What A Beautiful Day

Day 189

"For the love of God," I muttered as I walked into the living room.

"What's that?" Kris asked. His focus and attention were on the video game he was playing.

"Kris, this place is a disaster," I said, picking up a few items of clothing off the couch and putting them on the ground beside it.

"You're not making it any better," Kris countered, not taking his attention from the TV.

"Why should I?" I asked, looking at him. "It's not my house."

"You stay over enough that it could be," Kris said. "Plus, it doesn't both me, so why should it bother you?"

"The last thing I enjoy is coming over and having to walk all over your wardrobe just to sit on the couch," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"Then clean it up," Kris shrugged.

"What do I look like?" I asked. "Your fucking maid? I don't think so. Clean it up yourself and call me once you've finished." I got up from the couch and started heading for the door.

"Wait, Ral," I heard Kris say from behind me.

"What?" I snapped.

"Why are you leaving?" he asked. "You just got here."

"I told you this place is a disaster," I replied. "Give me a call once it's cleaned up. If you can stop playing video games long enough to clean this place."

"Well, excuse me for wanting to have a little down time when I come home from hockey," Kris rebutted.

"You didn't even have practice today!" I nearly screamed. "You have been sitting there all morning. I bet you stayed there all day, while I was in school, too."

"What is your point?" Kris asked, standing up and making his way over to me.

"My point?" I looked at him, sure there was fire in my eyes. "My point is that you have done nothing all day long and your entire house looks and smells like a flipping pigpen!"

"I'm so sorry that my humble abode isn't up to your cleaning standards," Kris said, sarcasm dripping from every word. "I'm sorry that I have a career that keeps me busy twenty-nine days of the month, leaving me no time to clean. And I'm sorry that, on my off days, I would rather sit around and relax rather than clean a house. I'm extremely sorry, Princess."

"Fuck you," I muttered, turning to the door and turning the knob.

"Where are you going?" Kris asked.

"I'm done listening to you talk about how you're so superior because you play hockey," I said. "And how because of that, you are unable to clean your own house. Goodbye."

"I swear to God, Raleigh, you walk out that door and we are over," Kris threatened.

I looked at him, making sure he was serious, and then walked out the door, slamming it behind me.

I got in my car and drove away. I didn't know where I was going, but I knew that once I got there I would start crying.

Several minutes later, I pulled my car in front of a nice looking house. I sat there for a few minutes, tears welling in my eyes. When they started pouring down my cheeks, I wiped them away furiously.

I got out of the car, tears still falling, and made my way to the door. I knocked twice and stood there, pitying myself.

The door swung open, revealing a woman.

"Oh my!" She gasped. "Raleigh! What happened?"

I explained everything that happened at Kris' and was immediately wrapped into a hug.

"Raleigh," she said. "You are more than welcome to stay here, if you don't want to go home."

"Thanks, Vero," I replied, giving her the best smile I could conjure up.