Status: finished

Contempt

diciotto

Stephen found her as she was half under the back bench of the bus, looking for anything that might have fallen under the seats.

“What happened, Evelyn?” When her face came into focus, he bit his lip. Her eyes were red and puffy. “What happened?” His voice was more urgent this time.

“I’m going back to Nashville. I can’t be here anymore.”

“Evelyn, I’m sure whatever happened can be fixed.” His hand rested the crook of her arm, but she pulled it out of his grasp.

With a shake of her head, she broke his heart. “I don’t think it’s that simple, Stephen. It never is anymore. I’ll just go home and face the wrath of my parents, it’s better than what I have here. I’ve made a right mess of everything.” Her accent was heavy as she spoke of home. “John’s all over me, Ian’s pissed at me, I can’t stand being in this van anymore.”

This time, his hand cradled her face, “Evelyn, maybe right now all this seems unfixable, but I’m sure it’ll blow over. If you need a place to stay, we have an extra bunk. If you’re not comfortable with that, I’m sure The Cab or Mayday would offer you their’s. You have other friends, even if it doesn’t feel like it right now.” His thumb brushing across her cheek was what had her break their contact.

Again, she shook her head, “No, Stephen, this is it. This is the end of my tour. I’m going to go back home and just deal with whatever it is my parents have made my consequence for all of this.”

Knowing there was no more arguing, he grabbed her phone from her open purse. “Here, just…I’ll take you to the airport or whatever, but I want you to text me when you land. A phone call would be better. I’d stop a set to make sure you’re all right.”

Those were the words that caused her to wrap her arms around him in a tight embrace, “You somehow just said what I didn’t know I needed to hear.” His arms fell around her waist in the hug, loving the feeling of their bodies fitting together.

“Come on, we can say our goodbyes later. We don’t even know if there’s an airport around here.”

“It’s about ten miles away, and there’s a flight back to Nashville in a couple hours.” She held up her phone, which he had slipped into her hand after programming his number in, with a soft smile.

He grabbed her larger bag with ease, “Any chance you’ve also called a cab?”

“You don’t have to come-”

“Our set is the last one tonight, it’s fine. Come on, I’ll take that as you did call the cab?”

“Yeah.” She looked him over, wondering how the boy who so rudely greeted her just a few days ago had become the one standing before her.

“Come on, then.” He started off, pausing a few steps ahead. “Unless you’re having second thoughts…”

Evelyn shook her head, once again the simple gesture caused both their hearts to fall. “I have to go back, I can’t take being on this anymore. It’s just…I’m wondering how you can be the same person I met a few days ago.”

“It really only has been a few days, hasn’t it? This tour seems so long and so short at the same time. Ireallywishyoucouldstay.” His words rushed together, but she knew what he meant. She linked his hand with his when they made it to the outskirts of the venue, her bags in the trunk. They were safe in the backseat, stuck somewhere between still there and leaving.

There were no words they could truly say in parting. She pulled him into a tight hug, happy that he was here with her, to say goodbye, even if their words were failing. Evelyn was happy that Stephen was here for her when she felt like no one else was. For a few moments, with his arms just as tight around her, she could forget about the boys looking for her, about how much her phone would be ringing if she hadn’t shut it off. She could forget the angry friends and enemies she left back the venue. Right now, it was just Evelyn and Stephen, two people who would miss each other for reasons they didn’t even completely understand.

She was so happy he was here that as she went to break away, when he pressed his lips to hers softly, then more reassured, she didn’t pull away. In face, she kissed back.

The finally warning was what pulled them apart, they couldn’t even look in the eye, hoping the gloss would fade. She turned, walking towards the plane, wondering if she would see him again.
♠ ♠ ♠
don't hate me...
this isn't over yet, at least I don't think it is. If you guys think this is a good ending, well tell me what you think?
I just hope this didn't suck.