Colors

The First Date

I looked in my floor length mirror just before going downstairs to meet Mitchall. I looked fabulous, I have to say. My already pale skin looked paper white against my hot pink dress.

The dress was lace, knee length, and strapless. The skirt of it was poffy, and shook with every move I made. Around the midsection, a pink satin bow was tied. My hair was up in the back, and two ringlets framed my face. My freckles popped out, and my eyes shone a brighter emerald than I'd ever seen them. The diamond studs in my ears sparkled under my bedroom light. I had silver studded heels on, making me appear three inches taller.
I smiled at myself in the mirror.
I tripped once on the stairs, but once I got to ground level I was steady.
"Wow." My father and Mitchall stood up from the couch. I hadn't seen my father in three weeks. He and Joe were going "hunting". I ran over and hugged him, and he spun me around in his arms. "Hey, baby girl, I missed you!"
Things hadn't changed much since the father situation. He was still my father, and he still loved me. He'd been gay the whole time, so he was still the same man. Plus, I'd always had a soft spot for my daddy. "I've missed you too, Daddy."
"We'll see you later tonight, Sir." Mitchall said, taking my hand.

When I was in the car I was given a blindfold and was instructed not to remove it until we reached our destination.
It was a five minute drive, and I didn't have to take off my blindfold to know that we were at the beach. I could smell it. The beach was one of the perks of living in a town on the coast. I could hear the waves crashing, feel the cool wind against my face, and smell the salt in the air.
Mitchall removed the blindfold and I felt like I could stumble to my knees if I took another step. It was absolutely beautiful.

The tiki torches were set up in a circle, with a bonfire in the middle. Off to the side, a table with a single red candle in the middle and two chairs was set up. Mitchall had made the food himself; Crab and pasta, and he'd brought a bottle of white wine.

I couldn't believe all of it.
Mitchall took me in a fireman's carry, and brought me to my seat. He opened the wine and filled our glasses. "A toast," He held up his glass, "to new beginnings."
"Here, here!" I sang, clinking glasses with him.

The date went wonderfully. After dinner we watched the sunset, and counted the stars. We stayed until the fire burned out, then we went to a drive-in theater to watch an old movie. Nightmare on Elm Street was playing that night. When he brought me home he didn't kiss me goodnight. We talked on the porch for an hour. We made another date for two days later.
I closed the front door behind me, leaned on it, and gave a big sigh. A smile played on my lips. I ran to the window to watch him drive away, since he was going to Ian's.
No sooner had Mitchall's car left the street than Sam burst into the house. "I need details, woman!" She demanded. "Details! How did it go?"

We sat at the kitchen table and I explained the date to her. In perfect detail. Not leaving out one bit. "He loves you so much," She sighed.
"You want some coffee?" I offered, changing the subject. I'd hoped that she would drop it. No such luck.
"Sure. Do you think you'll ever fall in love, again?"
"Not with Mitchall." I said, flatly.
"Well, why not? Bay, he's absolutely perfect for you. He's a jerk sometimes, granted, but he can put that aside when he tries. And he's such a romantic when he's with you. And he's absolutely sexy. Have you seen his eyes?" She was obviously confused as to why I was so stubborn on this subject.
"Yes, I'm quite aware that my fiance is romantic, and sexy, and has beautiful eyes. I'm even more aware of his jerkishness." I poured our coffee. "Creamer?"
"Sure."
"But it's Mitchall. He's like my older brother. I'm not over Timothy yet, and I'm not fond of the fact that my whole marriage has been arranged!" I gave Sam her coffee and took a sip of my own. "I can't help it, Sam. It's my inner rebel coming out."
"This isn't a joke, Baybelle. It's not like you're gonna get out of here. If you don't learn to love Mitchall, you're going to be miserable."
"What about you," I inquired, "do you love Ian?"
"Honestly?" She took out her cell phone, checking to see if he'd texted her. "Yeah, I think I'm genuinely in love with him. He's the best man I could have ever asked for, but I haven't told him yet... He said I don't have to rush it. I love him so much, Bay." Her eyes were filling with happy tears, and suddenly I was jealous. She was so happy with the man she was matched with, and although Mitchall made me happy, I knew I would never be in love with him.
I promised myself that night that Mitchall, our fathers, and I would get out of this town. We deserved it, and I'd do whatever it took to make it happen.
♠ ♠ ♠
I thought I'd do another chapter tonight, to make up for how long I've been gone.
Comments?