Crescent Shrine

“What, they can’t do this,” I gawked in disbelief. I gasped as I realized that my concentration wavered from Kuwabara’s wounds. I held my hands firmly over his chest again. I tried to zone out the chatter of the boys trying to size up the competition that Kurama has dubbed the Shinobi of the Spirit World. My parents had told me stories of their good and bad deeds in the demon world when I was a young child, making up reasons why they would come after bad little girls.

“Ann, we may be in for a show,” Botan pouted, as I followed her gaze to the red hair woman in a purple nurse’s outfit taking Hiei and the masked fighter to the medical tent. That’s odd, I am their medic – why was the tournament officials doing this? The two tried to exit the tent, but were caught in an electric field. We were down to just two fighters. “We can’t even use our alternate until one of them…. Dies.” I gulped. I focused harder on healing Kuwabara so he would be able to help even a little as soon as possible. I could feel his muscles knit back together and the bones merge back into one piece under my spirit energy. I could hear the fighting in the ring, Yusuke’s yelling and Botan’s horrified reactions.

“You’re not helping,” I growled as I kept my eyes closed and concentrated even harder that I could feel beads of sweat appearing on my face.

“I’m sorry, but you may have someone more injured to help.” My concentration broke as my eyes widened in horror. I spun around quickly and ran to join Yusuke closer to the ring. Kurama was unable to use any of his spirit energy and was forced to only dodge the attacks of his icy opponent. I choked out his name in a low voice. I pulled at my long kimono-esque sleeves in anticipation. Kurama hit the ground hard. I sprung forward, Yusuke holding me back by my arm.

“Let me go,” I said slowly. I did not try to remove my arm from his grasp.

“There’s nothing that you can do. It’s his fight.” Yusuke said apologetically.

“I know,” I said meekly. “But he’s covered in his own blood.” Touya, his opponent, jumped at him with his sword of ice. I spun around and covered my eyes unable to watch. The count started.

“And the winner is Kurama!” I gasped, turning to face the ring. Touya lay at Kurama’s feet as he stood their unconscious.

“Help me get him out of the ring,” I said quickly, trying to pull Yusuke with me.

“Not so fast,” A very muscular, dark skinned man said jumping into the ring.

“He’s not even conscious! I’m taking this fight,” Yusuke yelled. The ref stood unsure in the ring, looking between the man and Yusuke. She tried to rule for Yusuke to take the fight until those in charge of the tournament stepped in.

“The next fight will be Kurama verses Bakken,” The speakers boomed. I sent the main stadium box a glare as my fists tightened. Bakken punched Kurama in the stomach. I stood by the edge of the ring, balling my hands into fists and tugging at my sleeves. I watched as he threw the ref out of the ring as she tried to start the count and he picked Kurama up so he was standing.

“Oh look, he’s on his feet again. Guess that means he wants more,” Bakken smirked.

“Let him go!” I screamed, fuming. Bakken turned to lay his eyes on me. He just laughed, punching Kurama in the stomach.

“Stop! I’m all for pain and torture, but this guy’s not even awake to enjoy it. I’m starting the ten count,” The ref said, getting between the two. He laughed, tossing her out of the ring again and picking Kurama up and reading another punch.

“Stop Bakken.” One of the masked figures said from the edge of the ring.

“Why Risho,” he whined.

“If you were to have landed that punch you would have died as well,” Risho said, pointing to Yusuke. I turned to see that he had made a gun with his forefinger and had it pointed for Bakken’s head, “or do you think you would have survived a bullet to the back and an angry priestess.” Bakken looked from Yusuke to me before he threw Kurama towards us. Yusuke and I ran towards him, Yusuke picking him up and bringing him a safe distance from the ring. I grabbed my book and flipped through the pages to one of the more advanced chants for multiple injuries. I laid my hands over his body and began to concentrate as Yusuke jumped in the ring. I had to save my friend while Yusuke taught Bakken a lesson. I watched as my hands glowed a soft azure over his aching body. I watched in surprise as Kurama raised his hands to cover mine, the blue glow fading.

He smiled, “I’ll be fine. Take care of Kuwabara.”

I could not help but chuckle, “you idiot. You’re in worse shape, you need my attention now.”

“It’ll take some time and spirit energy, but I can unsow this death plant myself.” I took my left hand and flicked him in the temple. “What was that for?” He whined.

“For almost dying! Now just let me help you,” I pouted, the blue glow returning with my concentration.

Kurama rested his head back as he chuckled, “you’re always so focused.”

“Shh, you just rest.” I growled, closing my eyes and focusing on his death plant in his veins. I could feel the life of the plant leave his body and enter my fingertips as it slowly withered away. Once I had killed the seed, I focused on closing his cuts and fixing his muscles.

“You’ve done enough for me,” Kurama started. I took my hand and made a swatting motion at his chest.

“Not until I’ve done everything to the best of my current ability,” I paused, “which is pretty new.” I frowned – realizing that I really was not a big help to this team at all. My glow faded. I had just been swept off this morning to the Dark Tournament without any previous healing training, and Koenma expected me to be of assistance? If anything I may be making things worse while I was trying my best. I felt Kurama move beneath my hands. I could have easily killed Kuwabara or Kurama if I was not careful. Sure, I had my family’s book – but how good was it without any training? I felt two arms engulf me and pull me into their chest.

“Stop second guessing yourself,” Kurama whispered into my hair as he held me close. I was shaking, just staring down at my hands. “Besides, Kuwabara won.”

“But you got yourself really hurt,” I pouted, sending a hurt glare his way as our team was ruled the winner. “Wait – Kuwabara got in the ring?!” I pulled away from Kurama’s embrace and faced the ring where Kuwabara was jumping up and down in glee for his win over Risho. “No…No way.”

“Guess you are helpful,” Kurama grinned. Kuwabara leaned back to belt out a laugh, froze and fell to the ground in a lump groaning.

“Or not…” I frowned.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, after a long haitus caused by the complexity that is upper level university courses, I am back with a vengeance!

Peace. Love. Murder. Complicate.