Status: on hiatus

Beatlemania!

Boy, Put Your Records On

The White Album was in full swing by May, and Paul was in a great mood because Lady Madonna had done well with the charts.

John’s hair was ridiculously long nowadays, and I told him so rather boldly one day.

“Well, Miss Westwood! Stepping into the bossy boots, I see,” he teased me.

I kept my cool. “I’m serious, John. You look like an idiot. I hate it.”

“Well Yoko happens to like it, as do I so I’m afraid you’ve been over-ruled, sweetheart,” John was grinning at my expression.

It was unnerving because the rest of the band (sans Paul) followed the long haired example, and pretty soon three out of the four Beatles looked like long-haired freaks.

“Oh come on, John,” I begged with a pouty face.

“That only works on Paulie, love. Now be a doll and get me a cup of tea, will you?” he yawned, fiddling with the strings on his guitar.

“Oh fetch your own tea,” I snapped irritably.

I was losing my hold on the band, and quickly, too.
~

Paul and John were invited to be guests on the Johnny Carson show in New York to talk about Apple, and Paul suggested I come with them.

“Come on, Alice, you love New York,” Paul coaxed, as we sat outside in his pathetic garden drinking tea.

I smiled. “John won’t want me there.”

“John fuckin’ loves you, and you know it. Come on, love. I would love to go away with you for a couple of days,” he continued, handing me a biscuit.

“I want to go. You know I do. When do we leave?” I asked.

“One week.”
~

I hadn’t seen Lucy since we went to New York together, so I surprised her with a visit the next day. She was fully pregnant now, a good five months. Pregnancy suited her; she looked beautiful.

“Alice! I have been reading about you!” she waved up some celebrity gossip magazine. “You and Paul are living together, I hear!”

“Forget me! What about you? You’re huge!” I squealed.

“Just what every pregnant woman wants to hear,” Lucy chuckled.

I giggled along with her. “How’s Geoff? Oh is it terrible being pregnant? Is it a boy or a girl? On gosh I’m so jealous of you!”

“It’s wonderful being pregnant, it’s a girl and I’m so glad you’re jealous of me!” Lucy checked things off with her fingers as she went down the list.

“It’s girl!” I squealed.

“I know!” she cried.

We spent the entire day catching up and making scones when we got hungry. Geoff was home at six and he made a loud whooping noise when he saw me.

“Oh my gosh! It’s Alice Westwood!” he cried girlishly.

Lucy smacked him. “Come on, Geoff. We’ve made scones.”

“Lots of scones and no dinner...” Geoff noted. “I like it!”

I laughed and set the table for Lucy, despite her attempts to stop me. Geoff was somehow more thrilled about the baby than Lucy herself.

“I’m so glad it’s a girl,” he gushed. “I’ve always wanted a little girl.”

I smiled. “Well, that was unexpected.”

“What, you think just because I’m a bloke I want a son?” Geoff challenged.

I chortled. “I’m just saying...that’s usually the case.”

“It’s perfectly normal. I’ve always had this image of me and a wife and a baby girl. Of course, in my head my wife was Twiggy...” Lucy slapped Geoff on the arm. “Only joking, love.”

“Oh you’re definitely going to be one of those overprotective dads,” I declared.

“Do you want kids?” Lucy asked me curiously.

I nodded eagerly. “Abosolutely.”

“Do you want a daughter or a son?” Geoff pressed.

I smiled dreamily. “One of each, possibly two boys and a girl.”

“Oh, you and Paul would have beautiful children,” Lucy cooed.

I blushed. “Don’t even go there. I’ve only been with Paul for five months.”

“If you include those three months last year, it’s eight,” Lucy reminded me.

“But I don’t count those,” I pointed out.

She frowned. “Why not? It was all a big misunderstanding in the end, and you’re in love and even living together now.”

“Oh, Lucy I would love to marry Paul and grow old with him, but I don’t want to drive him away by scaring him with these sort of ideas,” I explained.

“Thank you!” Geoff called. “As a bloke, I really appreciate that.”

I grinned. “I thought you might.
~

I was in work about two minutes before Paul called.

“I’ve been gone ten minutes, Paul,” I chuckled into the phone.

“Yes, but you snuck out of the house so quietly not even Martha caught a glimpse of you. So I have to make sure over the phone that you are free tonight,” Paul clarified.

I laughed. “I am, actually. What’s the occasion.”

“You don’t know?” Paul gasped.

“Give a poor girl a break,” I begged.

“It’s our nine month anniversary!” he exclaimed.

I furrowed my brow. “Nine months? I thought it was six.”

“Don’t you count those three months from last year?” Paul asked innocently.

I pressed my lips together, trying to suppress my laughter. “I guess I should have. What did you have in mind?”

“Dinner. At home.”

I snorted. “You’re cooking?”

Paul laughed cheerily. “Yes I am.”

“Well I can’t wait for that,” I teased.

I heard him cough to cover up a laugh. “You might be surprised my love. See you tonight.”

“Love you,” I called out dreamily.
~

The table was set adorably well, with candles and roses. Poor Martha was kicked out of the dining room and was stuck in the garage with a rather large bone to keep her preoccupied.

Paul dressed in a very Beatle-like suit and his hair was just long enough to make me want to kiss him over and over again.

I tried to dress nice too, with a very clingy violet dress and my hair piled into an elegent bun.

“Paul!” I gasped. “This is wonderful! You’re wonderful.”

He grinned at me. “You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.”

I blushed and went to kiss him. He pulled me up closer to his chest and I felt him step the kiss up a notch. I pulled away like lightning.

“I think we’d better stop, or we’ll never even get to dinner,” I whispered.

Paul kissed my neck persuasively. “Maybe we shouldn’t bother.”

“Come on, Paul. Let’s eat,” I pulled him over to the dining table and sat down eagerly.

Paul produced napkins and a plate of roast chicken and roast potatoes. I clapped my hands in appreciation. “You made all this on your own?”

“Well...with some help from a good old fashioned cookbook,” he admitted.

“Did you wear an apron?” I teased.

“A lacy pink one.”

I giggled. “Now that I have to see.”

I ate heartily, but it was hard to concentrate with somebody like Paul across from me. He made jokes and I laughed heartily, and we both stared adoringly at each other.

We skipped dessert and went right to the kissing. I let Paul pull me over to the bedroom. It was a great anniversary.
~
“I love you, you know that?” Paul murmured into my hair as we lay in bed, just about to fall asleep.

“I love you more,” I sighed, laying my head on Paul’s chest.

He looked at me seriously. “If you were to get married, would you want kids?”

I smiled. “Of course.”

“So marriage is something to keep in mind?” Paul continued hopefully.

“Sure, someday.” I closed my eyes tiredly.
~
Paul closed his eyes contentedly. Everything was great, and if it were up to him, he would stay like this forever
♠ ♠ ♠
Surprise! A new chapter!