Sequel: True Affection.
Status: Completed.

Fuel to the Fire.

Growing up.

Welcome to California

I smiled at that oh so familiar sign. I really missed it here, the palm trees and the beautiful ocean. Don’t get me wrong I loved Arizona, mostly the people that I met in Arizona. Its crazy how in just a couple of months I met people that have already changed my life. I found myself in my old neighborhood. I look to my right at the park where I first learned how to ride a bike; then the thorn bush that I fell in. I smiled stretched on my face as I pulled into the driveway, ready to see my family. I practically ran out of my car and into my house, for some reason the door to our house was always open during the day. Once the door was open I could smell the amazing food, my stomach turned and my mouth watered.
“Familia!”
Right when those words came out of my mouth I heard little feet running in my direction. I looked at all my little cousins running to me. I smiled before grabbing each one hugging and kissing them. I saw my little nephew running towards me, shocked at how he was able to walk. Last time I saw him he was barely crawling.
“Nico!”
I picked him up when I heard him let out an excited scream. I kissed his soft face, happiest can be. I saw my Dad walking out, looking like he was out of breath. I walked over to him and let him grab me into a hug, kissing my forehead.
“I missed you”, he said giving me another kiss.
“I missed you too old man”, I said looking at his arms full with tattoos.
I looked over and saw my older brother standing there with his wife. Still holding his son, I walked over and gave them both hugs and kisses. I looked into the kitchen and saw my grandma cooking away. I ran and gave her a hug and listened to her talk about how skinny I got and how dark I gotten. I just laughed and gave her another hug before walking to all my aunts and uncles. It was Wednesday, everyone always come over.
“Where’s grandpa?” I asked taking a bite out of the piece of chicken on the table.
“Taking a nap.”
I just laughed and made my way up the stairs and into his room. His room was only two doors from mine. I got to the door and slowly turned the door knob. I saw him laying there in that ugly green blanket he always had. I bought that thing for him when I was about 8, it had a coyote on it and I thought it was cool. I jumped on the bed, making him jump up scared and then growing the biggest smile once he noticed it was me.
“Ay mija”, he said grabbing me into a hug.
I gave him a soft kiss on his forehead and lay down next to me. He looked down at me with tears in his eyes. The thing you need to know about my grandpa, he was a sensitive soul. I remember when I was younger we were watching Honey, we shrunk the kids, and you know the part where the Ant died? Well guess who cried? Yes, my grandpa is amazing. We walked down the stairs and I practically got thrown down to eat. I got served plate after plate.
“You’re going to make me full till tomorrow!” I yelled as my grandma threw the next plate in front of me.
“You’re too skinny”, she said packing on the rice.
I just laughed and looked over at my Dad who was laughing at the scene playing out in front of him.
“So how’s school?”
And here came the questions. Asking about classes, the roommates, if I was drinking or not and of course the boys. I denied it all, I knew my family better. After dinner I went and sat down on the couch sitting next to my brother’s wife Lauren. Lauren was about two years older than me, my brother was 4. She got pregnant with Nico and they decided to get married, they’ve never been happy.
“So tell me the truth”, she said with a laugh.
“About what?”
“You go to one of the biggest party schools in the USA, how is it?”
“It’s actually fun. Honestly I’ve gotten drunk twice”, I said with a laugh.
“You’re such a goody good”, she said with a laugh and then looked back at me raising her eyebrows up and down. “Boys?”
“That’s complicated”, I said with a laugh.
“Who is he?”
“John”, I said simply looking down at my phone seeing a text from him. I miss you already
“Picture?”
I turned my phone away and showed the picture I set to his name. She took my phone into her hand to get a better look and then handed it back with an approving smile.
“He’s hot”, she said with a laugh. “How did you guys meet?”
“Well I was lost looking for my apartment, he helped me. He’s my neighbor”, I said as she gave me a worried look.
“No, nothing happened. I swear. Last week we kissed but it was nice. He has a on and off girlfriend and I don’t think there’s much to it. Plus there’s another guy.”
“Living up the novella life out there or what?”
“Oh shut up. But there this guy Kennedy, he’s a good guy. Really nice, but I don’t know.”
“Sounds like you think of Kennedy as a friend. I’m assuming John has all your attention.”
“School does”, I said as she nodded her head with a smile.
“You really are a goody goody.”
“What are you two talking about?”
We turned around to see my brother walking in with Nico in his arms and then my brother trailing behind him.
“Just school”, Lauren said as my brother Daniel passed Nico to Lauren.
“Yeah, right.”
“It’s true.”
They both just laughed and continued talking for the rest of the night. They all went to sleep and I lay back in my bed in my old room, just looking around. Everything just seemed different in a way, but in some weird way it all seemed the same. I felt my phone vibrate as it lay on my chest.
I miss you.
This time it was from Kennedy. God, what did I get myself into?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for the comments.
Like i promised, three comments and you get an update.
I'm already working on another story, i kind of like it.
But i have three different ideas.
Anyone want's to be in the story, just let me know (;

Four comments =UPDATE