Angel's Child

Chapter 10

Izzy…

Was happy.

She’d been like that for the last few weeks, and the only one not concerned by the change was E.

Angie seemed to be getting better too, though she continuously snuck off.

Ari was concerned or her older sister, and decided she’d follow her out tonight…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is time to set my plan into motion, Karai.”

“Yes, master.”

Keishi bit back a plea…

“Master, are you sure these Foot Ninja will be enough? I’m sure she could handle them easily.”

“They will only be back-up…”

The far door opened, and the boy’s heart dropped when the Mystics were led in…

“Ah, so you finally found them all…”

The man of metal signaled for them to depart, and Keishi shivered at the last sentence he heard before the door slammed shut…

“What do you know about mermaids?”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angela skidded to a halt on the designated rooftop, chest heaving…

‘I’ll need to take a dip soon…’

She was still eager to meet with Keishi, though.

She had never admitted it, but she had gotten quite a crush on him during the last month.

Angela perked, hearing something rustle in the shadows…

“…Ari?”

She knew that shape, that noise, better than she knew her own katana.

“Yeah, Angie?”

The little turtle stepped carefully out of the darkness.

“What are you doing out here? You know better than to go topside without telling anyone.”

“But you didn’t tell anyone…”

“Izzy knows where I am.” The sky-banded turtle replied.

“I guess I’ll just have to take you back myself once I’m done here.”

“What are you doing here, though?”

“…I’m meeting someone.”

She looked up when she sensed someone, and smiled.

“Keishi!”

It fell from her face when she saw the detached look on his face…

“Keishi?”

Ari gripped her hand, pulling her back a bit and nearly whimpering.

“ANGIE…”

Angela was about to ask what her sister was trying to do when they were surrounded by dark shadows…

‘Ninja…’

The pieces clicked into place as she saw the emblem on Keishi’s arm…

“You set me up…” She growled, feeling hurt and betrayed.

“You don’t understand-.”

“Really? Than what’s with the ambush?!”

His eyes seemed sad, but her anger clouded her sight.

“Don’t get mad at me, Angie…”

“Don’t even START with that bullshit!! I’m not mad!! I’m PISSED!!”

Her eyes burned with tears, and she fought them back valiantly.

She hadn’t cried since she was a child…

“Oh, Angie…”

He must have realized what was making her eyes shimmer, and he reached out to touch her cheek as a tear slipped free.

The slight brush of his fingers seemed to bring her anger back to life, and she closed her eyes…

SLAP!!!

The sound rang in her ears, and she stepped back, seeing the stunned look on his face…

A moment of weakness, of wanting to comfort him, but she pushed it back with her hurt and grabbed Ari’s hand tighter.

The other ninja leapt in, pouncing, and water came up in tentacles to chuck them away.

Unfortunately, this meant she had to release her sister’s hand…

“ANGIE!”

She whipped around, eyes widening…

“Let her GO!” The sky-masked turtle demanded, seeing the ninja holding her sister off her little feet by her arm.

“If you insist…”

He held her over the edge, and the last thing Angie saw was her sister’s terrified brown eyes…

“ARI!!!”

Without thinking, she dove over the ledge herself, free-falling after her sister…

“ANGIE, NO!!!!”

As one arm wrapped securely around Ari’s waist, Angie spun around in midair, pulling a grappling gun from her belt and firing it.

It stuck in the concrete ledge, and the rope jerked, bringing both turtles back up.

Flipping, Angie then kicked the ninja in the face as the hook snapped back into place…

“I love this thing…” She admitted, putting it back on her belt.

The ninja tried closing in on them, and she adjusted a terrified Ari on her shell.

“Hold on, sis…” She whispered, katana sliding free of their sheathes…

“This’ll be a bumpy ride…”

Jumping in, she blocked naginata and Bo staffs and sai, flipping through the air in order to land on a stairwell.

“Later…”

Jumping into the blackness seemed to be a cool escape route, and the fire escape sure helped…

Sliding through the manhole, she splashed into the sewers and ran a silent block away before stopping.

“Ari, are you okay? Did they hurt you?”

“I-I’m okay, Angie…”

Ari sniffled, rubbing at her eyes as her sister cuddled her to her plastron.

“I’m so sorry, Ari…”

“I-It wasn’t y-your fault…”

“…I’ll never let anyone try to hurt you ever again…I promise.”

Ari looked up at her sister’s face, seeing the determination and stubbornness…

And the hurt and betrayal and sadness hidden beneath.

“I know, Angie…” She mumbled, nuzzling her head under the jade-skinned turtle’s chin.

“I know…”