The Good Day

Nightmares

Be a good girl...
Just be a good girl...


Kelsey woke with a start, eyes darting around the room in panic. When she finally came to the conclusion that she was safe she waited to make sure that she hadn't woken her mother and Eli. Nightmares happened every night, but Kelsey only called out once in a while now.

The television flashed from commercial to commercial and back to some movie on the sci-fi channel, all the while muted. Kelsey swung her legs over the side of the couch and tip-toed to the kitchen. After serving herself a bowl of ice cream, topped with whipped cream, sprinkles, and gummy bears, she poured a glass of prune juice and walked back to the den. The moment the walked through the entree way, though, she noticed that something was wrong. The front door was open a crack, letting in the cold night air.

"Mom! Mommy!"

Eli ran down the stairs followed closely by Carri, who wrapped her arms around her daughter. "Honey, I'm right here. Did you have another bad dream?"

"No!"

Kelsey pointed to the front door and Eli grasped her hand firmly, trying to be supportive. It just made Kelsey feel uncomfortable, though, and she snatched her hand back.

Carri glared up at him, arms still around her crying daughter. "Eli, you're not helping. Please go and check around the outside of the house and close the door."

Eli rolled his eyes and slammed the door behind himself as he went outside to scope the perimeter of the house. "This is ridiculous." He muttered.

"Will I ever be able to sleep again without nightmares?" Kelsey burried her head into her mother's shoulder wile Carrie ran her fingers through her black hair, trying to cease the crying.

"Oh, Honey... I just don't know."

"well, nothing is out there." Eli puffed. "Nothing to be scared of." He crouched down next to the couch so that he was eye level with Kelsey and pat her on the head, smiling. "Your mother and I are gonna head back to our room. You should turn in, too."

"Actually," Carri started, "I'm going to stay out here with her."

"Oh. I can stay if you want someone with her."

"No, Honey. Just go back to bed."

Eli paused, obviously feeling a bit awkward, but finally trudged up the stairs to sleep.

__

"Hey, Baby. What's up?" Max's voice sounded so distant on the telephone.

"Hey. I just needed to talk to you. I had a rough night."

The connection crackled while Max readjusted the phone. "Well, I'm at the park painting right now, but I can be over in twenty minutes if you need me."

"No, no. That's okay. Thank you, though." Kelsey tugged at lock of her hair nervously. "Could you just drop by when you're finished? I miss you."

"I'll be there in twenty. See you soon!" She could hear the smile on his lips. He hung up before she could object.

Kelsey sat on the edge of her bed, staring at her alarm clock, willing the next twenty minutes to fly by. They seemed to go by endlessly, though- each minute lasting longer than the last until finally the door bell rang. Kelsey raced down the stairs to meet Max, but Eli beat her there. When he opened to door, Max wasn't the only one waiting on the porch. Detective Frier was there as well.

"Can I help you, Sir?" Kelsey's heart was beating in her ears, anticipating the man to tell her that he'd caught her rapist.

As if reading her mind, Detective Frier gave her a small, sad smile. "Just here to talk to your step-father, Kelsey. Another routine interview."
♠ ♠ ♠
Just trying to get back in the swing of things. Hope you enjoy! Please leave feed back!