The Day That You Fall I'll Be Right Behind You

You're A Grant Now

Thanks to Todd’s big mouth, I haven’t talked to Kirstie since he yelled at her. It makes me sad. What saddens me even more is that I think they’re leaving today. I told Todd. Of course he doesn’t want anything to do with it. Butthead.

So, here I am, in my truck by myself, going to talk to my best friend before she leaves to smooth things over. I hope this goes well. I just wish Todd and my babies were here to say their goodbyes too.

When I pulled up, the house just looked so empty from the outside. The garage was opened, revealing nothing in there. I let out a sigh before I slid out and made my way up to the front door slowly. I knocked softly. Seconds later, the little pitter-patter of small footsteps could be heard.

“Aunt Ky!” Blake shouted excitedly.

I smiled at my little ‘nephew’ and bent down to pull him into a hug. He wrapped his little arms around my neck as I lifted him off of his feet. As I took a step inside, I left a soft kiss on his cheek.

“Where’s mommy?” I asked while looking around to find no one.

“In the kitchen with daddy and Logan,” he replied happily.

I sucked in another breath and wondered in that direction. When I saw the couple with Logan in Josh’s arms, their eyes were on me. Another sigh came out of me as I gently put Blake down. This may be harder than I thought.

“I never thought I would see another empty house,” I pushed out, looking around all the empty spaces.

“Yeah…” Kirstie replied, sighing herself.

I stood in there doorway, not even sure where to start as a silence fell over us. Where do I even start?

“Kirstie… I’m sorry for what Todd said. He was having a bad day and was just whiney to begin with. I do care about you. You’re my best friend. I wanted to cry just as much as you did when you told me… But then Todd started running his big yap,” I finished with a small smile towards the end, thinking of Todd’s big mouth that always seems to get him into trouble.

“Nice to know he came with you to apologize. Cause you’re so the one that should be,” she replied.

“I tried too, but… we both know that Todd Potter always thinks he’s right,” I shrugged while crossing my arms across my chest.

“You married that, Ky,” she teased.

I looked up at her and something happened… we just couldn’t hold it in. We started laughing and I don’t honestly know why. This used to happen to us all the time when we were younger: random laughter. It was so amazing.

“Mommy, what’s so funny?” Blake asked, looking at both of us confused.

“I don’t know, hunny,” Kirstie smiled down at her oldest son.

She looked back over at me with a smile that is always present on her face. It made mine come over me as I opened my arms for her. She literally ran over to me and pulled me into a tight hug.

“I’m sorry my husband has a huge mouth that he can’t control,” I told her, feeling my eyes glaze over.

“I’m sorry you have to live with him,” she teased once we parted.

“I’m serious, Kirstie. What he said was so mean. I yelled at him when you left that day… a lot,” I said, but my smile came over me.

“He deserves it,” she shot back.

Josh chuckled in the background that time. Todd may be sexy, but he has his butthead moments too. I guess no one can be perfect… even if you’re Todd Potter.

“So… you guys are really leaving today,” I stated while slowly dropping my gaze to the floor.

“Yeah… we were just looking over everything to make sure we had it all,” Josh spoke up once Kirstie stepped back next to him.

“My Grants are leaving me,” I pouted, trying so hard to keep my tears in.

“We’re not that far…” Kirstie said, trying to be the optimistic one now.

“Kirstie, I know geography wasn’t your strong point, but… you know you’re gonig to the other side of the country. That’s pretty darn far,” I told her, but my smile came through, making hers appear too.

“You can come visit us, Ky… and Todd… and Tyson… and Lily and Addy,” Josh said, rattling off my little Potter family.

“Yeah… no Todd,” Kirstie corrected.

“I’ll keep him away. If I bring him, I’ll make sure he has a muzzle,” I teased, making her laugh.

We stood there, letting an awkward silence come over us. I knew it was getting close. I didn’t want to accept that I may be losing my best friend. Long distance stuff is never a good thing! What if it pulls us apart?

“Well, Ky, I don’t want to shoo you off, but… we’re running late,” Josh softly spoke.

I nodded my head as I looked up at them. They didn’t look happy now. It made me sad. But I followed them out to Josh’s truck. Kirstie stopped in front of the backseat door. She looked at me for a few seconds before she looked over at Josh with a huge smile. Seconds later, she was rummaging through the backseat.

“I know you wear Todd’s to bed,” she started before she emerged, making me nervous of what she was doing. “But,” she went on as she looked at me, holding something behind her back. “I figured you would want to know what it feels like to wear a Just Gorgeous guy’s jersey,” she smirked while handing me one of Josh’s jerseys.

Her actions made me smile and let out a few laughs along with her and Josh. Just to add to it, I pulled it over my head, tugging on it to bring to where Todd’s usually does: just above my knees. But Josh’s stopped at my mid-thigh.

“Well, this one fits me length wise,” I teased.

“Don’t you even say it!” Kirstie shouted, but it was in a teasing manner.

“I have to! When can I with him right there?” I asked, trying to hold in my laughs. She just made a face at me and crossed her arms across her chest. “Ok, I’ll be nice. Even though I tease you about how short you are… and how you run, I still have love for a motocross racer,” I smiled while going over and pulling him and Logan into a hug.

“You may be freakishly talk for a chick, but… I do have love for you too, Ky,” he replied before we parted.

“I am not freakishly tall!” I shouted, looking at him with a teasing glare.

All three of us laughed before we shared another round of hugs. Logan and Blake got some too before they were buckled in their seats, ready to be shipped of to North Carolina.

Kirstie and I shared another tight hug that Josh joined in on. He started fake sobbing, trying to lighten the mood. It kind of worked. Kirstie and I giggled through our tears. But it quickly faded. It didn’t change that they were leaving.

“Wait, mommy!” I heard Blake shout from behind the closed door. Josh reached over and opened it so that we could hear him plainly. “Aunt Ky’s a Grant now. Her Jersy says so… she can come with us,” he said, making me pout my lip out and say aw. If he weren’t buckled in, I would have had him in a tight hug, showering him with kisses.

“I need to get out of here. I’m going to cry even more,” I pouted once the door was shut again.

“Kirstie, get in before you see her cry,” Josh teased, knowing Kirstie would lose it if I did.

“Bye, Ky,” Kirstie softly spoke while puling me into the last hug that we would share for quite some time.

“Bye, Kirstie,” I replied, closing my eyes from hearing my own voice crack.

She pulled away and turned her back to me. I knew she was crying and didn’t want me to see. I sighed heavily and looked back at Josh. He opened his arms out to me and I slowly walked over to him.

“Take care of her,” I said quietly.

“I will. I promise,” he countered while rubbing my back gently.

We parted and he sent me a weak smile before he climbed into his truck. I stayed in their driveway, watching as they pulled out into the street. Tears were still streaming down my cheek as I waved at them.

Once they disappeared out of sight, I felt so alone. I knew my kids and Todd were waiting for me at home, but… my best friend was gone… She’s on her way to start living in North Carolina; thousands of miles away from Southern California.
♠ ♠ ♠
love mass updates :D lol

Ky

comment?