Status: One-shot! Completed!

Waiting Here

Seven hundred and nine.

His fingers strummed the guitar chords, playing a peaceful melody. His eyes were closed, his fingers just creating soft sounds on the acoustic guitar. He was sitting on his bed, sunlight from the sunset outside, streaming through his opened window.

His older brother was down in the basement; his younger brother was out in the backyard. The eldest of the four boys no longer lived at home, but was happily married. His parents were currently at the food store, stocking up for the hungry teenagers of the house.

He glanced at the silver watch on his wrist, she was running late. Running a hand through his curly locks, he cleared his throat.

He knew she was upset, why shouldn’t she be? He had to pack up and leave, yet again. But that was he life; she knew that from the very beginning. She knew the life he chose to live all these years.

The doorbell could be heard through out the house, his eyes closed, his ears strained to hear the voice at the front door.

Footsteps up the wooden staircase are the only thing he heard though, and then a hesitant knock.

Placing his guitar on the stand, he wiped his hands down his jeans. His nerves were shot through the roof; the outcome of the night could go any way.

Turning the brass knob, his brown chocolate eyes scanned the body of the figure before him. His voice was caught in his throat, before him was the sole reason for his out of control nerves.

She bit the bottom of her lip, nervous, and smiled. “Hi,” she pushed her brown hair behind her and looked at the ground.

“Hey,” he pushed his door open wider, and she took that as the invitation she had been looking for. Wrapping her arms around his waist, he released the breath, he had been holding, and
hugged her back.

His lips met the side of her head as her arms squeezed his frame. Stepping back, he brought the girl with him, and closed his wooden door behind them.

“I’m so sorry for earlier.”

He shook his head and pushed hair out of her face. “I didn’t expect anything less. I shouldn’t have waited to tell you.” She shushed the boy before her by placing her lips over his.

He smiled at her method of ending the conversation, and placed his hands on her hips. Her shirt fabric was soft to the skin; it began to rise as she wrapped her arms around his neck.
Pulling her body up to his height, he wrapped his arms fully around her body.

“You know, that conversation wasn’t over.” He mumbled against her lips. She laughed and stood back to her normal height.

“What conversation?” he shrugged as she sat down on his bed. Looking around the room, her eyes landed on a picture frame. Picking it up, she smiled and took it back to where he sat.

“I love that picture,” he mumbled against her neck. She shivered as chills ran down her spine. Smiling, he wrapped his arms around her small body.

“I do too, it was such a great summer.” He nodded and let his head rest against her body.

“I won’t be gone long. It will be over before you know it.” He whispered to her. She felt her eyes
cloud up, salt stinging her senses. She nodded and begged herself not to cry in front of him.

“Hey, look at me.” He turned her around, taking her face in his hands; his thumbs wiped away the falling tears. “Don’t cry babe.”

“I try not to. It’s just so hard, I miss you every moment you’re gone.” She said as more tears fell from her face. He kissed her forehead, trying desperately to calm her down.

“I know it’s hard, but that’s what makes our relationship so special to me. Knowing you are here waiting for me to return to.” She smiled and nodded.

“I’ll always be here waiting for you to return.”

“I know.” He kissed her softly, holding her closely to his body. “I love you Emily.”

She looked at him and smiled, brushing the hair away from his face, she kissed his forehead. “I love you too Nicholas.”
♠ ♠ ♠
:)