Status: Hiatus due to school

Out of Haven

Through Spring and Summer

Aster led Zeda to a stream of water that cut through the woods so she could cool down. Once they entered Spring's territory they slowed down considerably. Neither horse nor rider was used to the warmth that was in Spring. She sat on a nearby rock and had a quick meal of dried meat, cheese, and an apple. She gave Zeda the core then hoisted herself back onto the saddle. She got lightheaded as she sat straight up.

"How am I to make this journey when I can't keep myself up in Spring. Summer will kill me before I can reach Fawn."

The pair set off again to get out of the woods. The woods in Spring were the most beautiful because the plants and animals were the most alive. The leaves were the fullest and the deepest green. The flowers gave off the sweetest scent as everything entered the stage of birth. The creatures were busy finding food and shelter for their families. For most fey this thought would be refreshing and wonderful, but for Aster it was sickening. Maybe it was because she was Winter, but it was the thought of birth and life that made her cringe. She needed to find a way to get over this feeling. Aster is the heir to Winter and will soon be queen. If she doesn't find a mate then her line will end and Winter will be in turmoil. She shuddered at the thought of finding a mate and settling down. Their pace slowed considerably as they were out of their natural season.

Aster reached the town near the Spring castle and gasped. She had only seen the castle a few times and it was always stunning. It is customary for a traveling royal to make an audience with the court they were visiting, but because she was in a hurry and didn't want to stay in Spring any longer than necessary, Aster moved along putting the hood of her cloak on in hopes that she would not be recognized. She was halfway through the busy market when a girl ran into Zeda causing her to be startled. She was just about to scold the girl when she realized it was Princess Willow.

"Willow, why are you running about the marketplace unattended?"

"Aster, why are you riding with your cloak up without visiting the castle?"

"I haven't the time to meet with your mother. Maybe on my way back I can pop in, but for now I must be gone. If I tell no one of your market adventures will you tell no one about my passing through?"

"Okay Aster, but you have to promise to visit when you come back through again."

"Of course I will sweetheart. Now you better run along and do try to stay out of mischief."

Willow nodded and ran between the stalls. Aster continued through Spring with no one else recognizing her which relieved her immensely. If no one in Spring would recognize her then surely no one in Summer would. The Summer fey were a bubbly, empty-headed lot. Of course it's only because of the Udara's attitude.

Aster knew when she entered Summer's district because she could feel nothing but heat all around her. She looked at Zeda and realized her horse was reaching it's limit. The atmosphere change was becoming too much, but she knew her trusty steed could make it through.

"After we get through Summer," Aster said to Zeda in reassurance, "we will be in Autumn. You can handle that season because it is not so different from ours. Be strong my beauty and see us through."

Zeda seemed to have caught her words and with a new energy quickened their pace. Aster stopped them suddenly when she saw Summer's castle town. There was a huge party and right in the center was Udara and her father. She didn't stop quick enough though, and Udara caught sight of her.

"Aster my dear please come and enjoy the festivities." Udara called loudly. She was obviously drunk off Summer Wine.

"I cannot stop Udara I'm on a very important errand for my mother. There is no time for me to sit and socialize."

"Oh, but you won't be sitting and socializing. You'll be dancing and socializing. There is a very big difference you know."

Aster had to bite her tongue at this. Her tolerance for the Summer fey was reaching the end and she had to get away quickly before she said something she would regret.

"I really must be away. I'm meeting Fawn so I can help her with something."

"Dear Fawn. I love her so, but she can be way too serious. All this researching and trying to find cures for things. That isn't for royalty to do, and it is ever so boring. I don't see why she continues to do it."

"She does it because it is necessary for our people." Even though I don't care either I know that is what mother would want me to say, Aster thought to herself. "Now I really must be going. My horse is about to expire if I don't get her out of this dreaded heat. Tell your father I'm so sorry I could not make an audience and I mean no offense, but I really must be off."

With that she had Zeda speed away with all the strength she could muster. She knew when she reached Autumn because she could feel Zeda's energy rising. After riding for a bit she realized why Fawn was in such a rush to find a way to fix Haven. Aster saw trees that were dying, not because of the season, but because of whatever disease plagued them. She also saw creatures of all sorts lying dead or dying. It was everything she could do not to cry. She pressed onward, her mind numb after seeing all the death. Before she even realized it she was at the gates of the Autumn castle. The guards let her in and she rode her horse to the stables. After she climbed off her back she put her face in Zeda's hair and cried.

"What would I ever do if I were to lose you or Faythe?"

After a good cry she wiped her tears and readied herself. It was time she made her presence known.