Sequel: Run the Show

Somebody Needs You

Chapter 11

“Come on!” Katie exclaimed. “Now that was clearly cheating!” she insisted not tearing her eyes away from the flat screen in Luke’s living room.

“No, it wasn't,” Luke smiled widely, equally as concentrated on the game of NHL10 that was showing on the TV. It wasn't cheating per say, so he wasn't lying, but it might not have been completely by the rules either…

“Jerk,” she mumbled under her breath, her whole body twisting as she tried to make a particularly move with the player on the screen. They were in the third period and the game was tied at 3-3, surprisingly really, but she did not want to lose to him again. She was a particularly sore loser.

It was pouring down outside, by the bucket load as one of Katie’s coworkers had described it when she talked to her earlier in the day. So naturally the two of them were opting to stay inside instead of braving the weather and get soaked within the first ten steps.

They’d ended up in the living room after having eaten and it didn’t take long before they were engaged in a highly competitive game of NHL10.

Katie was pretty good at the game and Luke could honestly say that she did give him a run for the win, but if he tried just a little harder he knew that he could take over and probably win with another few goals. But for some reason, he didn’t want to do so… He guessed he wanted to keep the excitement in the game, or something.

The last couple of minutes of the game proceeded pretty much like the previous ones had; Luke was in control and Katie attacked with a vengeance every time he made a slightly mistake and as the score showed, he’d at least made three big ones.

It ended 4-3 to Luke, which caused Katie to curse before throwing the controller down on the carpet.

“You are such a sore loser,” he laughed as he put his own controller down on the floor beside him.

“You were the one who cheated,” she pouted; clearly not ready to let that go just yet.

“Will you forgive me if I let you pick the movie?” he nudged her in the shoulder, causing her to look over at him.

“Anything I want?” she questioned skeptically.

“…yes,” he hesitated. He’d let girls pick movies before and he always grew bored within the first ten minutes, that was clearly not going to get him back into her good books… “Whatever you want.”

“Great,” she perked up immediately and reached for the controller she’d thrown away earlier, before standing up and placing it next to the PS3 that was standing by the TV, heading straight for the bookcase filled with different DVDs.

Running his fingers through his hair, silently cursing himself for talking before thinking, he too got up from the floor and slowly walked through the room, preparing himself to sit through two long hours of romance and tears. Heading for the kitchen, he knew that he would need popcorn and drinks, loads of drinks…

“You seriously going to claim Superman as the better superhero?” Luke questioned astounded. To his surprise, Katie had picked ‘Superman Returns’ to watch and as the movie ended, they’d gotten into a discussion of which superhero was the better one. They were clearly not agreeing.

“Like Spiderman is so much better,” Katie shot back. “He can’t even do anything!”

“He jumps between buildings,” he argued.

“By shooting disgusting slime or whatever, yeah,” she scrunched up her nose in disgust. “Superman flies, he’s unearthly strong…” she hinted, looking at him with a facial expression that clearly dared him to argue with her logic.

“He can’t be near kryptonite,” he pointed out. “He’s about as dangerous as a baby if he is. Spiderman doesn’t have any weaknesses.”

“Superman’s hotter,” she threw back at him.

“He runs around with his underwear on top of his spandex suit,” he exclaimed. “In a cape!”

“Spiderman has spider web on his, is that so much better?” she raised her eyebrows at him. “You can’t claim that is an attractive look.”

“I'm not even going to touch that subject with a ten foot pole,” he stated, looking at her verily.

“Wimp,” she stuck her tongue out at him. “And what about Batman?” she questioned. “He’s got cool friends and an awesome car.”

“He, too, has a cape on and don’t get me started on Robin, he’s a pathetic sidekick,” he was apparently very passionate about his superheroes.

“You're just jealous,” she smirked at him. “And besides, the only reason Spiderman is even known is because of those movies and they weren’t even that good.”

“Like Superman would have 15year old girls in his fan base if it wasn't for that TV-show,” he shot back, noticing the look that was sparked in her eyes.

“You take that back,” she ordered him, pointing her finger at him.

“Hell no,” he stated frankly and before he could blink she’d jumped at him, pushing him face down into the carpet.

“Take it back!” she repeated, sitting on his back with a leg on each side of his broad torso.

“No!” he insisted, easily getting her off him and back down on the floor. The argument was soon left behind as neither of them surrendered and a slight wrestling match broke out between them.

Though it probably didn’t come as a surprise to anyone that he pretty soon had her pinned to the floor, cause really how do you compete with 6 ft 2, 215lb of pure muscle?

He was straddling her hips and holding her hands in place above her head when they became still and they just looked at each other.

Neither of them moving or saying anything, Katie sucked her bottom lip between her teeth as she looked up at him, her green eyes locking with his clear blue eyes…there was less than ten inches between them and she could practically count his eyelashes – he had a lot – and she noticed that her breathing was getting shallower.

Noticing just how close they really were, Luke blushed slightly as he recognized what position he had her in and watching her suck on her lower lips, he had to suppress a groan. She didn’t even realize what she was doing to him.

Her eyes flickering from his eyes down to his lips, she couldn’t deny the things flying through her head. The attraction between them was practically tangible…

Throwing caution to the wind, she closed the space between them and pressed her lips against his, her eyes fluttering close at the feelings it evoked.

Surprised, he quickly regained his senses and returned the kiss, letting go of her arms and bracing himself on his forearms as he slowly closed his eyes and enjoyed the new feelings.

Loosely wrapping her arms around his neck, she tangled her fingers in his hair and pulled him closer to her, letting her emotions take the lead.

A moan escaping his lips, he let his hand wander slightly, coming to a rest on the side of her ribcage, just below the spot where her bra began.

Slowly breaking the kiss, she let her eyes flutter open and she was almost scared by the emotions she could recognize in the blue eyes watching her closely. But she also recognized the feeling that bubbled up inside of her; it was nice to have someone look at you that way, with those emotions…

“Superman,” she whispered, a soft smirk across her lips before she pulled him back down and captured his lips in another kiss, this one a lot more passionate.

Smiling into the kiss, he tangled his fingers in her long blonde hair, he’d get back at her later…he was kind of busy at the moment…