Colors

The First Kiss

During summer vacation, Mitchall and I went on dates twice a week. Sometimes we'd double date with Sam and Ian. Every night, Sam and I got together, we'd talk about our dates and plan our weddings. Eventually, Sam really believed that I was falling in love. Mitchall and I were the only ones who knew how I really felt.
My father found out though, Thanksgiving night. And since my father found out, so did Mitchall's. They could see right through my act after that.
Senior year couldn't have come any slower. I hated every moment that passed. The first day of school proved that life wasn't getting much better.

I climbed the stairs to Grayson High School's front doors. I was expecting a complete change in my life, starting today. And my life did change. For better, and for worse.
During Sixth hour, Forensics, all seniors were called to the auditorium. Mitchall took my hand, and we walked, along with three-hundred other students.
We filed into the seats, Mitchall and I sat with Sam and Ian. Whispers buzzed around the room as Mr. Brandt mounted the stage. When the principal picked up the microphone everyone listened.
"Welcome, class One-Oh-Nine!" The crowd exploded into screams, cheers, and claps. Mr. Brandt held up his hands and everyone went silent, again. "You have all made it to your final year at Grayson High. Congrats! This year, the hour you'll be spending with your fiance will be different. Now, you will be planning your weddings. You will find out where, when, and who will be coming. Every detail will be made this year, and submitted to the council. In addition, if you wish to have children the next year, you must submit that into your forms."
Questions were asked and answered. I shivered in Mitchall's arms.

Married. I could not be getting married! Mitchall and I hadn't even shared our first kiss. I didn't want to get married. It was my greatest fear.

I didn't talk to Mitchall until sixth hour. That was when we met in our room. I didn't know how to talk to him. Luckily, Mitchall was never at a loss for words.
"What the hell has been up with you lately, Freckles?" He shouted. "Can't you talk to me? Did I do something wrong?"
"No."
"Then why the hell won't you talk to me?" He was tearing up. I'd only seen Mitchall cry once before, the night we'd made up freshman year. I didn't want to see it again.
"Mitchall, I don't want to be married!" I cried.
He looked shocked. At both my tears, and my statement. I saw every emotion flash behind his eyes.
"You... Don't want to marry me?" He was stunned. So was I. I thought he knew.
"Mitchall, other than Sam, you're my best friend. I don't want to marry you, but I know I won't be miserable. It's a confusing process."
"Do you love me, Bay?" He was begging me with his eyes to say yes.
"I do, Mitchall. Just not the way you want me to. I'm sorry." I could have died when I saw a tear roll down his cheek. I brushed it away. "I want to, Mitchall. I want to so bad, but I can't. I just need to get out of this town..."

He took my face in his hands, "If you want to get out of here, I'll get you out." I probably looked confused because he explained further. "My father just got hired as an Outside escort. You know, for those rich people that have pull in the government and want a change of scenery. I don't know if we can work it out before the wedding, but I will get you out of here. I promise." And he kissed me, warm against the lips. One absolutely beautiful, passionate, hungry, breathtaking kiss. One that would make Romeo and Juliet look like brother and sister. A girl would kill for a first kiss like that, and I didn't feel a thing. By the look on his face there wasn't a spark for him, either. But he didn't say a word.
"You know, outside of this town, we may not actually be married."
"I know."
The bell rang, and he walked out without another word.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?