Sequel: Run the Show

Somebody Needs You

Chapter 30

Glee playing on the flat screen across the room, Luke and Katie were laying sprawled out on the large living room couch, sort of watching the hit TV show as well as softly talking between themselves. Luke was having one of his rare days off and they’d spent the entire thing doing exactly nothing.

They knew they should probably have used it for something, anything they needed to get done, but they just couldn’t be bothered.

And now they’d ended up in front of the TV.

“That tickles,” she commented smiling as his fingers were drawing imaginary patterns across her stomach, beneath her top.

“I'm sorry,” he smiled, gently kissing her bare shoulder. “I just can’t wrap my head around the fact that there’s actually something growing in there,” he admitted as he placed his hand flat against her warm stomach.

“Trust me, you and me both,” she agreed as she looked down at his hand that was beneath her grey tank top.

“It’s amazing,” he commented softly.

“What?” she wondered, looking over at him as she realized she’d completely lost her bearings of the episode currently showing on the flat screen.

“We’ve created something together,” he pointed out. “That is amazing.” He’d never really thought about the whole miracle of life thing, he was a guy, a bachelor, that just wasn't something you spent time thinking about. Before he learned that he was becoming a father, that was.

Just to make sure – in case the four different tests she’d taken was wrong – Katie had taken a blood test at her doctor’s office and her doctor had called her back during the week. She was indeed pregnant. After getting it confirmed, all kinds of thoughts had passed through his mind, like the fact that it was an amazing thing that you could actually create a life…

“It is,” she agreed softly, tilting her head and brushing her lips against his. She was scared, worried, freaked out and even a bit happy. It wasn't something she’d planned, or even thought would happen for at least a few years, but it did. And she would be lying if she claimed that it wasn't exciting. They were going to have a baby together. They’d created a baby together.

It was exciting, she’d always liked babies but she still had a bit of a trouble imagining that she would actually have a baby of her own in just a few months… When she was younger she’d always imagined that she wanted to be a young mother, and she wasn't 23 yet, that counted as young, but she wasn't sure that she was ready for it at the moment.

She had a career she loved, that she wanted to take further in the future and a baby just hadn’t been a part of her life plan as of late. That would have to change, quickly, she knew that and a part of her was sad about that, but a larger part was happy. They were happy together, they were engaged and they were planning a wedding, and now they were having a baby. All in all, that was a good thing and she was happy about it.

.:ӝ:.

Her long hair pulled into a lose ponytail, Katie smiled softly to Luke as they walked down the – to her – familiar hallways of her doctor’s office hand in hand. The fact that she was pregnant was confirmed, but they still weren’t sure of how far along she was or when her calculated due date was. That were things they would find out that day as she was scheduled for an exam and her first ultrasound.

“This is weird,” he commented as they turned another corner and the nurse showed them into the room.

“That’s just cause you’ve never had to come here before,” she smiled amused as she climbed onto the stretcher alongside the room, and she was silently happy that he wasn't going to be seeing the other chair, the one that every woman hates when she has to go to the gynecologist, cause that would leave him scared for life, she was sure of it.

Her doctor arriving shortly after, he was introduced as the future father before Katie was examined, questioned as well as measured, both weight and height were registered and she silently recognized that that was something women probably didn’t want to know. Especially considering the fact that the numbers would be increased a lot during the coming months.

“Alright, well, we’re done with all the paper work so we can proceed with the ultrasound,” Dr LeBlanc smiled as she looked between her patient and her fiancé. “If you just scoot further up the bed and pull up your shirt,” she instructed Katie who did just that.

Lying on the stiff bed, a starched pillow beneath her head, she pulled up her plain, v-necked top to expose her stomach, bunching the fabric beneath where her bra began – a bra that was new. Apparently it didn’t take nine months for your breasts to grow, she was already up two sizes, much to Luke’s appreciation, but she was silently wondering where it would stop, she liked shopping but she didn’t have the finances to go bra-shopping every month…

Undoing the button on her jeans, she shifted slightly as Dr LeBlanc got the machine set up and Luke simply sat in the chair beside the stretcher, loosely holding her hand. He really had no idea what was happening.

“This is going to be a bit cold,” Dr LeBlanc apologized before applying a large amount of gel on Katie’s still flat stomach and then turning on the large machine standing next to the stretcher. Pressing the transducer to the area where the gel was applied she moved it back and forth for a moment as Katie and Luke both looked at the large screen, wondering what the hell they were looking at. All they saw was black and white dots all over the place.

“Let’s see,” Dr LeBlanc said, moving the transducer once more. “There it is,” she smiled widely as she stopped moving her hand and something appeared on the screen. “That’s your baby,” she told them as she glanced over at them, pointing at the shape on the screen. “And that’s their heartbeat,” she continued, motioning towards the fluttering in the shape.

“Wow,” Katie breathed. “That’s really in there,” she mumbled. Suddenly it all became so real…

Luke was speechless; he had no idea what to say. The news that they were having a baby was easy to digest, at least compared to this, seeing his baby on a screen. Seeing their heartbeat, it made is so real.

“I love you,” he stated as he leaned over and pressed his lips against Katie’s cheek before settling back down on his chair.

“I love you too,” Katie blushed slightly, glancing over at him before returning her gaze to the screen.

“Let’s see if we can hear their heartbeat,” Dr LeBlanc suggested as she pressed a few different buttons and the room was filled with a fast-beating sound.

“That’s amazing,” Katie mumbled, hating the fact that tears were escaping the corner of her eyes. She knew about the hormones and all that, but this was just ridiculous.

Continuing the ultrasound part of the examination, Dr LeBlanc soon printed out a couple of pictures before turning off the machine and handing Katie some paper towels to clean up the gel that was now spread out over much of her stomach area before returning to her computer and adding some notes onto her chart.

“So by my calculations,” Dr LeBlanc began as she turned back around to the couple, “you're about eight weeks pregnant and your estimated due date will be…September 1,” she smiled as she looked up at them. “You have any questions?”

“No, not at the moment,” Katie was much to dazed to think of anything she might need to ask, and just by looking at Luke she knew he was feeling about the same. “But I’ll call if I think of anything,” she promised as she buttoned her jeans again and pulled down her top.

“Sounds good,” Dr LeBlanc nodded smiling. “And I’ll see you in about a month,” she continued as Katie got off the stretcher and shook her hand. “It was nice meeting you,” she smiled, shaking Luke’s hand before the two of them put on their jackets and Katie picked up her bag in which she’d put the pictures of their baby.

“Thank you so much,” Katie smiled as she and Luke slowly walked out of the office.

“That was amazing,” Luke said softly, wrapping his arm around her shoulders and pulling her closer to him, kissing the top of her head. “That’s actually in there. Our baby,” he added smiling widely.

“Yeah,” she nodded, the reality of the situation finally setting in. “You know what I want?” she asked as they boarded the elevator.

“No?”

“Ice cream,” Katie smiled widely. “And pickles and liquorish,” she added after a second.

“Together?” he frowned as he pressed the button for the garage.

“Of course,” she confirmed simply.

“Okay,” he nodded slightly.

So this is what the guys had been talking about when they claimed their wives or girlfriends had weird cravings when they were pregnant…