Granting a Thief's Wishes

Queen of Ice

I didn't know why I created fire. I mean, it was hot and it could burn you to death. But maybe that was the reason why – I wanted to see Ryan burn to his death.

Forget why, I didn't even know how. I could've sworn I saw an image of a phoenix, but who knows. I didn't care. Frankly, the place would burn down and we would be trapped inside if we didn't think of a fast way to get out.

I couldn't think. I was too exhausted. I wanted to sleep, but it was so frustrating that I couldn't. The flash of fear in Ethan's eyes acted as caffeine to me. I was the only one who wasn't bound to anything. I knew I couldn't save anyone, let alone move my sore arm. But I had to try. I just had to.

I cringed when I dragged myself up, gritting my teeth. I couldn't see Ryan or the freak siblings anywhere. The screaming upstairs stopped. I had no idea how to bring out the pixies, sprites and other creatures. And I had a pang in my heart that I probably couldn't.

"Susannah," Ethan said. He looked confused more than afraid now. "What was that?" He asked. I shot him a look whilst rubbing my shoulder.

"The place is burning down…and you're asking me what was that while I myself don't even know—"

"Okay, okay. I get it."

Axe. Or anything heavy and sharp—

There was a huge, weird creaking-like sound before a wood – engulfed in flames – fell near us. I let out a small shriek, jumping slightly away. It was getting way hot in here. And Ethan looked in pain enough already. I couldn't just yank the chains out of his wings.

Ethan let out a snort of deranged laughter. ”This is so perfect. I'm going to be a roasted bird."

"Shut up, Ethan. Shut up," I said, panicking. "Couldn't you like break these chains with your hands?"

"Who the hell do you think I am? Superman?"

"Your sarcasm is not appreciated now!"

"Well, genius, don't you think if I could break these chains with my own bare hands, I would've done it an hour ago?"

What didn't he get by "your sarcasm is not appreciated now"?

"Look, I'm going to find something to get you out of this—"

"Let me."

Ethan and I stopped bickering and stared at the figure forming before our eyes.

"Kylie?" I spluttered. "What are you—"

"Nicholas," she answered. "Stand back."

"Nicholas? Nick?"

But she ignored me as water magically formed mid-air. She flicked her hands toward the chains. The clear, blue liquid wrapped itself around them and in a couple of seconds afterward, formed into ice. Kylie kept her stance for a few minutes, making circle-like movements with her hands before the chains finally broke apart.

Ethan was still in pain, what with the metals still clinging onto his wings heavily. But his eyes were fixated on the door upstairs – the fire slowly creeping up the stairs. "Tiff," he said with a strangled voice. But Kylie shook her head sternly, pointing towards the door.
"She's fine! We have to hurry out!"

"What do you mean she's fine?" Ethan argued, incredulous. "She was—"

"I said, Nicholas."

"The asshole?"

"OH FOR PETE'S SAKE!" Kylie screamed, dragging Ethan out. "Trust me! Okay, just do. She's safe. And Sara. Everyone up there had already escaped a couple of minutes ago, before the fire broke out. Now let's go!"

The exit was blocked with debris – on fire. I knew that fairy magic of that length lasted for a few minutes, and was really draining and exhausting. Any other people would be surprised that Kylie could even summon the last bit of energy that she had, putting out the fire at the exit.

But I know she was a tough cookie. She always was.

I couldn't back down just because my side was screaming in pain.

"Suze?!" Ethan called out.

"Go!" I shouted. "I need to do something! I'll catch up in a few!"

Ethan – thankfully – saw the desperation in my eyes. When I was sure that they had walk through those doors, I ran to the shelves. The sprites were kept in jars, so were the other small creatures. I didn't think I had enough time to screw open jars one by one – so I did the next best thing.

I pushed over the shelf. It took a while and a lot of my energy, but one by one they toppled down. And the jars crashed upon impact. The creatures did suffered scratches here and there – but thankfully they were all alright. I pointed to the slightly ajar doors and they understood.

Now, the caged ones.

There were griffins – mostly. But this was trickier than the chains. I blinked furiously, trying to spot something that could break the padlocks. To my dismay, I didn't think there was. The smoke was starting to suffocate me. In fact, I was starting to forget where the exit was.

Panic bubbled in the pit of my stomach.

I had never been this scared before in my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh-oh~