What A Beautiful Day

Day 67

I sat up slowly and looked around, blinking my eyes. I slowly got off of my couch and made my way to the door, where someone was knocking. I looked through the peephole before opening the door.

"Kris," my voice came out raspy and quiet. "What are you doing here? I told you I couldn't go out tonight, I'm sick."

"I know," Kris smiled, taking a step into the apartment. "I wanted to stop by and see if you needed anything. I brought some chicken noodle soup."

"How sweet," I grinned before starting to cough. "Sorry."

"It's fine, Raleigh," Kris said. He lead me to the couch where I had been napping moments earlier. He handed me a Styrofoam bowl filled with soup, followed by a spoon.

"Thank-you, Kris," I said, after taking a bite. "This is just what I needed."

We sat there in silence as I ate the soup that Kris had brought.

"You shouldn't be here," I muttered, after finishing the soup.

"What?" Kris looked at me, bewildered. "Why not?"

"I'm really sick, Kris," I said. "What if you catch what I have? You'll be out of hockey for a week, at least. I don't want to be responsible for keeping you from playing hockey."

"I'm not too worried about it," Kris told me. "If I was, I wouldn't be here. Yet, here I am. If I get sick, I get sick. It won't be your fault. You didn't ask me to come, I wanted to."

"But Kris-"

"No," Kris shook his head. "This isn't up for discussion. It was my decision, which will make it my fault if I get sick."

"Ok," I nodded. "Do you want anything? Coffee, tea, pop?"

"I'm fine, Ral," Kris said, sending me a smile. "Let's watch a movie."

"Sounds good," I croaked. "Pick one and put it in. I'll be right back."

I got up and made my way to the kitchen to take my medication. When I came back to the living room, Kris had a movie in and was fast forwarding through the previews.

Twenty minutes into the movie, I felt myself drifting off and before long I was fast asleep.

I woke up when the end credits where rolling. I looked up to find Kris sitting there watching me. "You're still here," I said.

"Of course I am," Kris replied.

"Kris," I said, causing him to look me in the eyes. "Thank-you for everything. You're a great person."

"It's no problem, really," Kris said. "I'd do it again if I had too."

"I love you, Kris," I whispered.

Kris looked at me, checking to see if I meant what I said. "I love you, too, Raleigh," he whispered back before kissing me softly on the lips.