Granting a Thief's Wishes

Appointment with the Thief's Friend

"You're pink and fluffy, aren't you?"

"You're sleeping on the floor."

"But aren't we the lovey dovey couple?" Nicholas said with a fake puppy dog expression. I rolled my eyes and pointed aggressively towards the door.

"Never mind," I told him. "You're sleeping outside. On the couch. My mom won't allow us to sleep together anyway, nu-uh," I continued, wiggling my finger. He looked heartbroken and I rolled my eyes.

We were sitting in my old room (that quite frankly, needed some dusting. If I didn't know any better, I would've said that I swapped my nose with Rudolph the Reindeer). It wasn't that pink. The walls were actually light green. Sheesh.

But...with soft pink stripes but technically it was still green.

"Fluffy," he said, picking up an old pen of mine. It was purple with that feathery-fluffy-top thing. Fluffy pen.

"Cute stationery makes me more energetic to study or work, alright?"

"No one can take you seriously if you go into a job interview, with pigtails, bright yellow dress, fluffy pen and...what the heck is this?" He said, picking up my correction tape that was designed as a chocolate bar.

I sighed and got up, snatching away the correction tape from him. "I'm not that stupid as to go with a fluffy pen. Plus, a job interview is years away," I laughed. "I'm almost nineteen for god's sake. How old are you anyway?"

"Eighty. I know I don't look like it, but I got plastic surgery and everything because I'm under witness protection."

What the--

"You should tell the plastic surgeons to do a better job on your nose. Slightly crooked. With that face, you'd think they dropped out from school."

"You've got the hots for me, Susannah Bell. Just admit it."

There was no way around his arrogance, was there?

Thankfully, he reverted back to his confused-self when we sat down for dinner.

"No water fights using the orange juice, Kylie!" Mom bellowed. "We have a guest. A very shocked one if I do say so myself! Now stop it!"

"Really, I'm fine," he said. For the 16th time that evening. All of those 16 times, he had a high-pitched voice. I hid my smirk behind a glass of orange juice. Kylie rolled her eyes and slumped back to her chair as Laila shot her a triumphant smile.

Dinner was awkward, especially when my family still had the idea that Nicholas was my boyfriend. And Nicholas...being Nicholas, was in-character for his own amusement.

"Can I meet your friend after all of this is...over?"

Nicholas looked at me with a mouthful of food as he nodded gaily. "Dish ish shoo good."

Seriously, the guy looked as if he haven't ate food for a month. Mom, of course, beamed with pleasure. And then she smiled humbly at Nicholas who gave her a thumbs up. I rolled my eyes and slumped back to my seat.

"Yep, if we leave early we might still catch him."

"What do you mean, catch him?"

"He's a here and there guy. You know, one moment he might be in his bedroom making some poor slut scream, the next he might be in another town or something, looking for artifacts? I don't really want to know."

I hit his arm. "Mind your tongue!" I hissed, nodding discreetly towards Kylie who sat next to him, playing with her peas. Laila noticed this and with a point of her finger, one of the peas exploded.

"No magic at the dinner table, girls!"

"I'll leave him a text tonight, then?"

"I'd appreciate that," I said, stuffing my face with mashed potatoes. Unexpectedly, a few seconds after that he kissed me.

He placed a hand on the back of my head and brought my face to his. And then our lips met.

"You're welcome, honey."

I turned back to my plate, blushing hotly. I'll remember to slap him later. Just you wait, Nicholas Peterson.