Thus the Siren of Blood Was Born

Chapter Ten

Kandyl searched and searched for her sire after en-souling herself, from 1950 onward. She found many leads, many leads indeed but it seemed none of them led her to Angelus. That was, until she stepped foot in Sunnydale, California, in 1997. This place was radiating with supernatural vibes.. Just walking by a cemetery, that night, Kandyl could feel many, many vampires moving about.

Was this place just simply a breeding ground for the occult? What could it be? She'd read about Hellmouth's in her witchcraft books dozens of times and of course that thought had come to mind as she walked down the lonely streets of Sunnydale.. but the last thing she ever thought was that a Slayer resided here. That this place really was a convergence of mystical forces.

It was a beautiful town, Kandyl had to admit.. Even at night. She intended to stick around until daylight, something Kandyl had been enjoying for years thanks to her witchcraft abilities. She'd read about the ring of Amara once before in a book of Angelus' and fashioned herself a ring just like it. Sure, it wasn't as good as the ring of Amara, she couldn't be out in the daylight twenty four seven. No, Kandyl could only tolerate maybe three hours of sun each day.

But for a vampire of 109 years now...it was a treat, most definitely. As she rounded another street corner, she saw another cemetery...but she heard something, heard something coming from within the cemetery. As she perched herself a top of an old mausoleum, she watched...and what she saw, practically murdered what sanity the vampire had left.

"Quick! Stake!" A girl, looking around the age Kandyl was when she died yelled to a rather strong male; he himself had one as well.. they were tag-teaming a pair of vampires, Kandyl could see that much..their faces were distorted like a typical vamp. The girl was good, out maneuvering in only a way the Slayer could.

Watching the vampire turn to dust...the other, the one with the male was still putting up a fight.. but not for long. The male easily took the upper hand and staked him. Just about the time Kandyl was going to jump down and plead her plight with the Slayer and male, that she would like to stay here but was a good vampire... she saw the distorted face of Angelus. Angelus was right there! WITH A SLAYER!

It was all Kandyl could do not to scream for him, run, get away from the Slayer of all people! But what happened next shocked Kandyl even more... and nearly made her stomach turn inside out. Face distorted and everything, she watched as an already blossomed romance, blossomed even more.

"Had me going there for a moment, Buffy." Angelus said softly as he walked towards the Slayer; Kandyl could see love in the girls eyes... she was truly smitten with him. She wrapped her arms up around Angelus' neck and blushed, "and what about you? Stretching out the fight a little more to impress me?" She'd quirked a brow his way and he laughed, his face going back to normal. Kandyl had to admit, Angelus had cleaned up quite nicely.

"Angel," the girl, Buffy, whispered and their lips connected in a fiery blaze. A blaze that Kandyl wished was upon her lips... but it wasn't. Apparently, Angelus was no longer Angelus, he was Angel...and truly, Angel had a soul. Now that Kandyl was in tune with him again, and the other vampires dusted...she could feel the soul radiating out of him..and she could also feel the love for the Slayer that the vampire man she had loved for so long, obviously felt.

"You know there'll be times," Angel started, pulling away from Buffy's lips, "vampires we come across that I have pasts with...and that I won't stake. Not on my life." He said kind of firmly, Kandyl could have swore..maybe he was bringing it up, because she thought he knew she was there.

"I'll make the decision, if they deserve to live or not. You're the only vampire with a soul Angel, it's a concept that's honestly unheard of, un-thought of and impossible to most, unless they know your story." Buffy said and Kandyl couldn't help but to laugh within her head. Did the Slayer really know Angelus' story like she did? After all, she'd been murdered by him, turned into what she was by him. She had an unbreakable bond with Angelus, or, Angel as he went by now.

Another thing Kandyl wanted to scream at the little Slayer know it all, he wasn't the only vampire with a soul. And watching their romance unfold below...and how it looked as if Angel was going to take the Slayer right there in the cemetery (though most obviously he didn't, or he'd be Angelus again, unbeknownst to Kandyl...) now that Kandyl had a soul, it pained her worse than ever.

It made her realize just how in love all these years she'd been with Angelus, even if Angelus had no feelings of love towards anything or anyone besides himself. Obviously now, with a soul, Angel had learned to love. Kandyl just wished... he was in love with her...

Deciding it would be best to not break up a happy home, so to speak, Kandyl continued on in her journeys. Little did she know, if she'd have stuck around maybe six months more, Angelus would have returned. But by then, Kandyl was long...long gone. She had gone across the ocean, to Hawaii, to enjoy the sights of a place new to her. This time she wouldn't plague them due to her heartbreak..having her soul, kept her from being that monster she became so many years ago.

Though Kandyl questioned, "was keeping the soul worth it?" Now that he loved this Buffy girl... was not being a monster worth it? Of course it was... It was for now, anyway... Maybe they'd cross paths again...maybe....
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count: 992