The Good Day

Interrogation #4

"So, what is you relationship with Kelsey Baker?" The detective asked.

Scott Ryles sat uncomfortably in the fold-up chair he'd been given. He'd only seen interrogation rooms on television- They were every bit as intimidating as the looked. "I was Kelsey's P.E. teacher for four years of high school and her tennis coach when she was in middle school." He tried, with little success, to sound less defensive than he actually felt.

Detective Frier had checked with the administration of the school before hauling this creep to the station. Turns out that many complaints had been reported to the office, anonymously, of course, against Coach Ryles. It seemed that he had a staring problem. Though, it's hard to build a case off of looking. And none of the reports said anything about vocal or physical sexual harassment. Still, he didn't like the guy already.

"Have you seen Kelsey at all since school has been out?"

Coach Ryles rubed his three-day stubble in thought. "Well, I saw her at the park with her father a little over a month ago. Am I being questioned about her attack?"

The detective sat back in his chair, putting his hands behind his head. "Yes, you are." He smiled, mostly because the man across from him seemed to be a nervous wreck.

"That prick, Kyle, called me out, didn't he?" Scott was sweating, and his knee was bouncing.

"I'm not at liberty to say, Scott. Can I call you Scott?"

"I don't care." He dismissed. "Look, Kyle doesn't exactly like me. If he's the one that had you call me, it's not a very valid reason. I can guarantee that."

"Why doesn't Kyle like you?"

Scott sighed, shifting in his seat, trying to get comfortable. "Because," He said, "when I encountered him at the park with Kelsey, I called him a bad father. He was never there for her, and it hurt her."

"You say that like she's talked to you about it." Frier had out a little notepad. He didn't think he'd really need to write anything down- This guys interview was really going to stick, but it never hurt to be ready.

"Well, that's because she has!" That caught the detective's attention. "Kelsey used to email me or stay after class to talk."

Frier arched his eyebrow. "Would you like some coffee, Scott? You look like you need to relax."

"Um, sure. Yes, I'd appreciate that."

He left the room and called Kelsey. She said that he was creepy and no, she would never talk to him outside of class, she could hardly be in the same room as him. He came back to the room with two coffees to find Scott shuffling through the file that he'd left on the table. Obviouslt startled by the detective's entrance, he scrambled to put everything back into the folder, letting a picture float to the floor. It landed, upside down, partially on Scott's foot and he leaned to get it, but Detective Frier beat him to it.

It was a picture of Kelsey's breasts, bruised and scarred. The detective looked down at his perp, who was crossing his legs to hide a boner.

"Curious, are we?"

Scott's eyes darted to the door, "No, I-"

"No, go ahead and look." Frier spread all the photos from the folder onto the table, grabbed the back of Scott's head and forced him to look. "This is what Kelsey looked like when she was in the hospital, unconscious, just after she was brutally raped." He growled. "A monster did this. A pervert. Do these pictures turn you on, Scott?"

"N-no!" He sputtered, trying to get out of the detectives grasp.

"Really, Scott? Cause that's not what it looks like. Or are you just looking forward to a date tonight?"

Coach Ryles stood up from his chair and scurried away. "I don't have to take this from you! I know I didn't do anyhting wrong."

The detective waved him off. "Then by all means, leave! It'll only make you look more guilty!"

But Scott didn't hear him, he was already out the door, running.

Looks like Kyle's got a good sense in judgement.

Frier's captain came out of his office. "What was that all about?"

"Looks like I've got a pretty good suspect on the Kelsey Baker case. I'm going to look more into his personal records. He's looking good for this."

The captain scratched his thinning hair. "What's his name?"

"Scott Ryles."