You Know My Love is Always On Your Side

Tenth Grade

~Tuesday, September 1st, 2007~

“Maybel Winterson, get your butt up!” Mason yelled as he jumped on his crush’s bed.

“Oh my God what time is it?” Maybel shrieked as she sat up, realizing it was the first day of sophomore year.

“7:30. Get up!” Mason yelled and pulled her up.

Maybel rushed around the room to find clothes. She ran into the bathroom and quickly got dressed and ready.

“Okay how do I look?” she asked as she came back in the room.

“Like a damn nerd.” Sophie said as she walked past the room.

Mason rolled his eyes.

“You look beautiful.” he smiled.

Too damn beautiful, he thought.

***

~October 5, 2007~

At the back of the classroom during Chemistry, Maybel was staring at Tristen. Being that she finished her class work extra early, she figured it was the perfect time to admire him. Every girl wanted him; being that he was gorgeous, captain of the football team and an all around nice guy. What’s there not to love? Oh yeah, there’s on thing; he’s dating the biggest bitch known to man. Maybel somewhat glared at her sister for dating him. Sophie turned and saw her twin staring at her boyfriend. She glared at Maybel and turned Tristen’s head. She kissed him hard on the mouth and smirked at Maybel who looked crushed.

***

~December 24th, 2007~

Sophie and Tristen were walking around the mall looking for last minute Christmas presents.

“Soph can I tell you something?” Tristen asked.

“Yeah, what?” Sophie asked as they stopped walking.

“…I love you.” Tristen smiled.

Sophie smiled.

“Aw, that’s so cute. Here, hold these while I look in there.” Sophie said and handed him the bags.

Tristen frowned and rolled his eyes.

I’m getting tired of this bull shit. Why can’t she be like Maybel, he thought.

***

~March 5th, 2008~

“You know what I don’t get?” Mason asked.

“What?” Maybel asked her best friend as they sat in the grass outside of school.

“I don’t get why people get worked up over their first kiss.” he wondered as he watched Tristen and Sophie make out across the lot.

“Me either. I just want to get it over with.” Maybel shrugged.

“Me too.” Mason agreed.

“Maybe we should kiss.” he said a few minutes later.

“Why?” Maybel asked as she looked at him.

“Just to get it over with.” he lied.

“Okay I guess.” she shrugged.

Mason sat across from her and pulled off her glasses. They both hesitantly leaned forward until their lips touched. Mason deepened the kiss a bit and from that moment, he knew that he was in love with his best female friend.

I feel like I’m in heaven, he thought.

“You know that didn’t mean anything right?” Maybel asked when they pulled away.

And I just crashed back down to earth, he thought.

***

~June 15th, 2008~

“Finally, its summer!” Mason grinned as he walked out of the school with Maybel.

Maybel smiled lightly.

“We doing movie night tonight?” he asked.

“Of course, its Friday.” Maybel smiled.

“Hey guys.” Tristen greeted as he approached them.

Maybel felt butterflies in her stomach.

Why does she have to love him and not me, Mason thought sadly.

“Hey.” Maybel smiled.

“What are you guys doing tonight?” Tristen asked.

“Movie night/Nothing” they said.

Mason said movie night, hoping Tristen would take a hint to beat it. Maybel said nothing, hoping Tristen would ask her to hang out.

”Tristen come on! We have a party to go to.” Sophie called from the car.

“I gotta split. See ya.” Tristen said and turned to leave.

“Oh and by the way…” he started and turned back around.

“You look beautiful Maybel.” he smiled.

Oh no, I know that look! He likes Maybel, Mason thought.