Colors

Roses

P.O.V. Mitchall:

She closed the door behind her, and I sat up in tears.
Why would she want to sell her dress? Why couldn't she love me?
I didn't understand any of it. Our wedding seemed like it happened a year ago. She'd looked so beautiful.So much for the honeymoon.
I wiped my face, disgusted with myself. I was pathetic over her.
Maybe I should sell my tux...

"Hey, Mitch?" My dad knocked on the door, and came in. "I think you should go out. Find a job. Do something." He looked me over, but I didn't say anything to him. "Not doing anything isn't gonna bring her back, Son. Go do something productive. Find a job. Meet a girl," He paused and smirked. "or a guy. I don't judge."
I laughed, "No offence Dad, but I don't swing that way."
He held up his hands and backed out of the room, still smiling.

He was right, and I knew it. What did I want to do with my life, though? As a kid I always wanted to be a firefighter. I could go down to the station to see if I could get a job, then I'd go to the park and meet a girl.
I grabbed my wallet from a suitcase, changed my shirt, and headed out. "I'm leaving!" I shouted and waved back at my dad as I headed out the door.
__
P.O.V.: Baybelle

The library hired me on the spot. I would start the next day, at nine AM.
It was still morning though, so I decided to walk around. I remembered seeing a Spiritual Growth shop the day before. I weaved in and out of stores for three hours before arriving at the eerie store. We never had anything like this back in Grayson, but I’d read about places like it.
The air was filled with a layer of smoke. It smelled like musk. I wandered through the antique furniture, and mirrors, and statues, absolutely mesmerized. I purchased a few candles, a dozen rose incense cones, a Chinese-dragon-framed mirror, and a beanie. It only cost me a little over thirty dollars: I was proud of my treasures.
I bumped into someone on my way out, "Sorry." I mumbled, quickly walking away.
I'd hadn't even walked a block before someone was yelling for me. "Hey, New Girl!"
It was the boy from McDonald's. Jay. He rushed up to me with a bag just like mine. He set his hand on my shoulder. "You, my dear, need a name." He smiled crookedly, and a knot formed in my stomach.
"I-uh... My name is-uh, Baybelle... Vinsont."
"Really?"
"Yeah, you got a last name, Jay?"
"Oh." He looked at me funny, "Yeah. I'm Jay Erikson. You related to Nadia Vinsont?" I narrowed my eyes in confusion. "You look just like her, and your last name is the same, I just kinda figured..." He chuckled to himself. "Kinda weird."
I couldn't believe it. "Where's she from?"
He bit his lip for a moment, thinking. "She moved here from Moscow about three years ago."
I was speechless. I couldn't believe him. I knew it would be bad for me to get my hopes up. Nadia wasn't an uncommon name, there could be thousands in Russia. And I wasn't even sure that mine was from Moscow. I started walking away, distracted by my own thoughts. Jay followed. "Hey, Bay, I promise I ain't stalkin' ya." He jumped in front of me to make me stop and held out the bag in his hand. "You dropped this when I bumped into you."
I snatched the bag from him. "Thank you." I breathed. He was standing so close to me, I could feel the heat radiating off of him.
"Hey, you want to go to the park with me? I'm meeting my sister there, and I'm sure she'd love to meet you." His eyes sparkled with excitement. "Please?"
I could feel the butterflies fluttering in my chest, and I felt light headed. I looked down at my bags, "I have to go home first."
He blinked in surprise, as if he'd expected me to decline. "Great!" He beamed, he motioned to the motorcycle next to him, "I can give you a ride."
I was terrified of motorcycles, bit I didn't want him to know, so I mustered up a look of confidence and put my bags in the sidecar. "Great." I grumbled. He sat on the bike and patted the spot behind him, handing me his helmet. "Hop on."
I climbed onto the thing behind him and he revved the engine. I clung to him like my life depended on it.
I gave him directions to my apartment complex and when we got there Jay had to pry my hands off his chest so he could get off the bike. He held out his hand, I took it and hopped off. My legs felt like jello beneath me, and I collapsed. Jay caught me. "Whoa, Bay," He stood me up and held onto my arm so I wouldn't fall over. "careful."
He caught my eye, again, and I blushed. "Thank you."
We chatted lightly on the way to my room. I found out that he was seventeen, a senior in high school, he lived with his sister and mother, his father left them when his sister was born. We talked about hobbies, the town, and our families.
Turns out we'd been standing in front of my door for about thirty minutes.

I took out my key, and opened the door. Immediately upon arrival, Joe came in to give me a hug. "Hey, sweetie, who's this?" He asked innocently, reminding me of my mother back in Grayson.
"This is Jay Erikson, I met him yesterday."
Jay poked me on the shoulder, "Hey, I'm gonna run next door n' tell my mom what's going on, okay?"
"I-Yeah, okay." He let out a nervous laugh, and retreated. I’d had no idea that he was our neighbor.
"I met his mother," Joe said, "Nice woman. I'm glad they're our neighbors." He went back into the kitchen.
"Hey, where's Dad and Mitchall?" I asked.
Joe stuck his head back out. "Your father is at the gym, and Mitchall went out to find a job."
"Oh..." I hoped to invite Mitchall to the park with Jay and me.
I set my bags onto my bed, rummaged around for a cone, and lit it. The smoke began to fill the room with a floral aroma.
I left my room to go see if Jay was ready, saying goodbye to Joe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?