Angel's Child

Chapter 12

Angela stared up at the sky, barely making out the stars…

The moon was waning, but she still felt its light give her strength…

Her knees were pressed against her plastron, and she had her arms wrapped around her bent legs as she rested her chin on the joints…

She just wanted to be alone right then…

Alone with her thoughts and the sadness and the betrayal…

Crimson eyes narrowed as she sensed something…

‘Guess I’ll never be alone…’

Water came up to protect her shell from a katana, and she whirled around on her hands to kick the ninja in the face before flipping back.

More ninja poured from the shadows, and she smirked a bit as she slid her katana free from their sheathes…

“Oh, this’ll be fun…”

Jumping in, she slashed and blocked and dodged…

Dancing around her opponents as water came up to stop some of their strikes…

As the numbers dwindled, she got the distinct feeling that this was a trap…

Like they were…

‘Trying to wear me out…’

Her eyes widened, and she jumped back and away.

“That’s not going to work on me!” She taunted, and her eyes darted to the side.

There were four strange beings there, chanting some kind of spell…

‘That can’t be good…’

A ball of light headed for her, but she managed to bring up a wall of water to stop it, though the force caused her to skid back.

“Kami-! What the hell?!” She demanded, obviously still harboring some anger.

The ninja swarmed again, and it was getting difficult to avoid their weapons and the strange blasts of magic.

Pressing a button on her Shell Cell, she put it on speaker as she called Izzy.



“Yo?”

“Izzy, a little back-up might be nice!”

“Where are ya?”

She could already hear her cousin getting ready…

“Water tower! Now move your shell!”

“On my way!”

Angela jumped back, but a naginata still skewered her phone.

“HEY! Do you know what my uncle’s going to DO to me when he finds out it broke?!”

She kicked him under the chin, and spun around to see the blast already too close.

“Oh shit-!”

It struck her plastron hard, and the gold light spread across her like electricity…

With a short cry of surprise, she fell back on her shell, panting.

‘Wait…that didn’t really hurt…’

Sitting up, she realized what it had done…

“Oh…shit…”

It had made her mermaid tail appear.

“OH, you assholes are SO going down once I get my damn legs back…” She threatened, and tried concentrating.

It wasn’t working…

“…You guys are SO dead…”

She was about to pull water towards her when that horrible HEAT built up under her skin…

‘Not again…’

She choked as the air dried her throat, causing it to swell closed…

As her vision swam and her mind darkened…

Her scales lost their shining color, and she lay limp on the rooftop…

“Not so tough now, are you?”

She managed to glare up at the four strange beings, but she couldn’t hold on…

‘Tui…La…’

Her eyes fluttered closed as a strange glow came over her skin…

‘Help me…’