The Only Exception

Those Who Slay Together, Stay Together

Across the hall my parents are asleep, more like passed out really. Although I know I’m ok, I know I can get out of here and I know Harper is right outside the house just in case, I’m still scared shitless. There’s a part of me that isn’t scared at all because I know I can get out of this. I’ve been doing this for years, living through it all my life. That doesn’t keep me from shaking though.

The small amount of my belongings are packed in black garbage bags. They’re sitting next to my bed, waiting for me to pick them up and walk the hell out of here. At the same time, those bags are taunting me. It’s as if they’re teasing me, telling me there is no way that I have the balls to do it. What if my father decides that he doesn’t want me gone? What if he wants to keep me? I’m just across the street, easy access.

I bite my lip and inhale deeply through my nostrils. My hands tremble as they reach for the bag. The moment they touch the plastic my bedroom door flies open. I turn rapidly and stare with wide eyes at my father who is steaming mad in the door way.

“What the hell you doin’ boy?” he hollers, taking a few steps forward. His eyes land on the bags and then me. “Goin’ somewhere?”

“Yeah,” I reply with the small amount of courage that I have in me. It’s better to rely on that than the horror filling up my gut. “Got a problem with that?”

“I do,” he snarls. “You ain’t going anywhere.”

“I’m old enough to decide that for myself. You may not know but I turned 18 a few days ago. You can’t control me anymore.” I’m shaking but it doesn’t keep me from advancing towards him. I glare upwards to show that I’m not backing down. I’m not staying here and putting up with this shit any longer.

He reaches out to grab my wrist tightly. “I said you aren’t goin’ anywhere!”

“Fuck you. It’s not like you need or want me here!” I holler, ripping myself free from his grasp. “All you ever do is get high and drunk. What will happen if I just let that little fact slip?”

He stiffens. I grin.

“What if the sheriff comes over for a little check up and finds the drugs lying all over the floor?” I never thought of using black mail before. It’s a chicken's way out but you gotta do what you gotta do. “What if I tell them about the abuse? They won’t be so good.”

“You little shit, you wouldn’t.”

“I would.” Crossing my arms, I put a smile on my face although on the inside I want to run. If he decides to kill me now he probably could.

Glaring down at me, he scoffs and gestures toward the door. “Get out. Get the hell out and never come back!”

“My pleasure.” I grip the bags in my hands and jog out my bedroom door and down the steps. When I open the front door Harper is there, leaning against the house. He stands up straight about ready to ask how it went but I answer before he can. “He won’t be bothering us anymore.”

Harper smiles and grabs one of my bags, tossing it over his shoulder. With his unoccupied hand, he grips my fingers and intertwines them. Butterflies erupt in my stomach and I sigh. It’s such a nice feeling that I really want to keep for the rest of my life.

~

Susan, Mary, Bobby, Ray and I all stand next to each other, our arms wrapped around one another with huge smiles on our faces. All their mothers are starting to cry as they take the picture. After the snap, we let go of one another and laugh.

“Can you believe we actually graduated?” Ray shouts with excitement, hopping from one foot to another while playing with the fabric of his graduation gown.

All around us it’s extremely chaotic. Parents are crying and hugging their kids, teachers are congratulating and giving us all words of wisdom, people are running about trying to take pictures and talk to friends who will be leaving and never coming back, it’s a sad yet happy day. I’m not sure if I like the combination or not.

“Yeah, I can believe we graduated but you Ray…not so much,” I chuckle, elbowing the boy playfully in the side.

He rolls his eyes. “Whatever Roy. I am a fuckin’ genius in disguise and you know it.”

“Keep telling yourself that,” Mary giggles, wrapping her arms around mine and giving me a peck on the cheek. “Lover boy is walkin’ this way.”

Immediately my head snaps to the side to see Harper working his way over to us. I smile and jog towards him. Throwing my arms around his neck, I bring him down for a quick peck and grin. “I’m glad you made it.”

“Yeah, I was worried I wouldn’t. Traffic,” Harper groans, seeming to be slightly angry probably because of the traffic. He rocks us from side to side and hums. “So how does it feel to finally graduate?”

“Pretty good…but this just means I’m going to have to start college,” I grunt.

“You won’t last.”

“Fuck you!” I shout, pulling away and punching him. “I will too.”

“I know,” Harper chuckles, leaning in to kiss me once more. My lips still tingle just like the first time we kissed. The feelings of love are there and everyday they’re getting stronger and stronger.

“Hey love birds, stop making out and get your butts over here!” Susan screams, catching both of our attentions. We turn fast to look at her. She’s waving wildly at us, trying to flag us over there. Sighing, I shake my head and grab Harper’s hand, dragging him over there right behind me.

“I love you, Roy,” Harper whispers into my ear, kissing my neck affectionately and making me shiver.

I smile and glance back at him over my shoulder. Feeling his dark blue eyes on me makes my skin break out in goose bumps. I can do anything as long as he’s right there behind me.

The way our fingers fit just perfectly makes my heart skip a beat. The way Harper holds me, the way he kisses me, the sound of his voice, it all drives me crazy. I love him more than anything and anyone and I have a feeling it’s going to stay that way for the rest of our lives.

Before we reach my friends I stop for a moment to reach back for his cheek. Stroking it with my thumb, I smile and say, “I love you too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
That's all folks!
Thanks so much for all the support, comments, subscribers and love for this story
I'm glad so many people liked it!
I know I've been doing slow on my stories but I think I've got a few idea's that might get me back into the groove
Anyways, this is another happy ending for us all!

Comment?