Foreign Feelings

; the Sixth

Pierre's P.O.V.
I watched Eva as she licked the strawberry ice-cream off her fingers. She saw me looking and her eyes flicked up to mine. She smiled. “What?”

I shook my head. “Nothing. You're just interesting to watch.”

She looked back at the pink ice-cream like it was the most eye-catching thing in the world. “You're making me self-conscious.”

“Really?” I asked, my lips curving up in a smile.

She met my eyes again. “Yes really. Now stop it, please.”

I sighed and looked outside. We were still at The Big Banana, but inside. I took a bite out of my, yes, chocolate-coated banana. It actually didn't taste as bad as it sounded, it only looked disgusting.

“What's that thing around your neck?”

My hand immediately rose to stroke the medallion hanging around my neck. It was silver, and special, and warm. “It's our family crest.”

“Oh.” Eva stood up and put her hands on the table. “You ready to go?”

“Where?”

She smiled at me wryly and rolled her eyes. “I'm still meant to be showing you around.”

I stood up too. “Alright. I'm ready.” I shoved the rest of the chocolate-banana-thing in my mouth. “Let's go.”

Eva laughed at me. “You really shouldn't talk with your mouth full.”

“Why not?” By now the banana was gone and I could talk properly.

“Because you could choke.”

“How would that feel?”

She looked at me like I was an idiot. “Like there was something stuck in your throat.”

“No, I meant, how would you feel about that?”

We were standing really close. So close that if I reached up to touch my necklace again, the back of my hand would touch the skin of her neck.

“I think I would be sad.”

“I would too.” My voice had gone all rough, so I cleared my throat awkwardly and took a step back.

We walked towards the car in silence. I took my seat in the drivers side and turned it on. “So, ah, where to?” I drove out of the car park and started towards the highway.

“Right.”

“Where are we going?”

“For a walk.”

Image

Holy shit, this is steep,” I huffed as we reached the top of Muttonbird Island.

Eva turned around to smile at me. She was already at the top and hadn't even broken a sweat. “What does that mean?”

“What does what mean?” I stopped a few paces away from her and put my hands on my knees.

“La merde saint whatever.”

I shrugged. “This hill is just really steep, is all.”

“Hmm. Okay, I don't really care. Let's go to the other side.” She grabbed my hand and started to pull me over the top of the island, surprising me. She'd obviously surprised herself too, because she stopped and let go of my hand, wide-eyed. “Ah. Look, I'm sorry about that.”

I put my hands on her shoulders, turning her to face me. Leaning towards her, I saw her lick her lips before meeting my eyes. Those single movements had my heart beating faster in my chest and my breathing fasten. I smiled softly to hide my nerves. “Don't be.” I released her shoulders and instead held her hand. Together we walked down the grey path and over to the other side of the island.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm. Sorry it is so short.
Please, tell me what you think.