring at him oddly before shaking my head.

“I think Kurt, Grant, and Forrest wanted to play. Maybe Connor, Eric, Doug, and Tyrone?”, Kevin says, shrugging.

“’Round ‘em up, Kev. We’re gonna play some football.”, I say, smirking as I stand up. I walk out the door, knocking on Dylan’s door. “I’m teaching football.”

Dylan nods, grabbing everything we’d need, as we stand in the center of the cloud. “All football players!!! Front and center!!!”, I yell, as some of the boys come running.

“Ooh, hot boys working out!!”, Sissy says, smirking at all the boys. I roll my eyes. Sissy was your stereotypical girly-girl. She was a blonde, who dyed her hair pale blue, to match her eyes, and it was always curly. She was new.

“Okay, here’s what’s going down. You’re going to run into Dylan. And if he can’t knock you down, then we continue.”, I say, staring each of them down.

“Umm, aren’t we supposed to be running into some kind of wall thing?”, Kurt asks, raising an eyebrow.

“Yes. But Dylan is a much more realistic and stronger person to run into.”, I say, smirking. “Ready, Dyl?”

“Why don’t we show them what we mean?”

“Okay,” I say, shrugging. I crouch down, waiting for Dylan to yell go, and running straight into him, immediately tackling him to the ground. “I win.”

“Okay … never try tackling you.”, Connor says, staring at me oddly.

“Smart. You’re up first.”, I say, smirking. Connor rolls his eyes, running straight for Dylan, but I tackled him from the side.

“Hey, no fair!”

“Oh, yes it was,” I say, standing up. “In football, you have to be ready for anything.”

“That was a dirty trick though, Mel,” Dylan says, frowning.

“That’s why this is called practice,” I say, smirking as I help Connor up. “Sorry ‘bout that, though, Connor.”

“Nah, it’s alright,” Connor says, shrugging.

“Who’s up next?”, I ask, smirking. Kurt steps forward, his reddish-brown hair matching his eyes, as he pushes his chest out, trying to be tough. “Aim for the goal, new-bee.”, I say, ruffling his hair. He was only thirteen, but oh well. He’s like a little brother to me.

Kurt goes running for Dylan, glancing at me very few seconds. I roll my eyes, eventually running around him, faking him out, until I finally burst out laughing as Dylan tackles him to the ground.

“Sorry little dude,” Dylan says, smirking as he helps him out.

“Oh! You were so freaked out when I started running!!”, I say, rolling around on the fluffy cloud.

“That’s because you’re so fast!”

“I played track. Of course I’m fast!”, I say, continuing to rol around laughing. “Dude!! You don’t play anything until you play with me. You saw me with Fred, Miranda, and Connor. Imagine me if Dylan and I were enemies.”

“That’s a scary thought, Melody. Now he’s gonna have nighmares.”, Dylan says teasingly.

“Yeah, ‘cause I’d so beat you!”, I cheer, smirking.

“Wanna bet?”

“I dunno. Football try-outs should be coming up. But I was planning on trying out for that basketball team. Or maybe track.”, I say, thinking. “Football. Great preparation for soccer.”

“Alright. But first we gotta train the new-bees.”, Dylan says, smirking.

“Right. Next!!”

Kevin stepped forward, crouching down. “Don’t hold back. And don’t wait up.”, Kevin says, smirking. I smirk, nodding as I crouch down also.

“Go!”

And Kevin was off. I chased after him, and we ran around for a bit. I jump as he tried tackling me, smirking at him.

“Uh-uh,” I say, smirking at him, before running around the cloud. He dodges as I try tackling him, but I quickly crouched down and went chasing. Dylan and them were standing there, watching with interest as we went at it. Everyone else who hadn’t had any interest before, were sure enjoying themselves now.

“Miss me,” I say, smirking as he misses again.

“Not for long!”, and he was chasing me again. I duck as he jumps, and running as he recovers. “Gotcha,” Kevin says as he tackles me.

“Very good. NOW GET OFF!”, I yell, standing up. I help him back up, smirking. “Good. Looks like someone knew the point if everything.

“It was kind of obvious.”

“Whatever,” I say, looking around. “Dylan!!”

“What? That was an awesome football game!”, Dylan says, replaying it on his video camera. I roll my eyes, grabbing the camera.

“Bet you couldn’t tackle me in less than thirty minutes.”, I say, smirking.

“Oh, you’re on!!”

And he chases me. I smirk, dodging as he jumps.

“Can’t touch this!”, I sing, smirking as I run. “Na na na na! Na na! Na na! Can’t touch this!”

“Get back here!”

“Can’t touch this!”

“Yeah, yeah! Got— drat!!”

“Can’t touch this!”, I cheer, smirking as I run around, with all the speed I had in me, dodging as Dylan continued trying to get me.