Ultimatum

Chapter 9

Daniela sat awake, shrouded in the darkness of the tent she shared with Hugo. She had feigned sleep in order for Hugo to be able to fall asleep so she could be left alone with her racing thoughts.

She had never been to Zurich, never mind a military base full of Americans.

How would they treat her? A daughter of a deceased SS captain, and an obvious threat to everyone's safety if Landa were to find out her whereabouts.

No one would trust her there. They would probably think her a spy, a double agent of some sort.

She stared through the gap in the tent door at the burning fire. Someone was still up, but she didn't dare look to see who it was in case it was Aldo taking his watch this late at night.

Daniela looked down and saw Hugo sleeping with a thin pillow under his head and an even thinner blanket over his body.

She didn't want to leave Hugo. She didn't want to part ways with the only person she could trust.

With her parents gone and her brother following in the footsteps of Hans Landa, Hugo was the only person she had that was close to being family.

Her tears had become too heavy and began, one by one, making their way down her pale cheeks.

She sniffed, wiping her nose with her sleeve and delicately brushing the tears away with her fingers.

Daniela wished that her mother was here, she would like nothing more than to be held by the strong secure embrace of her mother's arms. She could envision her mother stroking her hair as she hummed to her soothingly, telling her everything was going to be okay.

The tears came faster now, and the impulse to give into her emotions scratched at the back of her throat.

She saw Hugo turning over and his light eyes looked up at her, worry clear in his expression.

"Daniela," he spoke softly, sitting up. "What's wrong?"

"I don't vant to leave you."

Hugo took the blanket that covered his legs and wrapped it around Daniela. He scooted closer to her and scooped her up, holding her close to his warm chest.

Daniela instinctively wrapped her one arm around his neck while the other gripped his shoulder, and pressed her cheek against his chest.

Hugo rested his head against hers as he rocked her. Daniela's sobs began to recede with every movement and soon she was quiet.

Daniela felt the hot airy pressure of Hugo's mouth when he kissed her forehead and she felt better for the moment.

"Vhat should I do?" she asked him, her muscles relaxing for the first time that day. There was something about Hugo's gentle touch that excited her but made her feel at ease for the first time since her parents were killed.

"For your safety I zink it vould be best if you stayed behind at zhe base," Hugo replied, always keeping his voice quiet.

Daniela mashed her lips between her teeth. Of course he would give her this type of answer. To keep her safe was to leave her behind not bring her along into battle and hunting Nazis.

It was logical and she always knew Hugo to be a rational person compared to her brother who was sickeningly impulsive.

"I don't want to be left with people I don't know, Hugo," Daniela said, "I know you, I'm safe with you."

Warm air from Hugo's nose tickled Daniela's nose when he laughed in a unteasing manner.

"What should I do to prove to Aldo I'm not the burden he thinks I am?" she asked, desperate to hear Hugo's answer.

Hugo shrugged. "Aldo is very definitive in his decisions; it's going to take a lot to persuade him."

___

"I'll do anything," Daniela said. Hugo watched as she tucked a piece of blond hair behind her ear and then began turning her mother's wedding band around her slender finger.

"I'll learn to fight. My brother showed me the basics of fighting with a knife and my father taught me how to shoot a pistol.

"Please, Hugo, help me. I want to do something that proves my parents didn't die in vain."

Hugo was astonished at Daniela's reason for wanting to say with them. She was willing to learn how to defend herself--fight a war--in order to honor her parents in death.

He placed Daniela back on the ground and stared into her pale blue eyes, the same eyes she shared with her brother, his old friend.

"What do you think?" she asked when Hugo didn't say anything.

"Woman are not meant to fight wars, Daniela. It's bloody, it's evil and, I admit it's frightening," Hugo said, "I wouldn't wish my worst enemy into this life of mine, of the rest of the men sleeping outside."

Daniela held her hands up, palms facing Hugo. He stopped talking and closed his mouth.

"Hugo, please do not try to dissuade me. I have made up my mind."

"Fine," Hugo said, "We are to stay a week in Zurich and from the time we get there to the day we leave I will teach you everything I know."

"Danke, Hugo," Daniela said, smiling wide. "You von't regret zhis."

Hugo couldn't help but smile too. "I don't doubt this."