Status: finished

Contempt

fine

Six months later

Evelyn stood a few feet away from baggage claim, her own overstuffed overnight bag sitting at her feet, waiting for her ride to show up.

She found herself involuntarily letting out a yelp as arms wrapped around her waist. “It’s been a month and a half. I’m always surprised by how much I can miss you.”

Stephen loosened his grip on her enough for her to turn around and face him. “You’re such a girl,” she teased, kissing his nose.

“I think you know quite well that I’m a man, Red.” He pressed his lip against the crease between her neck and shoulder. “Now,” he pulled away from her to grab the bag from her feet, “shall we go?”

As she allowed him to lead her by the hand out of the airport, she considered how well she was getting to know this area. In only a few visits over a few months, she was beginning to know Stephen’s home almost as well as she knew Nashville, where she had spent her entire life.

He held her door open for her, closed her in, stored in bag in the backseat…he doted over her when they were together. Sometimes, it struck her how extreme a difference her Stephen. He took her hand into his over the center console after he started the engine.

“Are you hungry, Red?” His thumb rubbed circles on the back of her hand.

She released his hand, grabbing his phone from the console. “Can we order from that great Mexican place around the corner? I can walk by and pick it up. I would love to stretch my legs a bit. And don’t you dare make a remark about how I could stretch my legs, Stephen Gomez.” She cut him off as soon as he opened his mouth.

“I was only going to say that if you’re tired, I would go pick it up,” his smirk said otherwise. When he stopped at the next light, he leaned over to whisper, “But I would love any excuse to get you into the bedroom.” After his words, his face returned to a calm standard, but a twinkle stayed in his eye. “So how are the boys?”

“They’re in the studio again, messing around a lot. I don’t see them too much these days unless they drag me in with them. Ry is kind of in his little sequester mode. Jamie is spending most of his free time with Ella these days; those two are so damn cute together. Nash’s getting pretty annoyed with being known as Chord’s older brother these days though.”

“And Ian?”

She chewed lightly on the inside of her cheek. “Ian is Ian.” Those were the only words she could use to express how awkward the relationship between her and Ian had become. The conversation paused as she found the number in his phone and placed their order.

He parked at his building. Stephen looked over at Evelyn and realized just how much wanted to keep their lives intertwined.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally, it's over. A lot later than I expected it to be, I promise you. Sometimes life gets in the way.
I hope you liked it. It was a long time coming. Now I'm going to try and finish the other story. I signed up for a one shot contest. I don't think I can get too much into writing again though, I don't have the time. I haven't talked to Felly in ages...so I'm not sure where Finding Our Footing is...
I'd love to know what you think, hope I didn't disappointed. That is, if anyone is still reading.
<3 Dee