Colors

Come Home

I woke up to find that we were on the move, again. "Mitchall?" I sat up, it was still dark outside.
"Oh, good. You're awake. Here." Mitchall handed me a mcmuffin. "Eat it."
I snatched it from his hand and scarfed it down in record time. "Thank you." I burped. "Where are we headed today?"
He kept his face straight and eyes on the road as I climbed into the passengers seat. "We're going home." I panicked, checking all the mirrors, trying to see who was following us.
"What do you mean 'We're going home'?" I clutched at the bottom of my chair, "Did they find us?"
"They didn't find us." He said, flatly.
"Then why-" It hit me then. We were going home. To Belling. I hugged him, making the car swerve a little, and planted a kiss on his cheek. "I love you!"
He pushed me away with a smile, "Yeah, yeah. Get your seat belt on, Freckles."
I could just imagine how long it took him to get our fathers to agree to this. He'd probably been up all night arguing with them. I smiled to myself.
For six more hours we drove, never stopping. We played music and danced in our seats at red lights. Or, at least, I did. Hopefully by this time the next day we'd be home. We stopped at a Steak-and-Shake to eat around eight-thirty. Mitchall stopped the car and we hopped out. I looked around the parking lot. "Mitchall, where are our fathers?"
He opened the door to the restaurant, "Probably still in Florida, looking for us."
A smile creeped across my face as I walked inside. "So... You mean to tell me that you didn't tell them we were leaving?"
He winked. "It's not like they can't guess where we're going." He pulled my seat out for me, "Sis." He motioned for me to take a seat.
I sat down. A waitress took our orders and brought us our drinks. We waited for our food in satisfactory silence, both of us wearing a satisfactory smile. "So," He began, "Lindsay..." He let her name hang in the air, as if that was all he needed to say. And it was.
"She likes you, Mitchall."
He smiled brightly, looking proud. "I just hope she forgives me for leaving her."
"She will." I stated. There was no doubt in my mind that she would not only forgive him, but enthusiastically welcome him home.
__

It had been over five months since she left. I still kicked myself in the butt for not driving after her. She'd probably forgotten all about me. I still thought about her all the time, though. I was a senior in highschool and my grades were slipping. I simply couldn't stay focused in class. I was always wondering where they were, what they were doing. Lindsey wasn't much better. All she ever talked about was Mitchall. It didn't matter how short a time we knew them, we wanted them to come home.
"You guys, its past dinner. Please eat something." She'd bought us pizza. Again. She'd found a good paying job now, but that meant she didn't have a whole lot of time at home. We ate for a while, listening to the radio. Mom had to leave, taking the leftovers with her. Lindsay came over and hugged me. "How you holding up, Bro?" She asked.

"I'm fine." There was a knock on the door. I'd invited Nadia to dinner a few nights ago. Maybe she hadn't been sure what day I was actually talking about. I felt a little guilty that we'd eaten already. I walked to the door, not bothering to check the peephole before opening it. "Hey-"
I was tackled to the floor, hitting my head. I was completely caught off guard, but then she sat up. BayBelle. My BayBelle. She practically sang my name, "Jay!"