Granting a Thief's Wishes

A Mother's Delusions

I didn't know what I was doing, bringing Nicholas to the Bell's household. Maybe the thought of him thinking that I was lying irked me, and the thought of him being kind of superstitious was kind of taunting me.

I mean, how great would it be to freak someone out? Oh fine, sorry. Got a bit sadistic there.

That aside, I couldn't help but listen to a small voice squeaking somewhere at the back of my mind. A voice that told me that maybe I felt a spark of excitement and joy that someone would finally discover about fairies. That someone would maybe understand what kind of shit I felt knowing I was "unique" (as my mom said. But in my dictionary, that means freaky and or weird).

Kylie was sitting on the porch swing, wearing a pair of converse, a light yellow blouse and a pair of denim shorts. When she heard the roar of the motorcycle's engine, she jumped and looked up from her book. I think I gave her a stroke when she saw me riding on some annoying thief's bike...

Okay, maybe I should leave out the 'thief' part to my family.

"Suze? Susannah?" I heard Kylie said loudly. I just gave her a small smile and a little wave. To be honest, now that we actually got there, I was beginning to think it was a bad idea. Nicholas raised his eyebrow.

"This is where you live? Not a pond? A forest or something?"

I turned to look at him and he still had that lingering air of arrogance around him, paired up with his taunting smirk that I so wish I could smack right off of his face.

"We actually have a house a few miles from here, in the woods near a pond. Pixies just adore the pond so at night you could see glowing-like-insects, but they're actually tiny humans. So cute, so cute," I laughed, wiping a fake-tear from my eyes.

For a second there, he really looked as if he believed every word I spat out. I rolled my eyes and nudged him. "If you don't really believe this bullshit, as you call it, then why did you took a possibly-psychotic-girl-whom-you-don't-know-that-well all the way here, hm?" I said, challenging him.

"I don't have anything to lose," he said, sounding confident and smooth as ever as we made our way to the patio. The gravel crunched with every step we took, and I couldn't really explain why but I felt more and more relaxed as I went up to our house. Even if I got that asshole walking next to me.

"If I were to refuse your kind offer," he said, a bit sarcastically, "but if what you said is, by some miracle, really true, then I would be really, really upset with myself."

He paused, looking up at the cloudless sky before adding, "plus, possible-psychotic-girls are wild in bed."

"Ew, psycho," I whispered as we we walking up the steps to the patio. Kylie got up, looking confused and I flung my arms around her shoulders, bringing her into a tight embrace. "And here's my widdle baby swistah!"

"Ow, stop it!" Kylie muttered and I let her go. She looked annoyed, confused and embarrassed at the same time. Kylie gave Nicholas a once-over before smiling...

...quite flirtatiously actually towards him.

I blinked twice before looking at Nicholas. A smile tugged the corner of his lips as he shook Kylie's hand. "Hey there," he said. "What's your name?"

Oh god. Was it just me or was he actually...

My thoughts broke off when Kylie giggled her name out. I snatched Nicholas' arm, a bit roughly I might add, before dragging him inside. Kylie followed us and I leaned close to Nicholas. Close enough to whisper to him, I mean.

"Oh my god, you're a pedo, aren't you? Lay one finger on my sister and I swear, Nicholas, I'll cut that finger of yours and force you to eat it."

"She's just cute," he said teasingly and I pinched his arm. "Okay, okay!" Nicholas finally hissed. "I'm sorry, I was just joking. Damn it, Susannah!"

"So what's your um, relationship with my sister?" Kylie asked. I was just about to answer why he was really here, but to my utmost surprise Nicholas stopped in his tracks and faced Kylie seriously.

"She's my girlfriend."

Oh my god, oh my god! That bastard!

"Susannah!" I heard my mom's shocked voice behind me. Oh god, this was not happening! "And...hello there," she said, looking up towards Nicholas. You gotta hand it to the guy, he was quite tall.

"It's nice to have finally meet you, Mrs. Bell," he said politely. What the fuck was up with the sudden change of attitude?

Holy shit. I've gotta...I need to stop this.

"He's not my boyfriend," I said, my voice all pitchy and strange. "He's just a friend!"

Suddenly, Nicholas' arm snaked around my waist, pulling me closer to him. Laughing, he told my mom, "you know how shy she can be. After all, I'm not really the type she usually goes out with, right?"

Mom looked back and forth towards us before giggling.

No!

"No!" I gasped but mom shook her head. "You're right about that, my boy! She always bring these serious type of men to dinner. What was your ex's name, darling? Michael? Asking me about stock exchanges! Like I know anything about em'!"

"Mom!"

The both of them laughed, while Kylie giggled.

"You shouldn't keep these things a secret from me, Susannah," my mom said, turning her attention to me. "I need to know if these guys are good for you or not! No offense, um..."

"Nick. Nicholas Peterson."

Mom shot me a thoughtful look and I looked down at my feet as if they were the most interesting thing on the planet. Ugh, I knew she wanted to talk about this for the entire night. And there was no way convincing a mother who was already hearing the wedding bells chiming in her head otherwise.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think I'll be having fun writing the next few chapters ;D

As usual, thanks for reading and commenting. I really appreciate it! :) And hope you've enjoyed this one.