The Good Day

Dealing with the Ex.

Kelsey felt herself floating in pure nothingness. She knew what had happened. She used to pass out all the time, but never from being too happy. Faintly, in the back of her mind, she could hear someone talking to her. She focused on that voice so she could get back. Soon, after what felt like hours, she could tell it was Max talking to her. She could also hear the swim coach. Kelsey had the slight feeling of air being pushed back into her body. She felt it over, and over again. Then she started to get feeling in the rest of her body. She felt hands. They were pressing into her stomach. And she felt lips pressing against her own. Oh my goodness! She thought. She sat bolt up, and hit the pervert that had been kissing her. It hadn't even occurred to her that she was being given CPR.
Her eyes flashed open just as her fist made impact with Coach's nose. Her face instantly heated. “Oh my goodness, Sir! I am so sorry!” Deep down she felt pride in herself. She never knew she could throw a punch like that. But the pride was drown out with complete horror.
Blood was steadily running from his nose. Coach put his hand under his nose, pulled it back and examined the blood. He then tilted his head back and pinched his nose. Giving her a glance, and a smile as he did so, “It's fine, Kels. Nice arm.”
She didn't realize it until then, but she was crouched over Coach, examining his nose, making sure he was okay. It was instinct, she always had that nurse-like appeal about her. But the way Coach was looking at her gave her the creeps.
Max came down beside Kelsey, put his arm around her shoulder, and lead her away. She looked at him, and could see that he understood that she was scared. She didn't even know why she was scared. But she was shaking all over.

Kelsey went to the nurse's office until lunch. She had been running a fever, and was really tired. She didn't wake up until Max came into the room.
She heard the door to the back room click, and her eyes burst open. She couldn't remember dreaming, let alone falling asleep. Standing at the edge of her bed was Max. He was looking at her. Just looking. Not crazed, and hungry, like Coach. He genuinely looked concerned. She'd never seen anyone look at her like that. Not even her mother. His eyes were flooded with compassion and love.
Kelsey made some sort of noise, as to signify to him that she was awake. They looked each other in the eyes for a minute. His eyes were sparkling more than usual, she noticed. His lips were twitched up in that crooked smile that she loved so much, and one of his curls had fallen out of place. She reached over to put it back, and he caught her hand. He held it like he held her gaze.
“So,” he began, “About our date.” Oh great, he's going to cancel. She thought. “I was wondering what time I should pick you up.” Oh. “I'm free, pretty much, all the time. So it's up to you.
She gave him a grin. “How about six? What movie are we going to see anyway?” She truly was curious.
“It's a surprise.” He shrugged off her question. “Come on. Let's go have lunch.” He opened the door for her and lead her to the lunch room. When they entered, hand in hand, everyone looked. She'd never felt more attention in her life. She didn't know weather to be scared, or happy about this sudden change.
Two of her friends were waiting for her at their regular table. Max was leading her away from the table. She gave him a look of confusion. “Hey, where are you going?”
He still had a smile on. “Bringing you over to our friends.” He looked down into her eyes, he could feel her unease. “What's wrong?”
She hadn't noticed until now how much taller than her he was. At least 4 inches. “It's just. Those are your friends. Not mine. I was going to go sit by my friends.” She felt weird, saying that she didn't want to sit with him and his friends.
Max, on the other hand, didn't seem to mind. He just kept walking toward his friends, but he didn't sit down. Instead he said, “Hey guys, this is Kelsey. I'm going to go sit with her, and her friends today. Okay?” They all mumbled in some sort of agreement, but none of them said hello to me. Max didn't seem to notice. He just turned around, and we both sat down with my friends.
Megan Obriem was gaping at Max. Her bright gold eyes wide with surprise. Her long blond hair was worn in a messy bun today. Her perfectly glossy, red lips were slightly parted. As if realizing this her self, she shook her head and fixed her composure.
Gigi on the other hand, had a face on that just said she wanted to tease her. She could feel her face getting hot again. But Gigi just gave her a wink.
“Hey guys, this is Max.” I motioned to him. “He's gonna sit with us today.” They both nodded their heads as my last friend, Jake, came up to our table.
Jake gave one look at Max and frowned. “What the hell is he doing here?” He asked bluntly. Jake is gay, and hasn't liked Max since the seventh grade, when he turned him down flat.
Gigi gave him a warning glare. Gigi and Jake Thiss are twins, and Gigi is very overpowering when it comes to her brother. He immediately shut up. But he was pouting, too.
Lunch went by quietly, as usual. She felt bad that Max had to sit through Jake's glares, and Gigi and Megan's giggles. He looked like he was dealing with it fine, but she could tell that he was kind of embarrassed.

After lunch she felt completely refreshed. She aced the test in her anatomy class, and helped all the kids in her tutor class. They all understood. The good feeling was rising again. She got to her locker, after the final bell rang, with a big smile on her face. She didn't have any homework, even from the classes she missed that day. And that's when it hit her. The reason the teachers had giggled when she asked about homework, and why Max said he was free all week. It was the last day of school! Kelsey thought her face was going to crack in half because of how big her smile was.
Someone from behind Kelsey pushed her. She spilled everything onto the floor, including her glass project from earlier that week. It shattered on impact, and Kelsey sliced her hand open on it. The cut was pretty deep, but she wasn't worried about it. Right now she was more focused on who had tripped her.
When she looked up, she was looking directly into the face of Dixy Ray. A.K.A: Max's ex girlfriend.
Dixy was just looking at her. Her features were stained with malice, and her eyes had a shimmer of revenge in them. She looked fantastic. Her high cheekbones and wide, green eyes put sophistication on her face. Her makeup was done perfectly. Not too much, but just enough to know it was there. That day she was wearing a cream polo shirt, and a knee length, olive skirt. On any other person it would have looked horrible, but she made it work. Her black, high-heel shoes made it seem like she was towering over Kelsey, and altho she was looking down, not one perfect, brown hair, came out of her bun.
Through her anger, Kelsey realized that there was a swim meet today at five, and that's why Dixy was dressed so nicely.
“You better watch your back out there. You never know who's out to get you.” She flashed her model smile, before walking away. To Kelsey, that smile was just ugly from hate.
Max came up behind her, and gave Dixy a glance. Understanding flashed through his eyes. “I'm so sorry.” He pleaded with his eyes, “I promise I wont let her do anything to you.” Determination was set into his voice. She believed that he wouldn't let anything happen to her. “Six o'clock, right?”
Kelsey smiled up at him. “Six o'clock”