The Good Day

Spill

After a few hours of catching up, Kyle and Kelsey let everyone else into the room, to share the news. They all seemed to want to get in first. They all looked at her, as if they expected her to say “April Fools!”, even though it was June. Or was it July, now?
Tension was hung in the air. Carri glared at the back of Kyle's head, as he sat on Kelsey's bed, holding her hands. On the other side of the room, Jake glared at Max. “ I have something to say.” Kelsey began, sitting up. Everyone's attention returned to her. She looked directly at her mother as she said, “I'm pregnant.”
Her mother's eyes filled with disgust, and a single tear escaped. She looked away from Kelsey. Her father squeezed her hand. Next to her, Max took a step back from her. She felt a stab of pain in her heart.
“What the hell did you Do?!” Eli had come over to Max, grabbed his shirt, and forced him against the wall. Max's hands shot up in surrender. “It wasn't me, Sir, I swear! I would never-”
Kelsey sat up, too quickly, and became dizzy. "Eli, he didn't do a thing!" She spat at him, "Let him go." Eli released Max, and returned to Carri's side, a look of shame streaking his face. Max straightened his shirt, and looked Kelsey in the eye, sorrow, and sympathy. He felt sorry for her. She expected that he'd never ask her out, again. He'd probably get back together with his ex, and they'd live happily ever after, and she'd be alone, maybe with a baby.
Kelsey glanced back at her mother, then sent her gaze to her hands, folded in her lap. "I'm keeping it, too. I might give it up for adoption, but I can't kill it." Kelsey had never been alright with abortion, it was odd that she'd even considered it. "I'm sorry, Mommy." She whimpered.
"Sorry?!" Kyle stood up, looking astonished. "What do you have to be sorry for, sweetheart? This wasn't your fault, people are sick."
"Well," Carri began, timidly, "She was walking out alone. In the bad part of town, none the less." She looked disappointed, and disgusted. "I think you should take a little more time to think about keeping it." What had happened to her loving mother? The one that stayed up at night with her, while she was sick, or sad? If she'd only met Carri today, she would have never guessed she was such a compassionate woman.
Then she remembered--
"Brian!" Her little brother. What had happened to him? She'd seen him dead...
Dead.
"Where's my little brother?!" She screamed. Kelsey yanked the sheet off of her body, and started to get out of bed, tears streaming down her face. Her mother gave a hic-up of remorse, and Kyle put a hand on her shoulder. "Brian.
Is.
Dead."
Eli had said the words, so coldly, so emotionless, but she couldn't process them. She was supposed to take care of her brother, he couldn't be dead, and her still alive.
A doctor walked in, and whispered something to Eli, then he and Carri left the room. Leaving Kelsey with her friends, and her father.

_______________________________________________________________________

Not three hours later was Kelsey at home. Jake, and Gigi went home, but Megan and Max stayed. Carri had refused to allow Kyle to stay in the house with them, although Eli had moved in, so he planned to stay in a motel not too far away. She wouldn't see him until tomorrow, though.
Max thought it was a tad odd that Kelsey was aloud to leave the hospital so soon after waking up, but she was in stable condition, so it couldn't hurt. Her mother had called and investigator, to find the man who'd raped her. But Kelsey wasn't holding her breath for them to find anything. She couldn't remember much of that night, so she wasn't much help. Any fluids he'd left, were long gone. One of the detectives had told her that she'd been washed before she'd woken up, and that's why they couldn't find any traces of hairs, or semen.
In Kelsey's mind, it was a lost cause.Even if they did find him, she wasn't sure she could face him.

"I thought the last day of school was supposed to be a good sort of exciting?" Kelsey sighed, letting out a spiteful chuckle. "Instead i got harassed by Max's ex girlfriend, raped, and my little brother dead." She let a shrill, slightly histarical laugh slip out, and she clutched her legs to her chest. "To top it all off, I'm growing a person inside of me. The cheery on top, huh?"
She glanced sideways at Max, to find his gaze meet hers.
He took her hand and kissed it. Smiling, he looked from Kelsey, to Megan, "Luckily, you don't have to go through this alone, huh sweetie?"

His words were music to her ears.