Status: on hiatus

Beatlemania!

Just Say Yes

“Alice,” Paul said rather loudly.

I turned around sharply to look at him. “Yes?”

“Marry me,” he implored.

I studied his face for a moment and winced. “You idiot; I thought you’d never ask me.”

He gaped at me. “So...you’re saying yes?”

“Yes! Of course I say yes!” I laughed, pulling him in for a hug.

Paul was shaking with relief as he kissed my lips gently.

“Oh shit, I had the ring and everything and I didn’t even kneel on the ground,” he frowned.

I kissed him again. “I love you,” I whispered.

He sighed gently, pressing his lips against my hair. “Thank goodness for that.”
~

We kept our engagement quiet for the rest of the wedding, although it was very hard. We just didn’t want the news to overshadow the current wedding. I was happy keeping it to just ourselves for a while, anyhow.

Paul insisted we spend a couple more days in France, and so we did. It was a wonderful pre-engagement holiday and we came back to England very happy indeed.

I wanted to keep the engagement between us for a bit; I liked having a secret and it brought us closer. However, Paul was eager for everyone to know, so the next day at the studio I walked in blushing with the ring on my left hand.

The boys didn’t miss it for a second. Everyone leaped up and hugged us, the lads clapping Paul on the back and saying things like, “You finally found yer balls,” and “About fuckin’ time, mate.”

I laughed at all of them and gave them all warm embraces lovingly.

John insisted we have a party to celebrate, and Paul immediately offered up his place on Cavendish Avenue. It was a tame affair; they knew I didn’t care for the big, drunken, smoky bashes that were common for the Beatles.

Paul drove me down to Liverpool on Saturday to announce it to his dad and brother. We had dinner at home and Paul casually mentioned it to them.

Jim McCartney smiled knowingly and stood up to hug me. “I knew you’d be part o’ the family soon enough, Alice. I’m glad it was sooner rather than later.”

“Me too,” I grinned, glad of his approval.

Paul’s hazel eyes lingered on Mike, however. From the start, I knew Mike was the one to impress. He loved Paul immensely, and cared about him more than I, an only child, could imagine.

I was thrilled when his brown eyes were lit up and excited when he heard. He approached me and grinned. “If it was anybody else I think I’d be very upset,” said Mike.

I sighed in relief and have him a hug happily. “I’m glad you approve!”

Mike gave his brother a brotherly hug and nodded. “She’s got you whipped!”

Paul ruffled his hair. “Yeah, well. What can I say? I didn’t have a chance, mate.”

I blushed at that. “Paul!”

He shrugged with a laugh. “You know it’s true, love.”
~

It seemed almost too easy with Paul’s family, and I already knew my dad would be thrilled, so I waited a few weeks after Susan and dad got back from France to tell them.

We invited them over for dinner for once. I roasted a chicken and Paul roasted potatoes.

After dessert we announced that we were engaged and my dad applauded us happily.

“Thank goodness! I was beginning to get worried, you two!” he exclaimed.

We laughed at the old joke. Susan congratulated us too, and then Paul and Dad got up to step outside for a smoke and a glass of brandy.

Susan and I gamely agreed to stay inside and sip the remains of our dessert wine.

“I think I’ll just set the dishes to soak,” I told her, collecting the plates and sticking them in the sink.

“Alice I have to talk to you about something,” Susan started off nervously.

I was alarmed. “Is everything okay? Dad? You?”

“Everything’s fine with us, Alice. It’s you I want to talk about,” she assured me.

Puzzled, I nodded. “Oh! All right. What is it?”

“It’s...well to be frank it’s about Paul.”

I furrowed my brow. “About Paul? What about Paul?”

Susan fidgeted nervously. “I just...it’s about his lifestyle, I suppose. I do hope you know what you’re getting into with all of that.”

I laughed. “I’ve known Paul for quite some time, Susan. I know exactly who I’m marrying.”

“And you’re willing to overlook his faults?” she asked incredulously.

“Exactly what faults would you be referring to?” My voice came out cold and flat.

“The drugs, alcohol, the sex and the girls,” Susan listed.

“I’m aware of how he lives.”

She was exasperated now. “How could you live in such a world? How could you bring children into that world? How could you live with an unfaithful husband?”

I was now defensive and worried at the same time. “I think those are my business. I don’t appreciate you attacking my decisions just weeks after I make them.”

“This is a life-altering decision, Alice. I just want to make sure you’ve thought it through entirely.”

“I know what I’m doing. Paul doesn’t do anything stupid and is not addicted to anything.” I didn’t touch the “unfaithful” subject.

“Alice, he’s not good for you,” she pleaded with me.

“Susan! Stop it! He is the man I’m in love with and the man I’m going to marry. I think perhaps you and Dad should leave now,” I snapped angrily.

They did leave. I hugged dad and told him I’d see him later but I utterly ignored Susan.
~

“Paul,” I whispered as we were getting ready for bed.

He turned to look at me. “What is it, love?”

“Have you... been with other girls?” the words tasted sour on my tongue.

Paul looked appalled and he took me into his arms.

“I haven’t been with anybody but you since India,” he promised me.

I wiped my tears. “It’s...okay if you have. I just need to know.”

“I swear to you on my mother’s grave,” Paul murmured, “what’s brought this on?”

I sighed. “Just something Susan said to me tonight.”

“Oh yeah? What exactly did she say to you?” he asked.

I winced. “She wanted me to know that she thought marrying you was a mistake.”

Paul’s eyes were deep and full of sadness.

“And you’ve gotten cold feet,” he predicted.

“I just need to know the truth,” I corrected. “I love you.”

He kissed me. “And I love you. I don't want anybody the way I want you.”

I nodded. “We’re getting married.”

Paul smiled and kissed me again. “We had better be!”
~

The White Album was released at the end of November. It had about thirty songs on it and was a whopping big thing.

I had tried in vain to convince them to cut out some of the silly ones. I detested “Revolution 9” and I didn’t see the point in “Long, Long, Long,” or “Wild Honey Pie,” which wasn’t even a minute long and only used two words.

On the other hand, there were some real treasures on the album. I loved “Back in the U.S.S.R,” “Dear Prudence,” “While My Guitar Gently Weeps,” and most of the other songs present on the album.

The gems of the album far outshined the duds, and the album was received well with the public. It also managed to cast a shadow over John’s controversial Two Virgins shit, and critics finally let go of the worst and started praising the White Album.

December arrived and I still wasn’t speaking to Susan. Dad knew we were having issues but left me alone and tried to convince Susan that my decisions were my decisions, and she should really just leave me be. I despised how she was trying to act like my mother.

That only made me sad again. I looked up at the cloudy English sky and a line from John’s “I am the Walrus” about getting a tan in the English rain popped into my head I laughed.

“Wish you were here, Mum,” I whispered one day after coming home from work. “You would have loved Paul.”

Or would she have? Paul’s mysterious, dodgy past as a musician would have been hard for her to accept at first, but Paul’s good-natured personality and charm would have worn her down. She was always a good judge of character.

As for John, the two of us remained close as the Christmas season approached. We often had lunch, as the Beatles were taking a break from recording for a while.

“Do you believe in heaven?” John asked abruptly one day.

I shrugged. “I’d like to, yeah. I’d love to think that my mum’s watching over me.”

“But do you?” he pressed.

I smiled. “Sure. I talk to her sometimes.”

“I don’t believe it,” he continued. “Sure, it’d be lovely and all, but it’s not true.”

“Oh John,” I patted his hand. “Your mother’s laughing at you as we speak.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Heeeeeeere we go!
A very belated birthday to George; although he didn't have a major role in this one :(
But Paul and Alice are finally engaged! Yes!

Tried to keep the wait a bit shorter this time! :)

PS thanks to Peace Dreamer, who comments faithfully and is just an awesome person. As Paul would say, "Ta, love!"
Love you all - keep reading/commenting! <3