Granting a Thief's Wishes

Starbucks is Evil

After shopping, Nicole insisted that we go to Starbucks.

Nicole insisted on many things.

I didn't really mind walking into Starbucks. It seemed almost magical somehow. You know, when you stepped into Starbucks after doing some hardcore-shopping, you tend to look at any food-related-places as magical.

But Starbucks, it certainly looked cozy and felt comfortable just being in it. The aroma was making my stomach doing all sort of break-dancing moves too. And ooh, a muffin! Oh and they had cookies!

Right. Anyway, after you made your purchases, you realized it wasn't really that magical anymore. More like you just had been ripped off.

Er, not really. I mean I've spent so much on clothes and make-up today, I can practically see my bank account crying. Or was it the imaginary Susannah Bell that was bawling her eyes out? Had imaginary Susannah Bell been thinking about what she'll eat for the next couple of months? Bread again? God, no wonder she was crying an ocean--

"Susannah! Have you been listening to me, at all?" Nicole said.

"What? I'm sorry, I spaced out," I told her.

"Ooh really?" She said, with fake enthusiasm. "What did you thought about?"

"Um...numbers and stuff."

I wasn't really lying. I was thinking about numbers. How little green notes with numbers on it flew away from me. So yep, wasn't really lying.

"So here's basically what you miss," she said, smiling sweetly at me. "Someone is offering to pay for your coffee."

"You?" I said hopefully. She shook her head and pointed towards something behind me. I whirled around and saw a tall guy around his 20's probably. He was wearing a dark blue shirt with a pair of jeans. He had dirty blond hair and a pair of gray eyes.

To be honest, he looked as if he had woken up from his sleep. But he looked cute. Kind of. I turned back to look at Nicole and she shot me a surreptitious smile before saying that she had to "check her hair".

Damn it, Nicole.

"Looks like you're having a difficult time trying to choose something," he said, sounding amused. "Everyone here is impatient you know."

What? What the heck was he talking about?

I looked at the queue behind me, which looked as if it doubled. Oh, dear god. There was this one woman who looked so murderous, for a second there I thought she was going to stab me with her nail file.

"I'm sorry," I muttered, feeling the blood rushing to my cheeks. He turned to order quickly and clasped his hand around me (it was quite bold of him, but I didn't blame him. I was dumb-struck for a moment there) and we sat at an empty table outside.

"Do you do that a lot?"

"Do what?" I asked, wondering where the heck Nicole had went off to. I looked around and a few seconds later saw her flirting with a couple of college guys a few tables from us. They looked as if they were from our college actually...

"Hello?"

Oh shit. I did it again, didn't I?

He smiled at me. "I'll take that as a yes, then."

"Oh, shut up," I said, laughing.

So we talked for a bit. He introduced himself as Nicholas Peterson. Apparently he was a student too. A few minutes after we got our coffee, he said he had something to attend to and thanked me for a nice time.

Then he left. That was it. No swapping numbers, no "maybe I'll see you again sometime", nothing.

Which was fine with me. I was afraid that he might be some sort of a pervert or something. And since Nicole wasn't with me, he'll capture me and rape me or something. Or...or ship me to uh, somewhere, then sell me as a slave!

God, that would be so creepy.

We went back to the apartment around 5-ish. Madison was probably out somewhere at the beach (she had this thing of going out to the beach whenever she could, telling us that California beaches were awesome. It was like an addiction). Madison Reynolds had moved in with us about a few months ago, but Nicole loved her as soon as she unpacked her clothes and Nicole saw that 2/3 of her clothes consisted of designer's fashion.

I walked to my dressing table, removed my earrings and put them in the drawers. I felt so tired. Nicole always reminded me that shopping can be a form of exercise. Ugh.

Wait.

I looked down on my arm. I've been trying to unclasp the damn bracelet but the problem was, there wasn't anything on my arm to unclasp. Immediately, I felt a burst of panic exploded somewhere in my chest. This wasn't good for my arteries...

I hurried to my bed, rummaging through the carrier bags. Then I emptied out my bag, my pockets, everything. But I couldn't find it.

Nicole knocked on my door, wearing a white apron and holding a glass of juice. "What do you want for dinner tonight?"

I couldn't even think about dinner.

"Oh god," I whispered. "Oh god, I think I'm going to be physically ill."

Nicole grimaced. "My cooking's not that bad!"