Heaven Help You

His Angel

When she had walked into the room, visions of another face had haunted and taunted her for several moments. It had taken everything in her to move again, to try and save this one as she had tried to save another. She wasn't a little girl anymore though. That had helped.

The boy's body had been moving, jerking and yanking at the sheet that was wrapped around his neck. It had goaded her into action more than anything else. She had closed the door behind her knowing that it would muffle the sounds that would be necessary to save this boy's life. If they caught him trying to commit suicide, he would go through hell for it. Renee wasn't going to allow that to happen.

She managed to loosen the sheet from around his neck and pull it off and took a deep shuddering breath of relief. Her hands were shaking as she stood up and pushed herself away from the bed before her. She continued moving until her back hit the wall. Sliding down, she hugged her legs to her chest. She was listening with half an ear to the hall outside, but no one was coming. They had probably dismissed the sounds like they did most of the things that happened in this godforsaken place.

That was all for that best though. The less that the staff knew about the truth of some of their patients, the better. Renee had learned that quickly when she had first come to stay at Maynewarren and it had been a lesson that she had taken to heart unlike some others. She bowed her head and reached up running her fingers through her dark hair as she took deep breaths and worked hard to expel the dark memories in her mind.

A whimper came from the bed and she forced herself to look up and over at the boy who had begun to curl up in a little ball. "Y-you st-stopped-"

"Hush," Renee rebuked him quietly standing up and moving over to the bed side. "Just rest. I'll be right here when you wake up," she promised looking over at the chair that still lay between her and the door.

"You should go."

She could have sworn she heard those words, but she shook her head. It was clearly just her imagination. It wasn't something that she needed to dwell on and she wouldn't. Dragging the chair over to the boy's bedside, she leaned back in it and rested her hand against a fragile hand.

She wondered if tonight would bring another dreamless sleep, or one haunted by the darkness.