Sequel: Run the Show

Somebody Needs You

Chapter 9

“You're going out with him?” Britney asked surprised, her eyebrows disappearing high up on her forehead.

“Yes,” Katie admitted reluctantly, discarding dress after dress in her closet.

“Have you ever been out with him before?” Britney questioned skeptically, nothing good could come from this, she knew that.

“Not like this I haven't,” Katie sighed, throwing another dress onto her bed, deeming it good enough to at least be checked out closer, in the mirror.

“Has he ever even seen you drunk?”

“No,” Katie admitted quietly, feeling like she was back in grade school, getting told off for jumping from the high fence surrounding the playground…

She was talking to her best friend from LA; Britney Tomlins, a bubbly brunette originally from Portland, Oregon whom had been her first roommate when she first arrived in the City of Angeles. They’d hit it off immediately and were still very close, despite living on different coasts, and actually in different countries.

Britney was one of the few people – beside her sisters – who know practically everything about her, and that’s whom she’d called after hanging up with Luke just a while earlier. He and a few of his teammates were going out, to a club, that evening and he wanted to know if she wanted to come along, some of the others’ girlfriends were coming. She quickly learned she couldn't say no to him.

And now she was trying to get Britney to come up with a reason why this was a good idea, as well as help her find something to wear.

“You do know that this is going to turn into a disaster, right?” Britney checked, chewing on yet another carrot stick. She was always eating when she was on the phone. Always.

“You're supposed to be on my side here,” Katie pointed out, having gone through her entire closet in search of something she could wear. “You're supposed to help me feel better about this, about going out with them. I need to get a social life here in Toronto too, you know,” she pointed out.

“Does this social life have to involve the hockey players in the city?” Britney threw back.

“No,” Katie agreed. “But I already know Luke and I've been introduced to two of his teammates, I might as well spend time with them,” she figured.

“Put on something hot, pair it with some heels and act like you did when you first went out with Drew,” Britney advised her.

“But…” Katie frowned, that night really hadn’t gone down as one of the most successful ones in history.

“No buts, that’s what you're going to do,” Britney decided. “If you're going out, you might as well have fun and so what if something happens, at least you had fun when the night is over.”

“Right,” Katie nodded, holding yet another dress up in front of her as she was standing by the mirror, scrutinizing her own appearance. That one would do.

“And show legs, loads and loads of legs,” Britney reminded her. “You have a pair that needs to be shown.”

“I know,” Katie rolled her eyes. She was well aware that others thought her legs were amazing, which was why she always made sure they were highlighted, especially when she went out to a place like a club. You were supposed to flaunt what your mama gave you, right? Or something like that anyway.

Continuing to talk to Britney as she was getting ready, Katie soon finished her makeup and her hair and added some lotion to her lean legs, it gave her legs a slight shimmer which made them stand out even more. Walking back into her bedroom, she asked Britney to hold on as she quickly changed out of her dressing gown and into the dress she’d chosen and once she made sure that everything was where it was supposed to, she once again picked up her phone from her bed.

“It’ll be a good night,” Britney predicted, having moved on to something with a softer crunch than the previous carrots. “And you’ll have fun,” she decided. “I need details, remember that. Loads of details.”

Rolling her eyes, Katie straightened out in front of the mirror and deemed herself at least above average before reaching for her high heeled shoes and strapping them on. Making sure that everything was in her clutch, she ended the call with her friend, refusing to promise details, and then called a cab before adding on some perfume to the sides of her neck.

Glancing down on his watch, Luke sipped his beer as he was sitting at a table up at the VIP-balcony where his friends and teammates had decided to set up for the night. Katie had texted him a while earlier, telling him she was just leaving her place and would be there within ten minutes and he’d promised he’d keep an eye out for her to make sure that she found them.

He had yet to spot her in the crowded club, even though he had a pretty good view of the front entrance.

Turning yet another offer to dance, he realized he wanted her to get there quickly so he would stop being the only one without a girlfriend. At least it would appear like he wasn't alone, even if there wasn't anything between them. Not all of his teammates – that were coming at least – had arrived yet and so far he was the only single one there, apparently that made him the target of every woman in that particular part of the club. He was sure that some of the women who actually approached them and asked him to dance, had done so more times than once…

Avoiding eye contact with yet another bleached blonde that approached him, he nearly missed Katie as she came through the doors of the club. Staying motionless for a second, watching her glance around the place, he realized he had never actually seen her dressed up, for a night out at least, they’d had dinner on several occasions but they had never gone out to a club together.

He clearly approved as he stood up and saw the dress she was wearing. It was one of a kind, black and short, very short… Hurrying down the stairs he ignored the calls his friends made and he tried to get across the floor as quickly as possible.

“Hey,” she smiled widely as he finally reached her and she gave him a quick hug, her scent – perfume and something he couldn’t clearly place – surprising him as it enveloped him even after she took a step back.

“Right on time,” was the only thing he managed to think up as he took in her appearance up-close. The dress was short, but not too short and it showed enough cleavage to be called teasing, but not enough to be labeled slutty. He liked it. And the thin straps also gave him a great view of her neck and her shoulders.

“I always am,” she bit her lower lips slightly, once again reminding him that she was uncomfortable around new people as well as in settings like the one they were in.

“Come on, we’re upstairs,” he told her, grabbing her hand as he came up short when trying to find something cleaver to say.

“Okay,” she nodded, letting him lead her across the club before she walked up the stairs before him.

He wanted her before him to keep her from seeing some of the glares she was getting, and it also gave him a legit reason to watch her behind…without getting called out on it. Though as they climbed the stairs he found that she had two more tattoos; two Chinese signs on her shoulder blades. He also found that her shoes, if they could be called that, resembled a weapon more than something supposed to worn on feet…Then again, he was a guy and he dreaded the day his sisters would decided they needed heels, and dresses, and god forbid makeup.

Reaching the upper floor, he took her to the bar and let her order her own drink, telling the bartender to just put it on their tab. It was yet to be decided who would actually pay at the end of the evening…

“You have to promise me something,” Katie said suddenly, taking a sip from the VodkaRedBull that was served in a tall glass filled with ice and a black straw.

“What?” Luke frowned slightly.

“If I appear the slightest bit drunk,” she began slowly, just barely audible over the music in the club. “You have to keep me away from tables and bars at all time.”

“Why?” he wondered confused, he hadn’t had that many beers but she didn’t make any sense.

“Just promise me,” she insisted.

“Alright, I promise,” he nodded. “No tables and no bars,” he confirmed, silently wondering what the hell she was on about.

It wasn't till many hours later that he realized just why she’d asked him to make that promise.

Ever since he first met her, she’d been rather shy, but he had learned that she loosened up when she got to know you. Apparently, alcohol speeded up that process by a mile.

Cause once he returned from a trip to the bathroom, she – along with Tyler Bozak – was sitting on the bar top, singing their own, slightly off-key version of ‘Summer Nights’ from Grease… If he hadn’t known her he would probably have found it hilarious. But he did know her and despite the alcohol he himself had ingested, he still remembered the promise he’d made her earlier in the evening.

And he quickly – or as quickly as he could in his condition anyway – headed across the club and lifted her off the bar, carrying her back to the table they’d dubbed as theirs.

“What are you doing?” she pouted, clearly not in full control of her own actions.

“Honoring your promise,” he replied, grabbing her hand as she began humming along to the lyrics of whatever song was playing and inched closer to the table.

“You're one of the good guys,” she stated before stealing his drink and finishing off half of it.

“That’s just what every guy wants to hear,” he mumbled, taking the drink back from her and mentally deciding that she’d probably had enough by now.

“No, but you really are,” she stated, leaning closer to him, which really wasn't necessary considering that they were sitting really close already. “You're sweet, and cute, and any girl would be lucky to have you,” she told him, placing a loud kiss on his cheek, causing him to blush slightly.

He didn’t realize it then, but it was those words and that single action that caused him to begin to fall for her…
♠ ♠ ♠
Katie's outfit