Sequel: Run the Show

Somebody Needs You

Chapter 31

The first time you meet your future in-laws, you usually don’t picture yourself nine weeks pregnant, engaged and already living together… But that’s exactly where Katie found herself just a week after her first sonogram.

Luke’s parents and sisters were visiting them in Toronto and it would mark the first time she actually met his family. She’d talked to his mother on the phone a handful of times and they’d actually gotten along fine. But meeting them in person was a completely different thing.

She’s be lying is she said that she wasn't worried. She really didn’t want to become one of those women who just hated their mother-in-law and constantly bickered with them. And considering just how close Luke was to his mother; that could very well present a rather big problem was it to happen…

His family had arrived the previous day, he’s picked them up from the airport after practice, and it had honestly been a bit hesitant when they first met. But as Rita had announced during the somewhat strained silence that spread throughout the condo when they first arrived, Katie was carrying her and Jeff's first grandchild.

Thankfully, some of the awkwardness dispersed after that and Katie knew when to be grateful for the little things in life, that was clearly one of those times.

Dinner passed fabulously and she was soon roped into playing with Madison and Macy on the living room floor. Macy was more inclined to play with the Barbie’s she’d brought along than Madison, but the big sister played along and Katie was immediately thrown back into a time when she and Kirsten had been playing with the plastic dolls with unreal proportions.

Madison and Macy having been sent to bed, or rather the living room couch where they would be sleeping considering that the condo only had one guestroom, the four of them had moved into the kitchen. And sitting around the table, Katie couldn’t help but be very thankful that both Jeff and Rita – apart from the slight awkwardness when they first met – welcomed her with opened arms to their family.

Like any grandmother-to-be, Rita was very excited when Katie showed her the grainy pictures from the sonogram they’d just been to. And much to Luke’s chagrin, his mother seemed to lose any and all filter when it came to talking about the times she’d been expecting him and Brayden, as well as his two younger sisters. Every complaint, every disgusting side effect they never told you about and every nasty habit seemed to be fair game and for a moment he wondered if he should be regretting to the whole thing.

Albeit it was a bit late for that, but he also realized that there wasn't a fiber in his body that wanted to change a single thing between them. Sure, they were young, they hadn’t been together that long and they probably should have waited for a bit longer, but watching his mother interacting with Katie, his fiancée, over sonogram pictures of his son or daughter, the same pictures he had already put on his phone, there wasn’t a thing he wanted to change.

“You have to come visit us over in Saskatoon before the baby is born,” Rita decided as she clasped Katie’s hand in her own. “And we have to arrange a time when we can meet the rest of your family so we can all get to know each other,” she continued. “Luke said you have siblings around Madison’s age?”

“Mom,” Luke said, a slightly warning tone to his voice. He knew her and was used to her random rants and tangents, but Katie wasn't and he didn’t want her to become overwhelmed by it all.

But Katie only laughed as she glanced over at him. “Yeah, I have a brother who just turned 15 and a sister who turned 11 back in October. And my niece is also eleven,” she told the other woman.

“We have to arrange for them all to meet, they would have so much in common,” Rita smiled satisfied. When she first heard about Katie from her son, she was very positive. But upon hearing about the pregnancy, she had practically popped a vein as all kinds of scenarios flashed through her mind, everything from her being a gold-digger to her son being a stupid, irresponsible idiot.

As a mother she was more inclined towards the theories similar to the first one. Obviously.

But meeting the woman in question, who her oldest son claimed had captured his heart in a way he had never experienced before; she realized that she was actually a really nice woman. And she made her first born very happy.

Not to mention, she’d learned more about Katie’s career and everything she did to support herself. Nothing she’d learned fit into the gold-digger category.

And that made her a very happy woman. All a mother wants is for their child to be happy. And Rita could clearly see that Luke was very happy at the moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
This has to be one of the worst filler-chapters I've ever written, and for that I apologise =P
But I hope you liked it anyway