What A Beautiful Day

Day 18,745

"Happy Anniversary, Mom," Jacques said, as he walked into the house with his wife, Kaitlyn. He gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek, before Kaitlyn gave me a hug.

The couple was followed by their son, Thomas, and his girlfriend, Heather, as well as their daughter, Jessica, and her fiance, Brandon.

"Happy Anniversary, Grams," Thomas said, giving me a hug and kiss on the cheek as well. Jessica followed suit.

"Thank-you, Jack," I smiled. "And thank-you Tom and Jess."

Kris sat down beside me and kissed my temple.

"Will you tell us the story of how you and Gramps got together?" Thomas asked.

"You've already heard it like fifty times," I chuckled.

"Please?" Jessica asked, leaning against Brandon. "I love hearing that story."

"Ok," I nodded. I glanced at Kris, who was beaming. "You all know that fifty years ago we got married."

"We know, Grams," Jessica nodded. "We want to hear the story of how you met."

"I was getting there," I said, shaking my head at her impatiences. "I was in my last year at the University of Pittsburgh and walked home after class. I always walked down 5th Avenue.

"One day, as I was walking home, I crashed into your grandfather and fell down. He helped me up and apologized, before saying hello and asking me out.

"After that, the rest is history. We had our ups and downs all along the way. I had a chance to leave, but chose to stay."

Kris squeezed me shoulder and kissed my temple again. "Every day of my life, I thank God I said hello on 5th Avenue."