Granting a Thief's Wishes

Foolish

I felt very stupid. There I was, feeling sorry for the other magical creatures and 5 minutes later, I was stuck. Literally and figuratively. I was torn between the decision to flee or try to search around for an axe. But the more I spun around, trying to search for both – an axe and the exit -- I realized that my chances were disappearing right before my eyes – as was my air supply.

Coughing like crazy, I covered my nose and mouth with my sleeves, breathing through the fabric. My vision was getting blurry – but it didn't matter. My eyes were already half-closed because it stung too much. Wildly looking towards the griffins, screeching and pounding through the cages…

I came in here, trying to save everyone.

It was an impulsive decision. The practical me should know that what I was doing was beyond the point of stupidity. In a way or another, it was almost suicide. I came in here, trying to save. But I was the one who needed saving in the end.

Ah, I was always this foolish.

I couldn't breathe. Blinking the tears away furiously, I took one last look towards the distressed creatures. They were hoping too. Even though they knew that they didn't have a chance. I didn't have a chance myself. But who cares anymore.

I didn't.

Dad…

My mind whirled back, stopping at a certain memory that I didn't really forget about – just buried it somewhere at the very back of my mind. I realized that I probably had fell on the floor. I could still feel the heat. The smoke engulfed me, as if it was Death's arms; welcoming me in a deadly embrace.

Ugh, let it. I was too exhausted.

Wheezing uncontrollably, I closed my eyes and let that memory flood into my mind. This wasn't the first time I was in this situation. God, no. I was always foolish. My dad told me that. And naturally, I should be offended. But I wasn't.

It was when Laila was still a naïve kid. We were at our Aunt Julia – the witch – lake house. Dad was still alive. Aunt Julia lent us the place because she had to go to Venice to meet up with a student. My aunt acted as a teacher, teaching young witches spells and whatnots.

"Suziiieeee! Suuuziee!" Laila whined, tugging the hem of my sundress. It was summer. There was a vast lake near the house where we were chilling out on that warm Saturday afternoon. My mom told me to keep an eye on Laila and Kylie. Kylie was much quiet back then. So it was easy to take care of her. But Laila was the exact opposite. She had these ridiculous ideas, about how she wanted to 'collect' the 'glitters' in the lake.

No matter how much I told her it was impossible, that it wasn't glitter and it was sunlight – she wouldn't listen. Then Kylie started to throw her own tantrum, of all times. When I was off scolding Kylie because she was loud and irritating me, I didn't realize that Laila was edging towards the jetty.

It wasn't a stable jetty. The wooden planks were broken and…well, you get the drift.

I didn't know exactly how, but there was this loud snapping sound and a blood-curling scream. Without thinking, I forced the very scared and very confused Kylie to go and find mom. It took several minutes before she finally got what I was trying to say.

9-year-old me ran towards the jetty and dove into the lake. I was pretty short back then. Neither Laila nor I could swim. And yet I was stupid enough to jump into the water to save my baby sister. I ended up nearly drowning myself.

Dad saved me.

His face contorted with pain and anger. Tears were starting to form at the corner of his eyes as he yelled at me. "Fool! Susannah Bell you're such a foolish girl!"

I opened my eyes, looked up at him and cried at the sight of him sobbing. "Daddy! Daddy, I'm sorry!"
No one hold me as tight as dad did when I opened my eyes. He buried his face in my wet hair and wept. It was scary. My dad was usually a composed man. Strong and big. I thought he was invincible. To see him breaking down like that…

"Thank god," he muttered, stroking my hair. We stayed like that for a while before he carried me into the house, where I was embraced by my worried mom. "I'm sorry I can't watch Laila. I can't."

"It's okay, darling. It's okay," she said. Her voice was soft and gentle. Soothing. "She's safe. You're safe."

I didn't care.

I was mad at myself for not being a good big sister enough. I was sorry that I made my parents cry.

"IDIOT!"

My eyes snapped open.

I found myself staring into a pair of glossy gray ones.

"You're a fucking idiot," he repeated, his shoulders shaking. "What the hell is wrong with you, Susannah! You're such a foolish girl!"

Nick held me tight, refusing to let go.

And for the first time, someone did hold me as if their dear life depended on it. Just like dad.
♠ ♠ ♠
Umm...
I'm sorry if this update isn't that good >_<

There comes a moment in our lives (I think LOL) where we feel as if we're under the water - trying to reach out for the light but no matter how much we kick and swim, we were still drowning anyway. I feel like that now. But hey, that's life for you.

ANYWAY, I hope you've enjoyed this one nonetheless :3 I appreciate all of the comments and everything, so once again: THANK YOU so very much :D

The end is near. Mwahaha.