Sequel: Run the Show

Somebody Needs You

Chapter 25

Having finished all she had to do for the week the previous day already, Katie had spent most of the day down with the designers. The current selection of fabrics was sending her creative streak into overdrive and she loved being able to spend her time down there.

Just before Christmas she’d had a few other designs picked up, meaning that people actually loved what she made and that the broader public actually got to buy it – and many did. That whole concept still managed to blow her away every time she thought about it. She wasn't anywhere near ready or even close to release her own line of clothes, but for the moment she was satisfied with just being one in a large pool of unnamed designers who made the everyday clothes people bought on a regular basis, from the high street stores or online.

Though most of her current sketches were a lot more couture than she had ever done before and she loved it. Evening gowns and the like was an amazing thing to draw and from what the people around her said, they were actually really good…

Her designs weren’t the only thing that had changed in her life as of late. Her New Years Eve engagement with Luke managed to raise both one and two eyebrows among the people she either told or whom simply figured it out on their own. The sparkling diamond ring she wore on her left hand might have tipped them off. More often than not, people thought that they hadn’t been together long enough for such a step. For such a huge commitment in life.

And she wasn't going to lie, those questions crossed her own mind both one, two and three times during the past weeks, but a believer in that things happen for a reason as well as gut feelings, she always told herself to just live it. They loved each other, living together hadn’t been a tenth as hard as she figured it would be and being engaged didn’t feel wrong… Sometimes she was even convinced that things were too good, that something had to happen just to even things out sort to speak…

As of yet, nothing had happened and she was praying nothing would. She was literally glowing and people around her had even told her so and she loved it; she had an amazing fiancé, she was doing what she loved and…she was surrounded by people who loved her…

Nibbling lightly on her thumbnail she added a few lines to the sketch currently in front of her and furrowed her brows as she scrutinized it. She’d been told many times before that she really was her own worst critic, there were a few times when she – design wise – was happy with something she’d made. She always found things to critique or dislike. But on her boss’ advice – more like order – she was trying to not do that, to not think over think things and let that to others to do for her. At least till she learned where to draw the line.

A knock on the door caused her to look up, smiling softly as her eyes landed on the woman standing in the doorway.

“What are you up to?” Charlotte wondered curiously, nodding towards the papers before her.

“Just sketching,” Katie shrugged slightly, a soft smile across her lips. “Are you leaving?” she noticed her friend carrying her coat in her hand and that her purse was slung over her shoulder.

“Yeah, we’re calling it a night,” Charlotte nodded. “I was talking to Ally and Bianca and we were thinking about going for a couple of drinks,” she revealed. “Are you in?” she asked, shifting slightly as shrugging on her warm coat. It was in the middle of January and Toronto was still relatively cold.

“Ehrm…” Katie hesitated for a moment. “I don’t think so,” she declined with a slight frown and a shake of the head.

“Why not?” Charlotte pouted disappointed.

“I'm tired and I have a headache,” Katie admitted softly.

“Then you should go home,” Charlotte pointed out, breaking out in a wide smile. “Don’t sit here and draw half the night.”

“I won’t, I promise,” Katie crossed her fingers in promise as her friend looked at her skeptically.

“Yeah, I’ll believe that when I see it,” Charlotte nodded slowly. “They away again?” she asked, knowing that her younger friend always seemed to work a lot of hours overtime whenever the Maple Leafs were out of town. She wasn't even that interested in hockey and she still always knew what was happening with and around the team, that’s how big of a deal it was in the city.

“Yeah,” Katie nodded. “But they’ll be home in a day or so,” she added. “But I promise, I'm just going to finish this and then I’ll head straight home.”

“Uh-huh,” Charlotte still didn’t believe her. “Well, we’re going to get going, you absolutely sure that you won’t want to come along? Just for a little while?” she checked.

“I'm sure,” Katie smiled softly. “Have fun for me too,” she told her.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Charlotte smiled, lingering for a moment before pushing herself away from the doorframe. “Don't work yourself into the ground,” she added with a smile, but still seriously before disappearing down the hall.

Laughing softly at her friend, Katie went back to the sketch before her and sighed softly. Charlotte was right, every time Luke was out of town with the team, she stayed later than usual at the office and that scared her slightly. Was she growing too dependent on him?

Sighing heavily, she glanced over at the large floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the street below and she watched the tiny snowflakes fall from the sky.

What always surprised her with Toronto was that no matter the size of the city, you could very often still see the stars almost everywhere. Maybe not smack in the middle of things, but out where she was working you could definitely see them.

Lingering for a moment, she turned her attention back to the sketch laying before her and scrutinizing it for another moment, she sighed it with her name in the bottom right corner and put it away into the growing pile of finished ones and quickly drew up new lines on a blank sheet of paper.

Her mind was over spilling with inspiration and no one was home waiting for her anyway, a few more minutes of sketching wouldn’t hurt anyone…
♠ ♠ ♠
Hockey season starts today and I'm actually giddy wth excitemen =D
I'm watching the openers from Helsinki right now and it feels good, so you got a treat today, two chapter update ;-)