Granting a Thief's Wishes

A Typical Morning

I wondered what color people saw when they were angry? Red, perhaps?

For some reason, I saw pink.

That morning, I woke up in Nicholas' shirt - big enough so that it could be some sort of a mini dress. The sunlight streamed through the venetian blinds of Megan's room, casting shadows over her room. I remained still in her bed, clutching the purple comforter tightly. I didn't want to get up.

When I knew about the fairy thing, months after dealing with countless witches trying to fix me pathetically, my mom's confusion, Laila's anxiety and Kylie's teasing, I wanted so much to forget about it.

Would it be different if I were a normal fairy?

Would I be different?

I turned over to my side and stared at my fingers. At first I thought I was just jealous because Kylie and Laila got to do all of those nifty tricks and I couldn't. All I could manage was grant other people's wishes, and even I didn't know how it worked sometimes. It was like I was a broken contraption. Sometimes I worked, sometimes I didn't.

Moreover, now I had another problem in mind. Without the bracelet, I may had been more than a broken contraption. I was a walking bad luck. I didn't know for sure. Maybe the things that had happened since a few days ago were pure coincidence. Maybe I should talk to mom.

But then what if I got her worrying more? And the next thing I knew I would be pulled out of school just to see witches. I shuddered at the memory. That was what she did the last time, if not worst.

"Are you going to stay that way, all day?" A voice came from the doorway. I shifted a bit to look at Nicholas, standing there all dressed up in a white, short-sleeved t-shirt and a pair of dark blue jeans. He was holding up a bowl of cereal.

What was he doing--

Oh right. This was his house. How could I've forgot about that?

"Your dress is in the dryer."

"Right," I replied, getting up as he walked over me.

"You still look like crap today," he noted, and I smiled sarcastically. "Why, thank you, Nicholas! What every girl needs to hear when she wakes up!"

"You know what I mean," he chuckled. He sat on the edge of the bed and offered me a spoonful of cereal, which I stared at for a few seconds before deciding, what the heck and the next thing I knew I was munching on Cheerios.

"There's something I have to tell you," I said after he made me laugh a couple of times, surprisingly. He played with the Cheerios before scooping up another spoonful. "I'm not sure if I'm right but there's something...wrong with me, without the bracelet."

"Oh?" He said, sounding distracted.

I didn't know how to tell him without sounding stupid. Now that I've calmed down, telling him this would sound just more stupid and unbelievable than him finding out that I was a fairy. And we all remembered how he was when he did.

I had completely thrown Nick off balance once, it would be almost delightful to do that to him again.

But no, I thought.

Megan was coming in the next day, I shouldn't have a lot to worry about. I'd just ignore all of people's wishes and wants, and when say...Nicole or Maddie wished for something, I could stop them. I could duct tape their mouth or something.

One more day to bear, without having anyone involve in my petty yet weird problems.

Nick. Hm, I liked calling him that much more than I called him Nicholas.

I looked at him. You know what, when he wasn't off smirking, being smug, teasing or playful with me, he was actually quite a nice person. He had a great laugh, great smile and I liked him this way - when he looked all distant and distracted, with thoughts clouding in his head or something. His eyes looked beautiful whenever he was in that state.

I stopped myself and blushed furiously. What the hell was that?

"The bracelet?" He said, looking like a child ready for a 5-minutes-scolding from his mother. I couldn't help but giggle at the sight.

"Nothing. You better wish that it's fine and dandy tomorrow."

"Oh, I am."

...Wait, oh my god, why did I say that? Why did I utter that hideous magic word?

"Or not," I said casually and he looked at me weirdly. "I mean, you better not wish at all. Na-da!" I said, laughing...a tad hysterically.

Fine. One day. One day.

The bad luck thing might not be true. I mean it was silly of me anyway.

My phone, which I placed under the pillow, rang shrilly, breaking the comfortable silence we were in. Nick jumped and caused the milk in the bowl to slosh around in the bowl, dropping down on the comforter.

"Shit, she's going to kill me!"

I pressed the phone to my ear, watching Nick running around trying to search for a tissue.

"Where the heck are you? I told the police you were missing and they said that they can't file a missing person report unless you disappeared for at least 24 hours. Idiots, those people!" Nicole's distressed voice said angrily to me.

"Nicole, I'm fine," I said, feeling touched and guilty all at the same time that she was worried sick about me. "Really, no reason to worry," I assured her. But she sounded really pissed off.

"This is the first time you've been away for so long without telling us first!" She exclaimed. "Where are you?"

"At...someone's place," I told her.

She stayed quiet for at least 5 seconds before saying, "I...well, I didn't expect you to shack up with someone without telling me. I'm offended."

I could practically see her in her PJs, drinking a cup of coffee with a knowing smile on her face. I rolled my eyes. Typical Nicole to think that I had a one night stand. "I didn't," I told her firmly.

"That's okay, your secret's safe with me."

"Nicole--"

"Shh, so how was it?"

I suppressed a giggle. Gosh, Nicole reminded me so much of my mom. When she had her mind set on something, it was hard to convince her otherwise. Nick was vigorously trying to remove the cereal and milk from the comforter.

"I'll talk to you later," I said. "And Nicole, trust me. I didn't do anything."

When I ended the call, I could've swore I heard her spat, "bullshit."

Right, my plan for the day was to hang out at somewhere where everyone minded their own business. A cybercafe? A...library.

Hey, that wasn't a bad idea, was it? I wanted to search for that mythology books anyway.

"So," Nick said after a while. "What's your plan for the day?"

"Why?" I asked him, feeling as if I should be playful and teasing this time, with the witty comebacks. Not him.

"Just thought I might take you out for lunch."

I wiggled my finger in front of him. "Now, now, are you developing a crush on me?"

"I think so, yes."

I stopped wiggling my finger. For the first few seconds I was too shocked to even speak.

It was hopeless. I was never going to be the one with the witty comeback and all if he kept making my heart do all sort of weird things with his stupid, stupid actions.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks so much for the awesome comments, I appreciate em' ;D
Hope you've enjoyed this light, fluffy chapter (wtf) :D