Colors

Daddy Dearest

The rest of the week went by really fast. Mitchall and I hung out every day- no dates, though. I finished sculpting, painting and glazing "Mother". I was the only one in class to get 100%.
Sam and Ian went on their first date, she slept at my place afterward to give me all the details.
Mitchall and I acted perfect, just like we were expected to.

Friday night, the Harigs came over for dinner, Father was drunk before they even arrived. "Joe!" He slurred as they walked through the door, "Want a beer?"
"Sure!" Joe said, a little too enthusiastically. "I'd love one, Bry." They ran off to the garage, and weren't seen again.
Elizabeth, Mitchall's mother, looked sad, but painted on a smile for my mother. "Trisha, how have you been?"

Mitchall took me into the living room, "I'm sorry," He stated, "I tried to get them not to come but, well, you know how my father is."
"Well, you can't really blame him," I reasoned, "they're best friends."
Mitchall gave me a weird look, then his eyes widened. "Wait. You don't know?"
"Know what?"
"Honey, our dads are practically in love."

The next few hours seemed to fly by for me. Joe, my father's best friend, was in love with my father... Even stranger still, my father was in love with my supposed boyfriend's father. Who is a man. He was gay, but he was married... To a girl. How could my parents stay together? They couldn't possibly be happy.
Joe and my father stumbled into the house after dinner. They were falling all over each other as they made their way to the living room. Mitchall winked at me.
There were very few couples in town, at that time, that were not happy together in the end.
"So, Mitchall, hows school been?"

I left the room, not wanting to hear my mother’s small talk. I walked into the living room to watch the news, but found my father and Joe on the couch making out. Joe was taking my fathers belt off. I ran to my bedroom so no one could see me cry.

"Freckles?" It didn't take Mitchall long to realise my absence. "Can I come in?"
"Just a second!" I called.
I brushed my hair, cleaned off my running mascara, sat on my bed and opened a book. "Come on in!"
"I heard you crying." He stated, seeing straight through my facade. The waterworks started up, again. I felt humiliated.
"I saw them!" I wailed between sobs "Our dads- they were kissing on the couch, taking each others pants off! It was so weird! My father. Is. Gay!" I hiccuped, trying to breathe.
Mitchall came over, picked me up, and sat me back down on his lap. He rocked me back and forth, and played with my hair. "It's okay. Shh-shh, it's okay." He chanted.
We sat like that for hours.

As it turns out, Mitchall had known that our fathers were having an affair since he was ten. He had walked in on them having sex, while our mothers were out. But our mothers really were in love with our fathers. The day after, Mitchall had broken my arm.
My parents, also, had never tried to have a kid before adopting me. Trisha was forced to adopt because my father refused to have sex with her, and there were no sperm donors. Elizabeth had gotten Joe drunk so he would sleep with her. That's why my father started drinking.
Everything changed for me that night. Was I even really russian? For the first time in my life, I wanted to meet my biological mother.
Nadia Vinsont.

Mitchall ended up spending the night.