Status: finished. epilogue posted.

He Liked Her. She Liked Him.

one.

He winked at her, she smiled. They continued driving down the long winding road. Her heart ka-thumped, as his hand shifted on the steering wheel.

She was afraid. Afraid he didn't love her. He had never said it alot.
She was pretty. Long, blond, wavy hair, a heart shaped face, big eyes. She didn't feel pretty. She felt lifeless, ugly, dumb, and different when he wasn't near her. She felt beautiful when he was with her. She felt beautiful.
He was nervous. Nervous she didn't love him. She'd never said it alot.
He was cute, his curly brown hair and chocolate eyes popped against his skin.
He liked being around her. She brought life and colour to his being.
She was always in his thoughts.
She was comfortable around him. She liked doing the little things with him. She liked going to the supermarket to get bread for his mother. She liked helping him at his volunteer work. She liked helping him when he needed it.
All in all, they liked each other. Alot.

She started the conversation. They talked about their parents. A long, sparkling ray of sunlight shone through the window, landing on her face. He noticed.

"You're beautiful," he smiled.
She felt her face flush with colour.
"Stop, you're making be blush," she said, poking him in the arm.
"Good," he responded, smirking. "I love making you blush."

Colours passed - green trees, blue sky, yellow sun.
His hand was on her knee, the other still on the steering wheel. The top was down, and they were speeding along. Her hair was wind-whipped and messy, and his was ruffled. The radio was up louder than it should be. Nobody cared. It was just her and him, the open highway, the blue sky.
Perfect.

They stopped to a vintage milkshake parlor. They shared a chocolate milkshake. He'd spilt it on his jeans. She put whipped cream on his nose. They laughed and got back to the truck.

He revved the engine, and they were back on the road.

"Have you thought about college?" he asked her. His stomach was in knots. They hadn't talked about this for long. It upset them both, the fact that they'd have to be separated. It would happen in just a year. Time was running out rapidly.

"I.." she began, choking out the last few words. "I got accepted. Harvard."
"You," he stuttered. "Bu-th-that's amazing! I'm so happy for you."
"Yeah.."
"What's wrong?" he placed a hand on her arm.
"I have to move," she kept her gaze outside the window. She couldn't look him in the eye.

"Well," his voice was desperate. "We can make it work. We still have time. We-"
"Zachary," she stopped him, calling him by his full name. She didn't do that alot.
"Emily, this is supposed to be the time of our lives. We can stay together. This could last."
"I don't want to leave you," She said, tears forming in her round eyes.
"You don't have to," he said, his voice cracking. He stroked her arm. "I'll apply for there. I'll do alot of extra-curricular shit, I'll do anything."
She placed her head in her hands.
"I have plans. You'll see,"
They both sat in silence. She was sobbing slightly. He felt waves of hurt crashing over him. A sharp pain filled the pit of his stomach.
Her mind raced. How could this work? Without him, I'm nothing.
"Listen, stop crying, please, Emily.." he broke the silence. She looked up.
"I-I love you," he said, taking his eyes off the road. "I love you, Emily. Nothing can stop that. No stupid school is going to keep me from you,"
"I love you too," she replied gently, smiling. She leaned toward him, and they kissed tenderly.
The truck's swerving broke the kiss. The tires squealed. He struggled with the wheel. They continued swerving from the left and the right of the pavement.
"Emily, I can't control it!" he yelled, and his eyes widened.
"These could be our last moments," she screamed, tears streaming down her face. He stopped trying to calm the wheel. He looked toward her, and they shared a long kiss. The truck was shaking and moving, and looked as if it was about to flip.
"I love you," she gasped.
"I'll always love you, Emily." he replied frantically.
They continued to hug, as the truck steered toward a giant tractor-trailer. Tires squealed, glass smashed around them, and they took a final look at each other.
"I won't forget you," he whispered and the truck overturned multiple times. The air-bags flew open, and they both smiled as knew they were about to take their last breaths.
♠ ♠ ♠
oooooh. this is the entry for a contest! let me know what you think. i have an epilogue written also! i'm posting that too. :)