Colors

Mother

"Can I come in?"
Mitchall was standing on my doorstep, still holding my hand.
"Are you ready to tell me what happened at lunch?"
"It was stupid..." He blushed.
"I don't care," I stated flatly. "Come on, we can talk in my room.

"Bay, welcome home!" Mother wrapped me in a hug. "Mitchall! How are you? I haven't seen you since you were ten!"
"That’s because that's when he broke my arm." I grumbled.
"I've been fine, Mrs. Lain." He gave her his finest 'movie star' grin.
"Well," I interrupted, "Mitchall and I have a lot to talk about." I grabbed his hand, led him through the kitchen, into the living room, down the stairs, and into my bedroom. I closed the door behind us.
"Talk?"

"Okay, look. I know you don’t like this. I'm not too fond either- actually I can't picture you as anything more than a little sister, or somethin'- but that's why I was so upset at lunch!" He was rambling. Something, I'd come to realise, he did a lot when he was nervous.
I was still confused. "Well, you didn't seem that upset about marrying me at Yellow. What changed in the five minutes you went to get a napkin?"
He looked away, his cheeks turning pink. "I overheard some of the guys, talking about you. They were saying that you got pregnant last year, and that's why you left school. I just got real pissed off." He looked up, giving me the puppy dog eyes, and an evil grin. "I'm sorry, if I worried you."
I playfully punched him in the shoulder. "Yeah, worried. More for myself. You looked like you were gonna kill me!" I sarcastically remarked.

We chatted for a few hours, before going upstairs to say goodbye.
I walked him to the door, he took my hands in his, and kissed them. "See you in the morning, Wifey" He sang, giving me a wink.
Mother rushed up beside me, "But, of course you aren't leaving! Dinner is almost ready, I'm just setting the table. You'll have to stay. Please?" She was practically begging him- even puffing out her lip, the corner of her eyes crinkling in a smile.

"Well-," He was caving, "alright. I'll just have to call up my mother."
He walked into the kitchen. Mother hugged me, then held me at arms length. "So," She intrigued. "Mitchall?"
"Mitchall." I said, practically emotionless.
"We're going to have a talk later, young lady!" She teased.

Dinner went great. Mother didn't mention anything too embarrassing, from either of our childhoods. She didn't even interrogate him!
Father didn't go to the bar that night, so he got home around 9 o'clock. "Goodnight." was all he said, as he walked past us.

Mitchall pulled me close "If this works out," He whispered to me, "that won't be us."
At the same time my mother said, "You two are so cute!"
"I know." I said, to no one in particular. "So," I looked up at Mitchall, "When are you going home?"
"Well," He said, smiling, "My mother said I don't have to be home until 11:30. Seeing as I'm kinda your neighbor, I figured... Oh, say, around 11:28?"
"Perfect!" Mother exclaimed, "I'm going to bed. You guys can watch a movie." She seemed to be much more thrilled about this match than I was.
"Wasn't that due yesterday?" I called after her, as she walked away. She just waved over her shoulder.

"Okay," Mitchall said, "Let's watch The Ring." He walked over to the DVD player, popped in the movie, sat on the couch, and plopped his feet onto the coffee table. It looked like he'd lived here for years. He pat the seat next to him. I sat.
By the credits, I was out.
"Baybelle?" Mitchall shook my shoulder, and my head fell onto his chest. "Fre-ckles?" He smiled down at me, and kissed my forehead. "Sweet dreams."
He got up, set my head on a throw pillow, and covered me with a blanket. "See you tomorrow." He whispered from the door, and closed it behind him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?
What do you think of Mitchall and Baybelle?