The Darling of Dachau

Prologue

I have been thinking.

And I have been thinking for quite some time. The one thing this isolation- this loneliness has done- it has left me all but alone. I am left alone, yes. But I am left alone to my thoughts.

My thoughts are cynical and sarcastic and reveal the me the world now sees me as. I did not used to be like this, no. Grand-mère would shoot me if she knew.

My thoughts see the reality that has just recently overcome this world. The hard and cold reality.

My thoughts hold onto me and I hold onto them. Who would I be without because they would be nothing without me.

My thoughts expose, estimate, count, see, feel, touch, live and breathe. Just as I do now. Just as I am doing as my mind is submerged in thought once more…

A thought:

They say that the hard times reveal the best and the worst in people. Hard times force our leaders to step forth. They also put a spotlight to the weak links. The weak links break and disperse and die. The leaders press on.

A conclusion:

Hard times are the reason for war and poverty and all the evil in this universe. But they are the reason for all the miracles as well. The love and the hope that will always remain as long as one person stays true to her heart.

Another thought:

The people we think we know oh so well all hold something inside- a secret so close to their hearts that if one disloyal person knew, they would fail and their world would be over.

Another conclusion:

In hard times we are naturally reluctant to rely on anyone but ourselves, but that dependence on other souls we strive so hard to block out- that knowing that there is a bond of friendship between two people- that will drive us to the ends of the earth. That is what will heal a nation and a world full of regret, unjust, anger and hurt.

A conclusion that stands on its own:

It starts with one brave person making one brave step and keeping one secret safe from the rest of the universe. It is through that one brave step that more will be trusted and leaders will be created and thousands of lives can and will be saved.

An exception:

This will only work if the hard times become better times and there are no weak links. We all need to be strong in the hardships we face. One person could ruin the plans and lives of everyone and I, being the one to take the first step, see it as my duty to make sure no one will ever discover us. It would ruin everything.

A last thought for good measure, reader. I have many more to share.

However much faith I have in the people I have entrusted, I feel fear because these are the people I love and respect and depend on. And that bond we all share and the knowing that come time, someone will break it- that is what scares me the most.

But that is yet to come, for I am still here, sipping tea alone- all but alone to my thoughts.