The Good Day

Dixy Ray

"Max, there's someone at the door for you!"
Max ran to the door, expecting Kelsey to be there with a smile. He hadn't seen her in a couple days, she had been spending so much time with her father. But he couldn't really blame her, if he could see his dad again, he would. "Hey, what's up--" He stopped mid sentence, taking in the figure that was standing in his doorway. "What are you doing here?"
"Oh, Max, does there really have to be a reason that I came to visit my friend?" She teased him, a smug smile creeping across her full lips. She wore a royal blue mini skirt, and a white tube top. "I just stopped by to say hello." She continued. "I really miss it around here."
Taking a step into the house, she wrinkled her nose as she looked around. Strutting around the living room, she took her time before sitting down on the couch, and patting the spot beside her. "Don't be shy, Max. Come sit down."
He sat on the opposite end of the couch, wondering what she could possibly want. Dixy had never been one to just pay a visit. There was always something in it for her. Whether it was gossip, or just looking for someone to hook up with- Well she wasn't getting either from him. "You know, I'm kind of waiting for someone, so you should really be going soon."
Her eyebrow rose a little, "Oh, and who are you expecting?" She inquired.
"Kelsey. My girlfriend." He said flatly.
"Oh yes," She tried so hard to look sympathetic, but Max knew her better than that. "I heard about that. Really, too bad, isn't it? But you know, I hear she had it coming to her...."

And then he knew. She was -jealous- of Kelsey.
Max had broken up with Dixy at the beginning of senior year, when he'd met Kelsey for the first time since he was in middle school. He knew that Kelsey wouldn't have ever even noticed him, she was one of those stand off-ish girls, but when she walked into his trig class he immediately felt attracted to her. She had such an air of mystery about her, that just made him want to get to know her more. He'd found out later that Kelsey was also in his P.E. class, and history. Dixy didn't know at the time why he'd really broken up with him, but she'd made it very obvious that she was upset.
Dixy had recourses. And one of them was hooking up with guys, so they'd do stuff for her. At one point she'd gotten three guys off the hockey team to beat him up. She'd come to the hospital later to comfort him, and he'd almost regretted letting her go. He would have never found out it was all her, if one of the guys hadn't stepped forward.
News travels fast at Oakland High, so he knew that Dixy would have found out about Kelsey and his date. He'd been worried sick about what Dixy might do to Kelsey when he asked her out, and that's why it had taken him all year to ask.

"Don't you dare say that!" Max bellowed. "Don't you dare EVER say that!"
Max stood as he rose, and Dixy flinched, as he rose his hand and pointed to the door. "Get out of my house." He said flatly, anger getting the best of him. "Now."
Dixy stood up, holding her hands in front of her in surrender. "Hey, you didn't hear it from me, but she's kind of a whore. I've heard a couple of guys on the hockey team say they slept with her." She smiled a bit, as Max's face began to go red. "I'm sure its just rumors though. You know how people are, they want something they'll do anything to get it." Backing out of the living room, she stopped by the hallway and shouted her good-bye to Mrs. Peace, before opening the front door and leaving. "Bye-bye, Max. I'll see you around."

Max fell back onto the couch, feeling like he could sleep for a month. "What did she do?" He whispered to himself.
Max's mom walked into the living room, drying her hands with a towel. "Wow, that Dixy sure has grown up! I feel like it's been forever since you two have hung out." She said, absent mindedly.
"It's only been about a year, Mom." He said, flatly.
"I suppose it has." She wondered to herself, "Well, we should really have her over more often. I miss her mother." She smiled, and walked back into the kitchen.

After an hour long nap, a knock on the door woke Max up.
"Hey Max, it's Kelsey!" She sang from behind the door, "You home?"
Max bolted to the door, and thrust it open. The sun behind her silhouetted her beautifully. She was wearing jean shorts, and a yellow T-shirt. She wore no makeup, and had thrown her hair up into a messy bun. Dixy would have never let him see her like this. She looked beautiful. "Kels!" He hugged her tight, and led her into the living room. "I'm glad you're here. Mom's making dinner right now, if you want to stick around."
"I'd love to!" Kelsey chirped, a big smile crossing her face.
They sat and talked for a while. Max asked about how Kelsey's been getting along with her father, and how her mom's taking him being home, and how she's been doing since the incident. She'd started crying a little bit, talking about the nightmares she'd been having, but he held her tight and comforted her. Likewise, she asked how he'd been doing, and how he'd been occupying his time while she was away.
"You know," Kelsey started slowly, "Dixy stopped by my house."
Max froze, smile fading from his lips.
She took his blank stare as an invitation to continue. "She apologized for tripping me in the hall, and asked if I wanted to go out for coffee sometime." Kelsey had a thoughtful look placed in her eyes, while she thought about what she'd just said. "You know, I never thought she liked me very much, but I guess I don't know her very well."
"You're not thinking about going, are you?"He asked, panic running through him.
"Well of course I am!" She acted so surprised at his question. "Why wouldn't I?"
Max paused, debating whether or not to argue her not going, but his mother interrupted his thoughts. "Kelsey, Max, dinner's ready!"
"Great, I'm starved!" Kelsey jumped out of her seat, and into the kitchen. Max just watched her- he'd lost his apatite.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading you guys! Hopefully another chapter will be up soon!
If there's any music you'd suggest me listen to to get my creative juices flowing, just lemme know! I need a little help getting my inspiration.
Comments?