Status: on hiatus

Beatlemania!

Wedding Bells

“You’ve got to do it, mate. It’s been weeks since Greece,” George’s voice was leaking out of the door.

“I know, I just don’t know when!” Paul groaned.

I pressed my ear up against the door to the apartment that Paul and I lived in. I could barely make out what they were saying, but it was important!

“Maybe there isn’t a right time, you know? Just do it; I think she’ll like it...” Ringo piped up.

With that, I turned the key in the lock and opened the door.

“Who’ll like it?” I asked curiously.

“Wha-what?” Paul gulped worriedly.

I smiled. “You lot talk a lot louder than you think. That door could be made out of steel and I would still be able to hear you.”

George blushed. “Well, this is slightly awkward.”

I laughed. “Are you clowns staying for dinner?”

“Nah, the babies and Mo are waitin’ at home,” Ritchie declined.

“I’ll stay; Pattie’s off modelling somewhere,” George sighed.

“Great,” I grinned.

I started pulling out the ingredients for chicken stew, and Paul shifted uncomfortably in his chair.

“Would you two like me to leave so you can finish whatever you were talking about?” I asked only half jokingly.

George cleared his throat. “No, no. Nothing important really.”

Paul, on the other hand, looked terrified. “Actually, I think I’ll take Georgie out for a walk.”

“Half an hour tops!” I called out as Paul dragged George out the door.
~
I went shopping with Pattie and Maureen the next day. Mo was upset since the clothes that she had adored pre-motherhood were not an option for her anymore.

“It’s not fair,” she pouted as Pattie lined up at the register for the sixth time that day.

I sighed. I hadn’t bought much, either. “You’ll lose the weight.”

Mo snorted. “Like hell. I love food.”

I laughed at that. “Just eat less. And maybe take a walk once a day. Get the blood moving.”

Maureen opened her mouth to reply, but Pattie hurried over to us. She suddenly glanced at her arms, full of shopping bags, and our empty hands.

“Where do you want to go, you two?” she asked quickly. “I feel like I’m the only one doing any shopping here.”

“That’s because you are,” I teased her.

Pattie blushed. “Well that’s because you two refuse to try anything on.”

“I know it’s going to look terrible,” Maureen moped.

“There’s the optimism I was looking for,” Pattie joked.

I smiled. “So how many things have you bought, Pattie?”

She shrugged. “Enough for all three of us to share!”

Mo glanced at her watch. “I have to head home soon, I’ve left Ritchie with Zak and Jason.”

Pattie laughed. “I’m sure he’s fine.”

I, on the other hand, was laughing at he image of “Nanny Ringo.”

“Well, we’d best make Mary Quant the last shop anyhow,” Mo said with finality.

“Yes, Mummy,” Pattie grinned.
~
We arrived at Maureen’s house for a quick cup of tea just as Ringo was about to wake up the kiddies.

“You mean they slept the entire time?!” Mo asked incredulously.

Ringo was beaming with pride. “That’s what I’m tryin’ to tell you. Jason’s always out like a light, but Zak? That little monkey’s got tireless amounts of energy.”

As he spoke, Zak’s bedroom door squeaked open, and the toddler ran screaming into the room.

I laughed. “I think I’ll let you lot calm him down. I’d better get home and cook something for dinner.”

“All right, Alice. We’ll see you soon,” Pattie and then Maureen gave me a hug and then I was off.
~
There was a message waiting for me on my answering machine when I walked into the flat.

Beep. “Alice! It’s Susan, here. We-do you think you could call us back? Soon! Hurry!”

Susan and my dad were on holiday in France for a couple of weeks, and they had given me a number to call if I needed to reach them

I used it.

“Hello?” Susan’s excited voice rang out.

“Susan? It’s Alice,” I announced.

Susan squealed. “Oh, Alice! Your father and I have news!”

“Tell me, before you explode of excitement,” I teased.

“We’re getting married! In France! In three days!” She exclaimed.

I was rather speechless. My dad and Susan? I knew they were in love, but I had not been expecting this so soon!

“That’s wonderful Susan!” I managed to bring up my best enthusiasm.

“So when can you be in Paris?” she asked.

I froze. “Well...”

“You have to come, your dad would probably cry if you weren’t there,” Susan said convincingly.

I smiled decidedly. “I’ll talk to Paul. We’ll be there as soon as we can.”
~

Paul and I managed to book a flight to Paris for the very next day, which meant hasty packing, a messy apartment, and an anxious Alice.

I didn’t have anything nice enough for a regular wedding, never mind my own dad’s. I was running around in a frantic, and Paul was just laughing at me.

“You’re useless!” I threw an old dress at him.

Paul laughed. “What am I supposed to do? I don’t even know what dress size you are.”

I made a face at him.

Pattie saved the day by rushing over with dresses galore for me to choose from. She had brought at least one of every style, length and colour that she thought I would look good in.

I ended up choosing three to bring with me; just in case. The first was a shorter white, utterly innocent dress that would match anything. Another was a knee-length sea green dress that was a bit more conservative, but still pretty. The last one was one of my own dresses: a deep blue floor length dress with no back that drove Paul crazy.

I couldn’t even start on shoes, so I packed them all and declared I was ready.

“You didn’t even pack any pyjamas!” Pattie shook her head.

“That’s okay,” Paul piped up. “I can deal with that.”
~
Dad met Paul and I at the airport, wearing a new tux and a big grin on his face.

“Well Dad, I never thought you could be so spontaneous,” I teased him as he helped with my luggage.

He smiled mysteriously. “There are a lot of things you don’t know about me, young lady.”

“When’s the ceremony?” Paul asked as soon as we got settled into the car and Dad started driving.

“Tomorrow,” he said. “We haven’t got much time; I’ve just come from the tailors for a fitting; didn’t have time to change.”

“What are the other bridesmaids wearing, Dad?” I asked eagerly, mentally going through everything I had packed.

Dad shrugged. “You’ll have to talk to Susan about all that.”
~
The bridesmaids were wearing cool colours: lavender, baby blue etc. I decided to wear the sea green dress to complete the colour scheme.

They had discovered the prettiest little church in the countryside and I fell in love with it instantly.

There wasn’t much preparation; Susan was wearing a simple white dress with a small bouquet. The bridesmaids weren’t given any flowers to hold; just a sprig of jasmines to wear in our hair.

The ceremony was beautiful nonetheless, and I was glad Susan was now officially part of the family. Not many of her family members could make it, but only Aunt Lily and Uncle Daniel had made it on Dad’s side. Everyone else sent their well-wishes and congratulations.

After the ceremony, everyone milled outside of the church in the French countryside. Paul, who had brought his guitar, sang “Michelle” to everyone’s delight, and was happy to take requests.

“Who says we didn’t hire a musician?” Susan whispered to me.

I laughed. “Yeah, you’ve got the best!”

My thoughts lingered a little bit on my mother, who was probably looking down at us and sighing. She was a hopeless romantic, my mum, and she would have approved of the spontaneous wedding.

I must have been daydreaming for a while because after a while Paul came and sat with me.

“Thinking about your Mum?” he asked gently.

I smiled sadly. “Is that wrong?”

“I did the same thing when me dad got remarried, love. It’s nothing out of the ordinary,” Paul assured me.

“I love you, Paul,” I whispered softly.

Paul pulled me to him and kissed me.

“It’s awfully romantic here, isn’t it?” I sighed.

Paul gulped, and reached for the ring in his pocket.
~

“NOW,” His subconscious was yelling at him.

Paul was tired of waiting, wishing for the perfect moment. It was now or never.

He opened his mouth to speak.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ohhh was I cruel enough this chapter? First off, the wedding bells weren't even for Alice - they were for her dad! Then I cut Paulie off at his big moment?

Well folks, I tried to get this one out as soon as possible; I feel so bad for making you guys wait for such a long time for the last one.

I would love to get married in France...