Granting a Thief's Wishes

Bambi

I pried my eyes open in the midst of panicking and immediately regretted it as light clouded my vision – so blinding, it was as if lightning struck in front of me. Flinching, I then figured out that the left side of my neck was in pain. The pain apparently moved down to my left elbow. I couldn't move. I didn't want to. My muscles felt as if they were ripping themselves apart.

What did my mom say? Never talk to strangers. What did I do? Exactly that.

But in my defense, my mom meant someone creepy. Not a kid that looked as if he might die right there and then at my feet. How should I know he was a living dead? Ugh, and I've never been bitten by those leeches before in my life. I never knew it could hurt this much.

With my right hand, I touched the source of the pain and nearly bit my tongue off. Ow!

Mmf, I've never felt this exhausted in my life.

I blinked a couple of times, getting used to the brightness of the room. I wish I didn’t.

For the first time ever since I got thrown into this two-storey-apartment-slash-warehouse-like-building, I noticed the smell of blood. The sight of the brightly-lit room was grim enough to set me whimpering like a kicked puppy. I've never seen anything like it.

Shelves upon shelves were pixies – all in different colors and shapes. All were in distress for some reason that I found out a few minutes later. Near their shelves were dead remains of their kinds and other creatures that I didn't know. Heck, I thought some of them were extinct.

I gave a tiny shudder.

There were graphs and notes, written in unintelligible handwriting. They were taped on the walls, acting as some sort of wallpaper. The rubbish bin was full with papers too, and Chinese take-outs. Of course, I was scanning the little details of the room because I didn't want to find out the big ones.

But I can't pretend that I didn't see Ethan, practically snarling at Ryan. My head was thudding too much to even try to listen to them. How much blood did I lose?

Ethan was pretty stationary. But that was due to the fact that there were chains literally stabbing throughhis outstretched wings, the once-soft-feathers were broken and stained with blood. It was such a heart-shattering scene that my mind went completely blank. I wanted to protest, just do something but I couldn't.

"...sorry if there's no legal rules about…investigating…creatures."

Minute by minute, I could listen to a few of the words that the both of them were saying.

"Define investigating," Ethan yelled. "When was the last time murdering is considered investigating?!"

Another guy, who appeared in the room from the second floor, kicked Ethan down, forcing an agonizing groan from Ethan. Despite the bleeding and the pain, Ethan seemed to recover from it fast, his face taut with anger. And me, I was beyond confused.

Ryan was a sweet guy. He was nice and kind.

"You guys aren't human anyway. Killing you would be like…hunting a deer or something."

"God, don't you watch Bambi?"

Wha—where did that come from?

Oh. Me.

Drat.

"Oh hey, the fairy's awake," said a girl a couple of feet behind me. The guy who kicked Ethan and that girl had similarities. They both had light, cinnamon skin with dark hair and equally dark eyes. They were probably siblings. The guy had piercings all over his ears and one on his tongue. And the girl had tattoos on her right shoulder. Just some random pattern that I didn't recognize.

Ethan looked at me, giving a broken, half-smile and I felt a pang in my heart. I didn't see Neridae anywhere though.

"Sorry for what Lucas did to you, he didn't mean it," she cooed after she walked towards me. Then, she hit my back harshly, sending jolts of pain up and down my arm and neck again. I gritted my teeth, glaring at her.

"Now, what were we gonna do with her again?"

Ryan snorted, walking over to a wooden table in the middle of the room and sat on it. "This is just too good. The freak fairy walked into our territory, just like that—" he said, pausing to snap his fingers. "I couldn't just drag you away from now can I?"

"So you...actually broke my bracelet on purpose or something?"

"Oh no, that was an accident," he said, shrugging. "We've got a warlock upstairs to figure out If it's repairable or not."

This wasn't making any sense.

Oh no, wait. It did.

These people were literally insane.

Ryan walked over to me, cupping my chin. I never loathed anyone so much like I did with Ryan right then and there. "No one knows what's wrong with you, do you know that? We're going to find out. And by the time we do, we're going to be fucking millionaires."

Trembling with anger, I turned my head rapidly to the side.

And then my heart dropped.

"Nicholas?" I whispered as he descended the metal stairs, looking nearly immaculate.